Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire service

• 21-05-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

hey, looking for information, where do I apply to get into the fire service, I understand that the Guards take people through Publicjobs.ie, is it the same with the fire service?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

ak51535 wrote: »
    hey, looking for information, where do I apply to get into the fire service, I understand that the Guards take people through Publicjobs.ie, is it the same with the fire service?
    thanks

the fire service last recruited in 2007,very unlikely they will recruit again,till another 3 years. you can get info off public jobs with on going campaigns.you will get all you need to know from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The fire service is operated by local authorities, so vacancies are advertised on localgovernmentjobs.ie and on the individual local authority websites.
    The current moratorium on recruitment in the public sector has a derogation for fire service posts, so there should be jobs coming up in line with retirements etc. I think tommy57 is talking about Dublin, there are plenty of other fire services in the country, though the majority are part-time (retained).

civdef wrote: »
    The fire service is operated by local authorities, so vacancies are advertised on localgovernmentjobs.ie and on the individual local authority websites.
    The current moratorium on recruitment in the public sector has a derogation for fire service posts, so there should be jobs coming up in line with retirements etc. I think tommy57 is talking about Dublin, there are plenty of other fire services in the country, though the majority are part-time (retained).

yeah sorry i was on about dublin fire brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ak51535 wrote: »
    thanks

Be aware that you would also have to train as a paramedic and do rotations on an ambulabce aswell.

If you'd prefer strictly full time fire work you would need to join waterford fire service/ or cork/limerick etc

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ak51535

ok, thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

there is no special provisions from government for fire service recruitments or promotions, each promotion needs written approval from the dept of finance and there is no recruitment at the moment.

im a firefighter for 21 years and our numbers will drop drasticly over the next year or so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Your information is out of date, a circular dated 13th May was issed from the Dept of Environment regarding fire service appointments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bit OT but instead of starting a new thread, is a full driving license a pre-requisite for applying for the fire brigade? I would assume it'd just be a B license if it is? I don't want to find out I'm not fully eligible when recruitment does finally come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hi RaccoonQueen,

You would only be required to have a full B licence by the time you started in the job, this is usually checked when your place is called on the panel. It's not a pre-requisite for applying, you just have to make sure you get it before you start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Hi guys, i,m new here so bear with me.This might sound like a stupid question but do you have to live within a certain distance of the fire service you want to join?i.e. can you apply for a job in the dublin fire service if you live outside dublin and work shifts or do you have to be available 24/7 at a moments notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

jason99 wrote: »
    Hi guys, i,m new here so bear with me.This might sound like a stupid question but do you have to live within a certain distance of the fire service you want to join?i.e. can you apply for a job in the dublin fire service if you live outside dublin and work shifts or do you have to be available 24/7 at a moments notice.
    Normally, you would live within a reasonable distance of the fire service you intend to join.
    For retained services, you must live within a reasonable distance of the fire station to respond accordingly. However for Dublin City it is different because it's operated whereby you are sent to a 999 from the station/out and about. Not from your home like retained services are, they gather at the station and go from there.
    If you would like more information on DFB feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

can anyone tell me the average take home pay for a fire officer, i looked into joining but was put off because i would have to take a sizable wage decrease if ya go by the wage structure on the DCC website , my current salary is 67k

if you only want to join fire service for money your wasting your time. stick to your 67k job.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

tommy57 wrote: »
    if you only want to join fire service for money your wasting your time. stick to your 67k job.

I absolutely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

So your telling me people join up for the fun of attending RTA's or pulling dead bodies from canals and burning houses ,i appreciate its not all bad but nobody in their rigth mind jons without taking into account carreer prospects and financial gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

dekbhoy wrote: »
    So your telling me people join up for the fun of attending RTA's or pulling dead bodies from canals and burning houses ,i appreciate its not all bad but nobody in their rigth mind jons without taking into account carreer prospects and financial gain.
    Pulling dead bodies from canals is not always the job of the Fire Brigade.

If you think RTAs and 'pulling dead bodies from canals and burning houses' is 'fun' then you have a lot to learn in life.

Try going to an RTA @ 3 in the morning. Try risking your life gaining entry to a car that has somersaulted upside-down into a ditch,and try listening to the screams of the person in the car, then come back and preach about how it is 'fun'. I think you'll find it's not fun at all.

The paycheck comes last on your list when you are part of any rescue service. There are more important things to bring home with you such as the positive elements. For example delivering a baby in the back of an ambulance. These things are more important than your paycheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

timmywex wrote: »
    Be aware that you would also have to train as a paramedic and do rotations on an ambulabce aswell.

This applies only to Dublin Fire Brigade too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

DubMedic wrote: »
    Pulling dead bodies from canals is not always the job of the Fire Brigade.

If you think RTA's and 'pulling dead bodies from canals and burning houses' is 'fun' then you have a lot to learn in life.

Try going to an RTA @ 3 in the morning. Try risking your life gaining entry to a car that has somersaulted upside-down into a ditch,and try listening to the screams of the person in the car, then come back and preach about how it is 'fun'. I think you'll find it's not fun at all.

The paycheck comes last on your list when you are part of any rescue service. There are more important things to bring home with you such as the positive elements. For example delivering a baby in the back of an ambulance. These things are more important than your paycheck.

very well said

dfb are going to be taking in recruits shortly, not sure if there off of a panel, contact dublin city council hr dept, cork city fb wont be getting recruits for at least 2 more years!!!!

Your information is out of date, a circular dated 13th May was issed from the Dept of Environment regarding fire service appointments.

well if my info is out of date, someone must have forgotten to inform the hr dept of cork city council , by the way are you a firefighter as in a professional? or a member of civil defence?

• Advertisement

dekbhoy wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the average take home pay for a fire officer, i looked into joining but was put off because i would have to take a sizable wage decrease if ya go by the wage structure on the DCC website , my current salary is 67k

you will be a firefighter for a long time to earn 67k, im a firefighter for 21 years and just made that before tax last year, and that included a lot of overtime, remember that we are now paying the levies and lost the national pay agreement, so our takehome pay is down by at least €500 per month, so stick to your present job,youd be better off, also if you dont have a strong stomach for gruesome stuff, fatalaties etc then best forget any notions of becoming a firefighter

chief fire officer range is €78,581.00 To €94,019.00

A senior assistant chief fire officer could expect €66,514.00 To €84,446.00

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

timmywex wrote: »
    chief fire officer range is €78,581.00 To €94,019.00

A senior assistant chief fire officer could expect €66,514.00 To €84,446.00

FYI- Two tier entry system. Fire fighters don't get to progress up the ranks to chief. If you want those wages then go to college.

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    FYI- Two tier entry system. Fire fighters don't get to progress up the ranks to chief. If you want those wages then go to college.

Naturally, think its 5 years engineering expirience aswell,

8 for chief iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

ok i've a few stupid questions here. i'm just after failing a medical for the gardai purely because I have a lazy eye which cannot be repaired by lazer surgery,every other aspect of my medical was fine. my sight is fine and I dont need glasses or contact lenses its just my sight is weak in 1 eye, would this also disqualify me from the fire service? I also had ligament damage in my knee 7yrs ago which was repaired by surgery, would something like this disqualify me even tho it no longer troubles me? also im living in mallow in cork, we have a fire station which has part-time firemen, would there have to be a recruitment drive on the county council website for part time work?

I think the fire brigade is alot more strict than the guards ,i know you d,ont want to hear that but firemen have to have near perfect eyesight regards going into fires etc. maybe i,m wrong but dublin firebrigade i think was 20/20 it might have changed slightly. regards part time usually the county council advertise for retained firemen,Though is cork not fulltime.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Hi folks,

Just thought I would post this alert that I got this morning, might give you some insight into how the PAS look for Firefighters ;)
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/jobdetails_eng.asp?JobID=4316&hdnJobID=2706

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hi guys,

Just wondering if someone could tell me the minimum requirements for applying for the Dublin Panel are ? Education etc. Also if there an upper age liit (I'm 37).

Also, I know this has been touched on, but salary wise, including allowances, what would I be looking at starting off ? My current salary is quite low anyway, I don't mind taking a hit for a while but I'd love to know an average figure before I get myself all worked up about it...

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

does anyone know if u can get into the dfb if u have a criminal record?
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

phily2002 wrote: »
    does anyone know if u can get into the dfb if u have a criminal record?
    thanks in advance

Arson?

Advertisement