Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procedure for recieving a ticket

• 21-07-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Was informed I'd be receiving my first 'ticket' after 8 years of driving the other day.

I was driving in traffic and got stuck in the wrong lane at the set of traffic lights (I was in left turn only lane, but intended going straight). I was first in line in my lane at the lights, so when they changed I pulled off quickly so I could pull in and merge in front of traffic in the 'straight-ahead' lane.

I merged with the other lane as intended. There was another set of traffic lights about 200m up the road. When stopped at the lights a car (not a squad car, didn't even look to be an unmarked car) pulled up beside me and asked me to roll down the window - the person in the other car informed me he was a garda on his way to work and that I'd be getting a 'ticket' for 'that little maneouver'. I was slightly shell shocked so just responded to the tune of 'ok' or something like that.

That was the extent of the conversation, he put up his window and drove off when the lights changed - I wasn't told exactly what my offence was (as in what fine/points I can expect) or what the procedure going forward would be.

Is this acceptable practice on his part? I would have assumed there would be an obligation to pull me in and explain what my specific offence was and what the penalty would be/would happen next etc..?

Comments

Roneyc wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was informed I'd be receiving my first 'ticket' after 8 years of driving the other day.

I was driving in traffic and got stuck in the wrong lane at the set of traffic lights (I was in left turn only lane, but intended going straight). I was first in line in my lane at the lights, so when they changed I pulled off quickly so I could pull in and merge in front of traffic in the 'straight-ahead' lane.

I merged with the other lane as intended. There was another set of traffic lights about 200m up the road. When stopped at the lights a car (not a squad car, didn't even look to be an unmarked car) pulled up beside me and asked me to roll down the window - the person in the other car informed me he was a garda on his way to work and that I'd be getting a 'ticket' for 'that little maneouver'. I was slightly shell shocked so just responded to the tune of 'ok' or something like that.

That was the extent of the conversation, he put up his window and drove off when the lights changed - I wasn't told exactly what my offence was (as in what fine/points I can expect) or what the procedure going forward would be.

Is this acceptable practice on his part? I would have assumed there would be an obligation to pull me in and explain what my specific offence was and what the penalty would be/would happen next etc..?

There will be no ticket. If someone claims to be a Garda ask to see their ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roneyc

Thanks for the reply.

It did look like he was wearing a garda uniform alright - could see the collar. I had assumed to issue a ticket they would have to pull you over and give you a chance to ask to see their ID etc, but would have been difficult to do that sitting in traffic stopped at lights. I was also wasn't asked for my licence/insurance/address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

He was winding you up I'd say, might have been a Guard, might not.
    Years ago, I was stopped by an angry Guard who took offence to me tipping the horn when she undertook me, after tailgating me, as I tried to move into a newly emerged left turn lane. She told me to produce my licence and insurance a my nearest station within seven days (despite having both on me at the time). The desk Sergeant was not amused and wanted her name but I hadn't written it down.
    A couple of weeks later, a colleague whose brother was a Guard figured it out as she had arrived in late for her shift, effing & blinding about someone making her late for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Roneyc wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

It did look like he was wearing a garda uniform alright - could see the collar. I had assumed to issue a ticket they would have to pull you over and give you a chance to ask to see their ID etc, but would have been difficult to do that sitting in traffic stopped at lights. I was also wasn't asked for my licence/insurance/address.

You do not have to be pulled over or have anything explained to you to receive a fine. You also do not have to be asked to produce insurance etc. If it was a Garda then they have the reg of the car you were driving and a fine will be issued to the registered owner. If it was not the registered owner driving the car then there is a section on the fine for them to nominate who was. Failing to do so will result in a fine for the registered owner.

You may get a fine, you may not. Only time will tell.

bravestar wrote: »
    You do not have to be pulled over or have anything explained to you to receive a fine. You also do not have to be asked to produce insurance etc. If it was a Garda then they have the reg of the car you were driving and a fine will be issued to the registered owner. If it was not the registered owner driving the car then there is a section on the fine for them to nominate who was. Failing to do so will result in a fine for the registered owner.

You may get a fine, you may not. Only time will tell.

The FCPN office have a different view to you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

foreign wrote: »

Which is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

foreign wrote: »
    bravestar wrote: »
    Which is?

FCPN = Fixed Charge Penalty Notice.

Office based in Thurles. Look out for a letter from them. Chances are it won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

sdeire wrote: »
    FCPN = Fixed Charge Penalty Notice.

Office based in Thurles. Look out for a letter from them. Chances are it won't happen.

I think he was asking what the different view was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There are instances where tickets can be issued without the driver being pulled over.

Discussing them here would be a breach of the charter whereby internal practices and procedures would be discussed.

More info here http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=1649

OP if you are very concerned about this maybe call to your local station and have it queried, or else contact the FCPN in Thurles.

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement