Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pregnancy test - take it now, or wait til tomorrow morning???

• 19-02-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a clearblue test, and I really want to take it asap, but it says I should test first thing in the morning if I'm testing before my period is due, or any time of the day if my due date is passed.

I really don't know if I'm due / late. My periods for the last while have been a bit all over the place. I've been off the pill 2 years, and looking back over my calendar they're on average 5 weeks apart (they've really been all different lengths between), but I did notice once last summer it was after ~6 weeks. At that time there was _no_ chance I could have been pregnant. Now the chance is very slim, but it's still there.

My last period was 4-7 Jan, so it's been ~6.5 weeks. Take the test now or wait the longest night of my life til the morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You're better off waiting. I know it's hard but the first urine of the day would have the most amount of hormone in it if you are pregnant and would give the best result. You could always take the test now and if it's negative/positive take another in the morning just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The levels of the hormone you are looking for will be higher in your urine first thing in the morning, so you should get a more accurate result.
    However, if you are 'late' by a week or so, then it really ought to show you a positive result now, if you are pregnant.
    Even if you take it now, to satisfy your nerves, you will probably have to do another one in the morning anyway if it's negative, and then everyday until your period arrives.... or you get a positive...

It's really up to you... but I'd do it now and do another one in the morning.

I did a clearblue digi and it came up positive at night- still did another in the morning!

Good luck... hope you get the answer that's right for you

x

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're using the clear blue then I'd wait until first thing in the morning. If you really can't wait, and there's a late night pharmacy near you, grab a First Response one, you can use them any time of the day. When I found out I was pregnant, I took a clearblue test first thing in the morning and it came up negative, but I just had a funny feeling and my hubby went out and bought some first response tests. They said I could take them any time of the day, so I took one that afternoon and it was positive, I also took another one that evening :o and it was positive too.

Is it a multipack? If so, like January suggested, take one tonight and another in the morning. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I couldn't wait (for my guest message to be moderated) so I went ahead & did it this afternoon. Negative so far. It's put my mind at rest (for today at least!) Think I'll give it a few more days, and if there's no sign of my period by Tuesday morning (that'll be a full 7 weeks), test again.
    Thanks for the advice though, will try first response next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I never read the pack! I did my test at 20:30 at night, positive, supermarket brand.

I was 7 weeks pregnant (according to my 13wk scan)

I was v. irregular, didnt have a period for 6 months before the one where I got pregnant.

By the time I went to the doc, she said hormone levels were low but they picked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

Sorry it was negative!maybe in a few days it will be positive! Best of luck.!

Advertisement