Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand railway books

• 15-11-2014 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know anyone who might buy same....shop or something? about 100

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

corktina wrote: »

ebay is the best for getting fair prices on railway stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Are they Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    ebay is the best for getting fair prices on railway stuff.

not really as books are heavy and the postage makes them too expensive imo.

Are they Irish?

some of them but as you know there aren't a good many Irish Railway books, so mostly they are English. Some of them date back 50 years or so

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clifton Flewitt (I think...) who has the second hand book stands at various shows would be worth contacting.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Clifton Flewitt (I think...) who has the second hand book stands at various shows would be worth contacting.

He's not going to buy them from you though - better bring them to your nearest charity shop.

He's not going to buy them from you though - better bring them to your nearest charity shop.

:-( probably right if you don't want them. Maybe I'll drop them off in Downpatrick

:-( probably right if you don't want them. Maybe I'll drop them off in Downpatrick

or Dromod, preferably from a great height. :D

or Tralee, could jack up number 5 with them whilst the diesel engine is fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

or Dromod, preferably from a great height. :D
    No violence, keep it clean, maybe deliver them personal JD, an olive branch, a symbol of peace, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know someone who did sell a number of books (duplicates) to him recently. He has to get his stock from somewhere!

L1011 wrote: »
    I know someone who did sell a number of books (duplicates) to him recently. He has to get his stock from somewhere!

Usually from deceased members.

Usually from deceased members.

This person was neither deceased nor an IRRS member, although it was a large enough amount of all-Irish books.

I'm so glad to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place for this.

I'm interested in getting a book/manual that explains how the old Irish semaphore signalling system worked.

I've tired google, etc. but can't seem to find anything.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I don't know of a specific book, but several books I have read give a good idea of a signalman's life. Try various books by Adrian Vaughan for instance. If you have specific questions, I'm sure we could answer them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Feed Up wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm interested in getting a book/manual that explains how the old Irish semaphore signalling system worked.

Many thanks.

you should keep an eye on ebay, old Irish signaling rule books pop up there from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Feed Up wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks.

I may have something of use to you; PM me and I'll have a look in my archive/brown box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is a uk site that explains most things, we followed British practice, pretty much anyway.

http://www.signalbox.org/signals.shtml

Advertisement