Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining other police forces?

• 28-06-2014 12:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Has anyone else here who doesnt wanna wait another 3 years + to join the gardai thought of joining other forces like thames valley ect? ....

The reason I ask is because a lad I know who moved to england a fe years ago has joined and seems to love it. I remember him in school and he wasnt the brightest and he's only 5'6. However, He was telling me he found it very easy to get accepted simply because they have an ongoing recruitment process.

I'm really starting to think a move like that might be for me. Anyone else thought of that? and anyone here give me advice if they've made a similar move.. btw i'm from Dublin

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Has anyone else here who doesnt wanna wait another 3 years + to join the gardai thought of joining other forces like thames valley ect? ....

The reason I ask is because a lad I know who moved to england a fe years ago has joined and seems to love it. I remember him in school and he wasnt the brightest and he's only 5'6. However, He was telling me he found it very easy to get accepted simply because they have an ongoing recruitment process.

I'm really starting to think a move like that might be for me. Anyone else thought of that? and anyone here give me advice if they've made a similar move.. btw i'm from Dublin

Thanks...
    My advice is don't jump to conclusions about people Just because school wasn't where they excelled.

• You need to be resident in the UK for a minimum period now before you can join their forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

foreign wrote: »
    You need to be resident in the UK for a minimum period now before you can join their forces.

Do the Gardai require you to be resident in Ireland prior to joining/applying?

Because you could live and work in the uk applying to forces there while in tandem applying for the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

foreign wrote: »
    You need to be resident in the UK for a minimum period now before you can join their forces.

Not all of them, and a few Irish have been waived that requirement lately. The rural locations tend to have less of a requirement for their officers to have Developed Vetting or other clearances so they can let RoI in. I know that here in Scotland they waiv it for Irish lads.

One reason I joined the British Army was to get my 5 years clearance done, so I could join the met... then they went and moved the goalposts, the ****.

Advertisement