Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joining the Civil Defense

• 12-08-2014 11:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering how exactly does the process of joining go, im 24 and in county clare

1: How long does it take from start to finish to join?
    2: Whats the average age in the Civil Defense ?
    3: What can someone new expect to be doing at first?
    4: Ive seen on the CD site that there are alot of apsects to it, do you get to train in alot of these or do you pick one specifically and stick with that?

Im genuinely intrested in joining, cause at the moment im not doing a whole pile and i think it d be a great way of making myself useful while learning some skills,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Each county differs to varying degrees, so the answers I give mightn't be true for Clare. If you email the Civil Defence Officer (CDO) for Clare, they will be able to tell you more. Civil Defence covers five disciplines - First Aid, Search and Rescue, Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS), Welfare, and Radiological Survey. Most units these days are multi-disciplinary so you train in all skills, I believe some areas do still have dedicated units, the AFS Dublin for example.

1) Here in Sligo training classes run from October to April so all you do is turn up, fill in the form, and you're in. Training doesn't take place during the summer so if you miss that, you'll have to wait for classes to resume. In Dublin I believe there are waiting lists, although this might just be for high-demand units such as the Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS), again your local CDO will be able to answer this. You will need to complete a Garda Vetting form as well, which can take a long time to process, but doesn't affect things as you won't be given any duties during the initial training period anyway.

2) There's really a very broad age range, you'll have some 18 year-olds who have joined to make their Garda application look better, you'll have 60 year-olds who have time on their hands and want to help out in the community, and everybody in between.

3) Again, this will vary depending on your unit, but here you'd spend the winter at weekly training which would cover different topics, for example, search techniques, use of radios, food safety, and pump drills. You'd also be trained to the CFR first-aid standard. During the first summer then you might be on duty for a few events where we provide first-aid cover, but it would generally be in an more of an observer role than anything else, and you'd participate in any training exercises. In the second year your first-aid level would be brought up to OFA, or the new FAR standard and after that you'd be more involved in events.

4) As stated, it varies from county to county. For example, Sligo doesn't have a fire tender so there isn't really much AFS work - we do a little training in pump drills each year, but otherwise that aspect doesn't come into it much. There's a very capable Mountain Search & Rescue team based in Sligo too so while we do train in it, it's not usually something we're called upon for. Having said that, there was a search carried out in the last few weeks, but I think that was the first time for years. Most of our activity is providing medical cover for planned events.

Do contact your local unit, you'll find the CDO will answer all your questions, I've found it's great as well for your all-round confidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

ectoraige wrote: »
    Each county differs to varying degrees, so the answers I give mightn't be true for Clare. If you email the Civil Defence Officer (CDO) for Clare, they will be able to tell you more. Civil Defence covers five disciplines - First Aid, Search and Rescue, Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS), Welfare, and Radiological Survey. Most units these days are multi-disciplinary so you train in all skills, I believe some areas do still have dedicated units, the AFS Dublin for example.

1) Here in Sligo training classes run from October to April so all you do is turn up, fill in the form, and you're in. Training doesn't take place during the summer so if you miss that, you'll have to wait for classes to resume. In Dublin I believe there are waiting lists, although this might just be for high-demand units such as the Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS), again your local CDO will be able to answer this. You will need to complete a Garda Vetting form as well, which can take a long time to process, but doesn't affect things as you won't be given any duties during the initial training period anyway.

2) There's really a very broad age range, you'll have some 18 year-olds who have joined to make their Garda application look better, you'll have 60 year-olds who have time on their hands and want to help out in the community, and everybody in between.

3) Again, this will vary depending on your unit, but here you'd spend the winter at weekly training which would cover different topics, for example, search techniques, use of radios, food safety, and pump drills. You'd also be trained to the CFR first-aid standard. During the first summer then you might be on duty for a few events where we provide first-aid cover, but it would generally be in an more of an observer role than anything else, and you'd participate in any training exercises. In the second year your first-aid level would be brought up to OFA, or the new FAR standard and after that you'd be more involved in events.

4) As stated, it varies from county to county. For example, Sligo doesn't have a fire tender so there isn't really much AFS work - we do a little training in pump drills each year, but otherwise that aspect doesn't come into it much. There's a very capable Mountain Search & Rescue team based in Sligo too so while we do train in it, it's not usually something we're called upon for. Having said that, there was a search carried out in the last few weeks, but I think that was the first time for years. Most of our activity is providing medical cover for planned events.

Do contact your local unit, you'll find the CDO will answer all your questions, I've found it's great as well for your all-round confidence.

Nice one thanks for the info! I applied online, would it be better if i just show up at the CD ?

Will i have to wait for training before i can do anything or we ll you be allowed chip in the same as everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sciscitatio

I see you had some more questions that have not been answered, did you join CD yet, or would you like me to answer them as best I can :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

I see you had some more questions that have not been answered, did you join CD yet, or would you like me to answer them as best I can :)

No havent joined yet, they emailed me back about an opening night in September so have to wait till then. Yeah if you wouldnt mind! no harm getting as much info as possible! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sciscitatio

evo2000 wrote: »
    No havent joined yet, they emailed me back about an opening night in September so have to wait till then. Yeah if you wouldnt mind! no harm getting as much info as possible! :D

Cool, well, I know you are looking at Clare, and not Dublin who I have had experience with, but I'm sure it's similar.
    Generally, after the opening night, they will run an induction course, this is just to ensure people understand what they are getting into, in Dublin its not really a test, rather just a session. No pass or fail sort of thing. After this you will then be stationed with a unit in Clare, close to you I guess. They start your full training each week. At the beginning they ideally will not have you out on events until you reach a minimum standard, this is for your own safety as much as theirs.
    After this they will then allow you go to events, etc., and it's really down to your own time management as to how much you can do, my advice would be to get to everything you can, I find it's the people that start to miss the odd training or event that then fall behind and after awhile just drop out. You will know very quickly if you like it or not.
    But as the last poster noted, it really depends on the unit, if its first aid, you need to pass a course before they let you to an event, if its fire, its more their own training or it could be both etc.

If you have any precise questions, just post them and I or someone else will try answer. After that, best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Cool, well, I know you are looking at Clare, and not Dublin who I have had experience with, but I'm sure it's similar.
    Generally, after the opening night, they will run an induction course, this is just to ensure people understand what they are getting into, in Dublin its not really a test, rather just a session. No pass or fail sort of thing. After this you will then be stationed with a unit in Clare, close to you I guess. They start your full training each week. At the beginning they ideally will not have you out on events until you reach a minimum standard, this is for your own safety as much as theirs.
    After this they will then allow you go to events, etc., and it's really down to your own time management as to how much you can do, my advice would be to get to everything you can, I find it's the people that start to miss the odd training or event that then fall behind and after awhile just drop out. You will know very quickly if you like it or not.
    But as the last poster noted, it really depends on the unit, if its first aid, you need to pass a course before they let you to an event, if its fire, its more their own training or it could be both etc.

If you have any precise questions, just post them and I or someone else will try answer. After that, best of luck with it.

I am looking to join the CD in Dublin I have been waiting a while now and was told that recruitment might be taking place in October some time,Could you give me the run down regarding applications and where I could be expected to be based if I was successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I am hoping to join the CD as well, I have a Category C Licence which would be handy for the AFS, I am just wondering would they put a volunteer through the D1 so as to drive a CD minibus?
    Thanks

Advertisement