Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

weight gain after 2nd baby?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

newbie to this forum, 5-6wks pregnant with my 2nd :):)

My main worry at this moment (:D) is that I am quite anxious about weight gain during pregnancy and after the birth.
    I piled on 4 stone with my first pregnancy but im going to be a heck of alot more careful this time as it took a few years to get the weight off.. 2 1/2 years.
    did anyone find with their 2nd their weight gain wasn't so bad?
    Any advice will be quite helpful!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Hi there, you are probably into your third trimester by now and feeling massive but I'd just like to reassure you. I too put on four stone in my first pregnancy- I've always had to watch my weight and went a bit nuts when i was pregnant, especially with not smoking. I was horrified when I gave birth and realised how little of what I was carrying around was baby and how much of it was now all me...I didn't manage to lose all the weight before I got pregnant again but was much more conscious of what I was eating second time around. I found it much easier to lose the baby weight after the second baby, especially running around after a toddler and breastfeeding. I did have to put the foot down tho and insist on some time for myself to go and exercise without kids, which meant my oh had to step up a bit.

Hope your pregnancy is happy and healthy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is down to the person themselves some people pile on the pounds others don't.
    Lots of walking will help.
    I put more weigh on during maternity leave then as a result of pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I think what you have to remember when you're pregnant is that the old saying you're eating for 2 is BS :D you only need an extra 200 calories per day... try to snack on fruits and drink loads of water and juices. I know it's easier said than done and with cravings it does get difficult. Walking and swimming are great, especially swimming when you're bigger, it takes the weight off everything :)

I've been so lucky with my last one, i was craving plums peppers and water and this one i'm craving oranges.. funny thing, with my 2nd girl i craved beetroot.. by the bucketload.. and she loves it:). I also find keeping chewing gum handy can help with icky tummy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I kept 1 stone of baby weight after my first and nothing with my second helped by the fact that he was 5 weeks premature. with my 3rd i kept another stone in weight and cant loose it (even after 4 years).

As long as you have a healthy baby it doesnt matter how little or how much weight you gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Yeah i had that too, put on a stone after my first that never went.. no matter how much i ran or didn't eat.. i lost weight with my 2nd and third but i was really sick through the 9 months.. this time i've just got nausea.. no throwing up so i can just imagine how hard it'll be to keep the weight off :eek::( but what the hell .. i'll be running after 4 of them at that stage (hopefully all going well) so it might keep me out of the fridge :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

thanks for the replies.

I'm 32 weeks now..wow that went faaaaaaaast!!

I have put on 1 1/2 stone, it seems more due to swollen hands and face and cankles teehhee. I moved house and there's a nice garage conversion which i'm going to put a cross trainer and some other exercise machine. So I don't think i've done too badly and will have the motivation to get off the excess weight after.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have been actively encouraged to gain weight with my daughter after her brother was so small at birth - as it was he was only 4lb 11oz when he was born so I am trying to make sure that my daughter is not as small - I lost the weigth with him a month after he was born, would like to take longer with her. The way that I look at it I just want my children to be happy and healthy, so what if I carry baby weight around for a while afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Not a parent but I thought I'd share this. It's a website called 'Shape of a Mother' where women can discuss their pregnancy and post-pregnancy bodies. At the very least it should reassure that you're not alone in feeling insecure about baby weight.

http://theshapeofamother.com/

Advertisement