Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underclocking an iBook

Options
  • 19-12-2005 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭

Right, first off the bat: when are you ever going to need all the horsepower of a Radeon 9550? The short answer is, I think you'll agree, never. So let's stop wasting valuable power on it.
    1. Download ATIccelerator II. Install.
    2. Go to the new panel in System Preferences and underclock that GPU & memory!
    3. Done.

I've underclocked my GPU/mem by ±19% each, and, though I have yet to see a substantial difference in battery life, I am feeling lower temperatures!:)
    So there ya go, a quickie on getting more for less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

There's a new theory, that if you sit your laptop on your knee the heat it emits could make you impotent.

This could reduce the chances of that happening. Hurrah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have I saved humanity? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Doesnt it already underclock it self automatically when its not used?

Sarunas wrote:
    Doesnt it already underclock it self automatically when its not used?
    I think that's the processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Scr&#225 wrote: »
    There's a new theory, that if you sit your laptop on your knee the heat it emits could make you impotent.

This could reduce the chances of that happening. Hurrah! :D
    You'll notice no-one sells laptops anymore. They are all notebooks.

• Advertisement

Syth wrote:
    You'll notice no-one sells laptops anymore. They are all notebooks.
    Lappie is the affectionate name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ocelot

Right, first off the bat: when are you ever going to need all the horsepower of a Radeon 9550? The short answer is, I think you'll agree, never.

Except for the World of Warcraft users....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Handy little tool this. Used it to great effect with the wife's G3 iBook. Since the CPU & GPU share the same heatsink, there is a definate reduction in fan usage. Dont go too low on the RAM clock though, or you'll get artifacts.

Of course improves battery life a little too.

Depending on your other specs of your machine, you can get away with half or even less GPU clock unless you plan gaming of course! im at 70% GPu reduction with no noticable change in UI performance.

Any idea what demands MPG/AVI video have? I'm running mine at -42%/-26% (121.5/136Mhz) for the while

Hmm... battery life lately does seem a little erratic to me lately, though. Not sure if it's Firefox demanding or not...

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Any idea what demands MPG/AVI video have? I'm running mine at -42%/-26% (121.5/136Mhz) for the while

Not much a all. A DVD can get away with 2MB of VRAM without any problems. Aside form gaming, the first thing to slow down would be OS X's UI. with 70% reduction I haven't noticed a difference in the UI and of course, all DVD's/Divx video play fine.

• Advertisement

Hmm... gonna run it at 99/100Mhz (-53/-45%); see what that does...

keep the RAM high or you might get artifacts.

Advertisement