Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people use "very" in front of eyes?

• 15-09-2008 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

As in "right before my very eyes".

Wouldn't "right before my eyes" suffice? :confused:

Holy bringing quiet fora back to life Batman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I would say its an "Irishism" , much like :

"I do be really tired after a drinking at the weekend"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not an Irishism, it comes from the French "vrai" meaning true or actual afaik. Just use to add emphasis or veracity to a statement.

"Do be" is a translation from Irish of the Gnáth Láithireach, the continuous present, a tense missing in English. It implies carrying out an action on a regular or continuous basis.

Such as "I am going to school" in English it's ambiguous, am I on my way to school now or do I attend a school? No such ambiguity exits in Irish.
    Tá má ag dul ar scoil = I'm going to school, immediate motion.
    Bím ag dul ar scoil = I attend school regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Thanks Hagar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UpsidedownA

Hagar wrote: »
    Not an Irishism, it comes from the French "vrai" meaning true or actual afaik. Just use to add emphasis or veracity to a statement.

"Do be" is a translation from Irish of the Gnáth Láithireach, the continuous present, a tense missing in English. It implies carrying out an action on a regular or continuous basis.

Such as "I am going to school" in English it's ambiguous, am I on my way to school now or do I attend a school? No such ambiguity exits in Irish.
    Tá má ag dul ar scoil = I'm going to school, immediate motion.
    Bím ag dul ar scoil = I attend school regularly.

Out of interest, why do you discount 'I go to school' as English for attending school on a regular basis? It looks like we have two sentences in English just like Irish has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Out of interest, why do you discount 'I go to school' as English for attending school on a regular basis? It looks like we have two sentences in English just like Irish has.
    Bím ag dul ar scoil, translates as "I do be going to school" which has no equivalent in Standard English.

I good example is:
    Bainim an coirce = I cut/reap the oats (regularly).
    Táim ag baineadh an choirce = I am cutting the oats.
    Bím ag baineadh an choirce = I do be cutting the oats.

• Advertisement

So it looks like Gaelic has three sentences meaning three subtly different things, corresponding roughly to I do something regularly or habitually, I am doing something now and a third sense, I do be doing something. I have only recently moved to Ireland, so I confess I don't know what the I do be doing something idiom means at all. Does it have a genuine use in Hiberno-English distinct from the other two forms? How would saying I do be cutting the oats or I do be going to school differ from saying I cut the oats or I go to school, for example? I find myself wanting to assimilate the do be phrase either to one or to the other of the existing English phrases. It's like I'm blind to the existence of a third possibility.

In this context it would be a habitual continuous.

For example:
    I do be cutting the oats when he visits in the morning.

So it allows you to use the continuous in a repeated habitual sense.

Example:
    I sit in the office.
    I am sitting in the office.
    I do be sitting in the office.

The first says you sit in the office, regularly.
    The second you are seated in the office right now.
    The third says that it is a repeated event that you are seated in the office right now. Usually it is followed by another clause such as:

I do be sitting in the office when the mail is delivered in the morning.

So there are repeated moments where you are sitting in the office and the mail arrives during those moments. Standard English might convey this via:

When the mail is delivered in the morning, I am always sitting in the office.

That's fascinating. Thanks for clarifying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Wouldn't, 'I tend to be doing something' equate to, 'I do be doing something' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

slowburner wrote: »
    Wouldn't, 'I tend to be doing something' equate to, 'I do be doing something' ?

Kind of, yeah.

"What are you normally up to when the post arrives"

"Ah, I do be at my desk normally, or sometimes I do be out having a smoke".

UpsidedownA, you said "It's like I'm blind to the existence of a third possibility.", which is a very good way of putting it, because essentially you are blind to it, you've not grown up with the idiom, so it makes no sense to you.

I bet you've never heard a cupboard being referred to as a "press" before you came here either.

It's akin to people learning a language later in life, they'll always have an accent because there are not able to make the sounds particular to that language (for example the german letter O with the dots above it has a weird sound to our ears, and unless we learned to make that sound as children, we never really master it)

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    It's akin to people learning a language later in life, they'll always have an accent because there are not able to make the sounds particular to that language (for example the german letter O with the dots above it has a weird sound to our ears, and unless we learned to make that sound as children, we never really master it)
    That's not really true. Adult learners can master these things and if you actually study it they do so faster than children. However children under five can master them without conscious effort.

Enkidu wrote: »
    That's not really true. Adult learners can master these things and if you actually study it they do so faster than children. However children under five can master them without conscious effort.

I think the reason people hardly ever attain perfect fluency in a second language they learn as adults is that they've already got a language that works perfectly well for them so they don't commit themselves to the second language. They can't get motivated like they would need to be to learn the second one completely.

I think the reason people hardly ever attain perfect fluency in a second language they learn as adults is that they've already got a language that works perfectly well for them so they don't commit themselves to the second language. They can't get motivated like they would need to be to learn the second one completely.
    Exactly, you never have the pressing need you did as a child. In fact if you look at situations where it was necessary to have total mastery (military situations) the individuals achieve native level fluency. Highly motivated learners can achieve this as well, I've met several people who I could have sworn were native speakers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's a post with a nice example of the way the continuous present does be used.
    Does it be the conditional, continuous present? And, do it be a uniquely Irish idiom?
    :p
    Originally Posted by viewpost.gif
    don't you be editing my post leaving out the white parts!
    But they're the parts that put things into context! Can't be having things in context!

Advertisement