Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to install unit to measure and control PS3 Fans / Sensors with PC control

Options
  • 16-03-2014 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Consoles Modded: PS3 Slim
    Modding Type: Case mod, Cooling, Temperature monitoring, Fan control
    Locations served: This is a how to and I am not selling anything, I have asked a mod for permission although this person is no longer a mod here but I hope I am not breaking any rules
    Cost: I am not selling anything, however the cost to create this is 1 torx screw driver which should not cost more than 5 Quid, a 120mm Fan ( your personal choice ) the Control Unit and Cooling unit (I searched for exact prices but anything over 50-70 Quid is too much.
    Duration: Since you are doing the work, I suggest you do it slowly and always double check everything. It took me 4 hours but I am disabled so It may take you less time

Greetings, this is a how to I have put together after I noticed that my
    favorite game, Gran Turismo 6 was overheating my PS3 Slim. I reapplied AC5 to GPU and CPU and cleaned it out but I decided to install an external fan and some
    thermocouples to measure the temps inside my PS3 and I figured out a way to measure the output on my PC ( I have two monitors 1 large for games/PC, and second smaller used only for temperature / water cooling / thermocouple monitoring. I am including 3 pictures of the finished mod, and 1 schematic I drew using Windows Paint ( Don't laugh lol but I believe the simplest tool is the best )

Tools you will need:

1. Torx screwdriver ( needed to open up the top of the PS3 slim )

2. Regular all in one scredriver

3. Electric tape

4. Rubber gloves ( the kind used in hospitals will suffice) Please wear them when working inside the PS3, finger grease can cause issues for electronics

5. Cutting tool, I used a sharp butterfly knife, as I can open and close with
    one hand as I am using other hand to hold something, I am disabled so it is not a *cool* factor, plus a knife is a tool, nothing more.
    6. Small cup to collect screws in, I use two cups, 1 for outside screws, 1 for inside screws...it is quite easy to get mixed up..believe you me lol.

Electronics needed to get the job done:

1. A simple 120~240v -> 12v 1.5-2.0a adapter

2. A 120mm case fan with 4 pin connection

3. Corsair Cooling/Lightning kit ( I did not buy this for this job, I purchased
    it for something totally different, my PSU, but that did not work out so I had
    it laying around collecting dust and I will NOT throw anything out, I believe
    in reusing old parts. Plus I am disabled, so money does not grow on a magical tree for me :( Wish it did though, I would water it nonstop :(

4. A PC with a motherboard that has a free USB2 internal connection, not the external USB you would hook up a mouse or keyboard too, the type you find on the motherboard usually on the very bottom. It has 9 pins with the 10th missing

5. On/off switch from any cable ( I used a D-Link dir-655 power adapter which had an on/off switch.

Software (optional for monitoring temps from inside the PS3 on your PC)

1. Corsair Link Software Installer Version 2.4.5110 (although from what I
    hear they update their software often so when you grab it, you may find a newer revision, that is fine.

Now onto the project.

Remove any game disc you may have inside and always backup gamesaves to a thumb drive. Unplug PS3 from any and all connections, put it somewhere free from static discharges, ground yourself best you can and let's get started.

Step 1. Remove top. You can use a heated tin can to melt a round hole above the PS3 fan, pleasure make measurements to the best of your ability to where it is. It is wise to have an extinguisher handy and a friend to help you when you do this step. Safety is VERY important when dealing with fire and hot things.

Step 2. Place fan on top of the PS3 Slim unit (once it has cooled down) covering the hole and mark where the fan has the 4 holes for screws ( we will be using plastic cable ties to hold
    the fan in place ) make 1 hole for each marked place, and a second hole next to it so you can use the plastic cable tie.

Step 3. Fasten the fan into place and screw the cover back on, please take good care not to damage the fan and make sure that the airflow will be pointed
    downwards.

Step 4. Once your unit is secured and ready, you can attach the Lightning Kit as shown in picture labelled (Top of PS3 Slim with fan and sensor control box), you do not have to place it where I did, in fact anywhere is fine as long as
    you can later have enough room to navigate the thermocouples that come with the kit into your PS3 so keep that in mind.

Step 5. Attach your fan to your fan/sensors control unit. The PS3 part is done, now onto supplying the energy needed as it has a molex which needs to draw power.

Step 6. Take your 120-240v->12v 1.5-2.0a adapter and cut off the end. Splice the cord into two parts and prepare the wires by carefully pulling them out.
    Connect your on/off switch into circuit so that you can turn your contraption
    on and off from a distance, you don't want to have to get up every time you
    want to turn on your PS3 fan do you? It should look like this [adapter--on/off switch--wire back to male/female molex connector. With most fans these days, I noticed they include a simple male/female passthrough molex adapter with a 2 pin fan cable, use some electric tape to cover the fan cable and connect to the molex which will in turn power your lightning/fan/sensor unit atop your PS3 Slim.

Step 7. Before plugging all this in, take some time to find any open wires and use electric tape to tape them well so no possibility of shortcircuit can
    happen. Little electric tape now, can save you a big headache later, especially if you will connect to a PC to monitor ( an optional step )

Step 8. (Optional) Connect the Lightning kit to your cooling kit which has the USB connector and connect to your PC and install the software I mentioned in step #1 - Software needed

And I think that is it, if I missed anything, please feel free to ask, I am an open book and will answer any questions, and I am not a rep for Corsair or any other company I mentioned, in fact I will never buy anything Corsair again, they let me down because this was supposed to be used with a PSU I bought from them but to install all that software just to see the RPM's on a single fan on the PSU is a bit overkill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

Please use a voltmeter to make sure you are providing your Corsair Cooling/Lightning kit optimal juice, basically what a computer PSU would. I wrote down what the computer PSU molex would provide it, and made sure it matched what my adapter supplied it. I think this is a crucial step as you will be connecting this to your PC via the Corsair Cooling which connects directly into your motherboard via the 9 pin USB2.0 connector which looks like this [::::'] ' being the NC pin and the first row : top is USB+5V and bottom is USB+5V Pin1

Advertisement