Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU rules publishers cannot stop you reselling your downloaded games

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Helix wrote: »
    all that'll happen is that you dont buy games on steam/xbla/etc any more, you just rent them, for a term of say 100 years

if you dont own them you cant sell them

I'm all for increasing a consumers ownership over digital goods because frankly the abusive EULA's that publishers try to force on consumers are pretty not legally binding in Europe but I'm afraid something like this will come about and I really don't want a future where you don't own anything you've bought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well you dont really own the dvds on your shelf either, yeah you can resell them but there are restrictions on where you can play them from what I remember. if you actually owned it you'd be well able to play it in a hospital or any other public setting without needing to get permission from the copyright holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

well you dont really own the dvds on your shelf either, yeah you can resell them but there are restrictions on where you can play them from what I remember. if you actually owned it you'd be well able to play it in a hospital or any other public setting without needing to get permission from the copyright holders.

They are exception to that, it's mostly when money is involved that you need permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Valve could face charges in Europe over Steam's user agreement

I wasn't really sure where to put this update since it technically relates more to Valve updating their ToS however, it's this bit...
    On top of these charges, the Federation wants to ensure that Valve's new user agreement meets the requirements of a recent European court ruling that says that game publishers cannot block European customers from reselling downloadable game

that I believe will prove most interesting since it'll be the first official legal challenge on this matter to date, with respect to games at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Things are about to get interesting.

Does origin gets some whiling too? Or only steam getting the worse of it?

I personally don't really care about it, because I won't be selling my games anyway, but I never though eu will pursue it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

All Valve need to do to prevent this is to give people an in game item in one of their games exclusively reserved to for people who have not sold games (ala cheaters lament in TF2)

Straight away, a good chunk of people wouldnt do it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I personally don't really care about it, because I won't be selling my games anyway, but I never though eu will pursue it

It's not the EU, it's a federation of consumer agencies. I'd say they are testing how tight this law is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Anyone know if there's been any update on this ?
    It was huge news a few months ago, but has seemed to have died away since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Not sure about Valve or other companies, but Blizzard seem to have taken a complete cold shoulder to this and ignored it.

I contacted them regarding selling my diablo 3 account and they refused to assist me and informed me it is not possible.

Not sure about Valve or other companies, but Blizzard seem to have taken a complete cold shoulder to this and ignored it.

I contacted them regarding selling my diablo 3 account and they refused to assist me and informed me it is not possible.

The latest I read was that Valve weren't going to change their policies or allow steam to do this until they were taken to court or some action which forces them into it.

• Advertisement

Unless it is challenged in court they can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

thing is a doubt any valve user will be bothered though. it will cost more in lawsuit then whatever games are worth.

so i doubt we will see any changes. though i dont really care about it. i love my games and i plan on sticking with them.

I'd happily give away half the games I own to people who would appreciate them more than myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'd happily give away half the games I own to people who would appreciate them more than myself.

That's my only real hangup with digital media. You can't give them to people when you're done to see what they think. For a lot of people, they'd be easily put off by a lot of things like Fantasy but when they get one for free it can open up brand new tastes for them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That's my only real hangup with digital media. You can't give them to people when you're done to see what they think. For a lot of people, they'd be easily put off by a lot of things like Fantasy but when they get one for free it can open up brand new tastes for them.

I'm not even referring to games I've played.

I've easily 100 games, that have come in "bundles" or "packs" that I've never installed, never used the Serial/CDKey for and have no intention of doing so either.

You should be allowed to give these away if you've never attempted to install them on your account

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wonder if Steam'll try to take a cut of these sales though, or even if it'd be legal for them to do so.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement