Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us yer tank! (DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS)

• 17-08-2010 4:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't have the greatest amount of fish or the best setup, but I am still delighted this forum is here :)

I currently have 2 goldfish (Ronnie and Reggie) and a brittlenose Pleco (Sugar Shane Moses).

img0194ec.jpg

img0195s.jpg

The tank - Rekord 800 110L

img0187ju.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

124491.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The fish in that 4th pic looks like a Sailfin Pleco not a Bristlenose to me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

lrushe wrote: »
    The fish in that 4th pic looks like a Sailfin Pleco not a Bristlenose to me

I've the bristlenose, I didn't post a pic of him as he hates cameras.

Fresh water tank in the hall with Yellow Gourami, Ghost Shrimp, Kai Swordtails and Mollys

Downstairs Tank.JPG

This is Nibbler my 4-5 year old Russian Tortoise
    P9180031.JPG

P9180038.JPG

Freshwater tank in the bedroom with a Sailfin Pleco, Red Gourami and an albino Polypterus Senegalus.
    Bedroom Fishtank.JPG

Marine tank, this is kind of an older picture, have a lot more live rock in it now and some mushrooms and other stuff
    Saltwater Tank2.JPG

Silverfish wrote: »
    I've the bristlenose, I didn't post a pic of him as he hates cameras.

I see, I actually prefer the Bristlenose myself but couldn't get my hands on one when I bought my Sailfin Pleco, the Sailfin can be quiet a dirty fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

15 Gallon Reef Tank:
    2 x False Percula Clownfish
    1 x Pink Stripe Goby
    Hammer Coral
    Candy Cane Coral
    Green Star Polyps
    Bubble Coral
    Scolly Coral
    Pulsing Xenia
    Sun Coral
    Zoanthids
    Ricordea

IMG_7343.jpg

Getting a new 450 Litre soon - can't wait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

There isn't enough reptile in this thread for me!

This is my beardie Rory. I love his colour morph, he's so much more exciting than the dull brown ones you always see in shops. We got him from Ben in Reptile Haven (Top bloke for all things scaley!)

26492_377209551306_526141306_4137387_1688759_n.jpg

26492_378363596306_526141306_4170272_544720_n.jpg

He also goes through moods where he's completely apathetic towards his crickets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've an old fish tank and thats it :(

(Well some plans too) It was my grandfathers, then I kept gerbils in it for years and then it went in the attic. Must take it down and fill it with fish one of these days

I've an old fish tank and thats it :(

(Well some plans too) It was my grandfathers, then I kept gerbils in it for years and then it went in the attic. Must take it down and fill it with fish one of these days

Have you any plans today :)

Get it down and make a project out of it

WIZE wrote: »
    Have you any plans today :)
    Get it down and make a project out of it

I have to go home (parents) to get it. It'll be a while as i'm sure it'll cost a bit to get it up and running with all the bits and pieces. Will lurk around this forum for a while gathering info before doing anything ;)

And if I get it today it'll only be used to keep beer cold this weekend so I'll probably leave it :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭D4NI3L88

At the moment I have an Argentine Black & White Tegu, 1 Coastal Jag sib Carpet Python,
    1 Jungle Carpet Python, an unknown possibly Irian Jaya/Jungle Carpet Python and as for fish I have a 4 Goldfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,861 ✭✭✭✭event

i have 2 neon tetras
    2 blood fin tetras
    1 black molly
    1 scissortail rasbora
    2 corys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

event wrote: »
    i have 2 neon tetras
    2 blood fin tetras
    1 black molly
    1 scissortail rasbora
    2 corys

Many of those fish should be kept in shoals

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

WIZE wrote: »
    124491.JPG
    If that's a chinese softshell turtle, it's mostly aquatic but they do like to haul themselves out of the water every so often. They need a soft substrate with rounded grains as they bury themselves to hide and hunt. Any scratch and they easily get fungal infections. Small bit of marine salt in the water helps with that but would probably hurt the fish? The other thing is how big they can get. Dinner plate size if a female. After a year properly fed they'll hit 10 cm's near enough. Very aggressive too and the worst part in your case :o they're very fast fish eaters. It would be better off in its own tank really.

I have a 6 foot tank with a few turtles. Mud turtles, chinese striped and amboina box turtles.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They will be in that 100L tank for another 2 Week

I have a new 200L tank which will be for the Aqua Forest . The Fish will be moved from there and the Turtles will have the 100L for themselves

They actually Sit on top of the Filter with their heads out on occasions and are fed Frozen shrimp every two days

At the moment they dont go near the fish as the fiah are too big for them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you can get one of those little turtle platforms that sucker on the side of the tank. The softshells in general and that species in particular tend to be much more aquatic than other freshwater turtles, but they do like the odd bask like your lads. Just a warning though, as they age they get aggressive and territorial. They dont play well with others including their own and are better off kept on their own. That said they do have definite personalities which vary. Of the three I've kept one was very placid and easy going, but IME you may end up rehoming one of them. They're great craic though. :) Huge long necks and very fast in water. They also like to redecorate their tank by moving stuff around like rocks and fake plants. If you're patient they'll even hand feed but be careful as they've mouths like razors. They also know the time you feed them if you do so at the same time. I haven't seen them for sale for years though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

lrushe wrote: »
    Fresh water tank in the hall with Yellow Gourami, Ghost Shrimp, Kai Swordtails and Mollys

Downstairs Tank.JPG

This is Nibbler my 4-5 year old Russian Tortoise
    P9180031.JPG

P9180038.JPG

Freshwater tank in the bedroom with a Sailfin Pleco, Red Gourami and an albino Polypterus Senegalus.
    Bedroom Fishtank.JPG

Marine tank, this is kind of an older picture, have a lot more live rock in it now and some mushrooms and other stuff
    Saltwater Tank2.JPG
    Nice setup with the russian tort there lrushe, it's nice to see people taking a bit of interest and housing their critters correctly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

My community tank is starting to look well so I thought I would post some photos.

It's a 110 litre tank and I have

3 white mollies
    3 guppies
    8 tetra (5 neon and 3 rummy nose tetra)
    3 female fighting fish
    2 Orange Gouramis
    2 Clown Loaches (which are hiding in the ornament so no photo of them for now!)

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    My community tank is starting to look well so I thought I would post some photos.

It's a 110 litre tank and I have

3 white mollies
    3 guppies
    8 tetra (5 neon and 3 rummy nose tetra)
    3 female fighting fish
    2 Orange Gouramis
    2 Clown Loaches (which are hiding in the ornament so no photo of them for now!)

Finished off populating the community tank.

Pics of the clown loache's attached.

4 new and final arrivals. 2 dwarf angels and 2 cory's.

Already thinking of purchasing another tank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

i have an albino oscar hes big, about 10 inches, eats everything, id eadvise anyone if they want a personable fish, get an oscar.

i also have two turtles, there in with a large pleco and 4 cichlids, people say not to mix fish and turtle but the cichlids are more than capable of looking after themselves, the reeves turtle in only a baby and the razor must be a year old now.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/33654_10150267146040034_761400033_14928459_4087190_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/16864_411705140033_761400033_10512931_4547613_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/16864_411705105033_761400033_10512930_4069182_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/turtle%20tank.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/reeves.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/65338_10150267145920034_761400033_14928457_4269008_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/family/Desktop/colo/64902_10150267146210034_761400033_14928461_1115556_n.jpg[/IMG]

one more image

The problem is that while turtles kept in captivity are often in too little water, too much without a definite "land" part or platform and they will sicken and die after a while(though because they're so tough it can be hard to spot stress unlike in fish). They need to get out to bask and dry off. This goes double when younger and growing. I dont see basking area for them though I may be missing that? The bit floating n the right?

The razorback mud/musk turtle is much more aquatic than the reeves, so will tolerate it for longer, the reeves is more terrestrial. Both become less aquatic or have more need for land/platforms as they age. I reckon the musk will tolerate if for far longer. The two I've had(one for the last 20 years. He's looking at me now :)) were 90% aquatic only rarely venturing onto land. Though when I say rarely that was twice a week. The reeves I had basked at least 50% of the time.

Something simple like one of those sucker platforms that hang on the side of the tank would do with a simple ordinary incandescent bulb above it(out of the range of splashes). At some stage you may have to get a second tank or pass the reeves on. The mud turtle won't get much bigger than 4 inches in old money, the reeves can get to 6 or 7, but 5 inches is more common.

They do look healthy though I have to say I love your razorback mud. I'm looking for a new turtle as we speak and wouldn't mind one as nice looking and in as good condition as yours. :) Kudos. A credit to you IMHO. They're also one of the best turtles species to keep in my humble. Very hardy. They have definite personalities too. I'll say this though. They're clever buggers. The smartest of any turtle species I've kept and sooner or later when he or she gets a little bigger the cichlids could be in trouble. They're fiesty little ambush hunters, are shockingly fast when they want to be and have enough of a bite that even much bigger turtles will give them a wide berth. A cichlid wouldnt stand a chance. I had a softshell turtle the guts of a foot across, who was very aggressive and once I had to put her in with some of my other turtles for a few hours. She got real bitey with all, except for the little mud turtle, who faced her down and actually pinned her in a corner. I had to intervene or he would have injured her or worse. David and goliath aint in it. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    The problem is that while turtles kept in captivity are often in too little water, too much without a definite "land" part or platform and they will sicken and die after a while(though because they're so tough it can be hard to spot stress unlike in fish). They need to get out to bask and dry off. This goes double when younger and growing. I dont see basking area for them though I may be missing that? The bit floating n the right?

The razorback mud/musk turtle is much more aquatic than the reeves, so will tolerate it for longer, the reeves is more terrestrial. Both become less aquatic or have more need for land/platforms as they age. I reckon the musk will tolerate if for far longer. The two I've had(one for the last 20 years. He's looking at me now :)) were 90% aquatic only rarely venturing onto land. Though when I say rarely that was twice a week. The reeves I had basked at least 50% of the time.

Something simple like one of those sucker platforms that hang on the side of the tank would do with a simple ordinary incandescent bulb above it(out of the range of splashes). At some stage you may have to get a second tank or pass the reeves on. The mud turtle won't get much bigger than 4 inches in old money, the reeves can get to 6 or 7, but 5 inches is more common.

They do look healthy though I have to say I love your razorback mud. I'm looking for a new turtle as we speak and wouldn't mind one as nice looking and in as good condition as yours. :) Kudos. A credit to you IMHO. They're also one of the best turtles species to keep in my humble. Very hardy. They have definite personalities too. I'll say this though. They're clever buggers. The smartest of any turtle species I've kept and sooner or later when he or she gets a little bigger the cichlids could be in trouble. They're fiesty little ambush hunters, are shockingly fast when they want to be and have enough of a bite that even much bigger turtles will give them a wide berth. A cichlid wouldnt stand a chance. I had a softshell turtle the guts of a foot across, who was very aggressive and once I had to put her in with some of my other turtles for a few hours. She got real bitey with all, except for the little mud turtle, who faced her down and actually pinned her in a corner. I had to intervene or he would have injured her or worse. David and goliath aint in it. :D

cheers for advice mate, there is actually a turtle dock in the top right, its on the side wall rather than the back. your right, the reeves always basks, the razor only a little. when the reeves get older ill be moving him into a tank i have that has a 25per cent land area, im actually looking into planting it. when the reeves are young, there very aquatic so i have him in there. a lot of my books say that they should be kept in shallow water but i think thats not very natural. he loves swimming and hes a little trooper at it. basks for an hour then a quick dip, then back up again.

i decided to get a razor and reeves because there small and im in an apartment so it made sense. the red eared slider is my favorite tho. i used to have a red eared slider when i lived at home and she grew huge, had her in a 400 litre tank (i remember the pet shop saying to get a small tank, but my father insisted on getting a big tank, we still underestimated the size she grew to, after about 5 years we got the 400litre), we and kept it in shed, no matter how much i cleaned it, it would stink in a few days. it was a weekly task cleaning it out. i had her 11 years and it was sad because similar to you, i used to put her in the garden during the day in the summer, i had this little pen made out of chicken wire but she must have climbed it. i spent the whole week looking for her, the garden was big and mature, we had shrubs and hedges the whole way around. no joke, about 8 months later, she walked back into the middle of the grass, i set the tank back up etc.. but she never recovered, brought her to vet and he said, she probably dug into the leaves and hibernated, she never came out of hibernation properly and died about a week later. its amazing how hardy they are all the same

do you have a reeves? any advice on them, theres alot of conflicting info on water dept and how terrestrial they are? cheers

That's sad about your red ear. I had one myself for a very long time. They can climb near vertical surfaces once they have grip. They're a lot more mobile than a tortoise. They're amazingly hardy too once they get to a decent size. They've been found in ponds in southern England where people have released them when they got too big :mad: I've heard tell there may even be some in a pond in the Phoenix park in Dublin where again they were dumped when they stopped being "cute". They can't reproduce here because our summers are too cold, but they'll often survive our winters as in their range in the US they can have very cold winters.

I agree with you about the shallow water part. In the wild they would be in far deeper pools than most tanks out there. I suppose it depends where they come from in the pet trade. If they've been born and raised in shallow water they may not have the skills to change depth, hold their breath or be strong enough swimmers and could drown. Yours look fine though :) Very healthy.

I had two Reeves. One was a rescue and he lasted a few years but was never very healthy, the other is still going strong with someone else. Both were 50/50 land water types, though like you said the one I had from young was much more aquatic at first. I know what you mean about the different advice. What I've found over the years is that a) a lot of the advice is dubious and b) like people individual turtles can vary. I have two Amboina box turtles(sadly one died recently, though she was 20 so...) and when I saw them as babies they were in a tank suited for a tortoise and the pet shop guy was convinced(as were the books) that they were 90% terrestrial. The second I put them in a 25/75 land/water setup they flew into the water and were much more aquatic than the Reeves.

I'd reckon the setup you have in mind will work perfectly TBH. Be careful with planting though. Chances are he'll eat anything you put in and dig up the rest. Harder to keep clean too. On the smell front, internal filters or undergravels are useless unless they're babies. A big external canister filter(roughly twice the size you'd need for a similar fish tank) will cut down smells and keep the water fresher and mean once a month cleaning. Turtles pump out a lot of poo. TBH I think that's sometimes a bigger risk to fish in that they will spike all the bad compounds(ammonia, nitrates, nitrites) in the water as they get bigger.

one more image

that's a nice looking tank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Howdy all,

Ok so i got fed up trying to take decent pictures of my tank and fish - so I've decided to go down the video route :D

It is a 120 Litre tank, at the moment we have got

2 Honey Gourami,
    7 Female Guppies, 4 Male Guppies
    1 Female Black Molly, 1 male Black Molly and 5 of their offspring left
    All the plants are real - some growing like wildfire, but the small redish one seems to be struggling.

Here is the position of the tank, I love sitting on that chair and watching them swim about

11112010586.jpg

Here is a 2 min video tour - it is quite hard to see the Black Mollys, I turn on the camera light to try highlight them :D.

Keep an eye out for my Favourite Male Guppy - he has a blue split tail - he is the only one chasing the mature female Guppy at the moment - something which i'm quite happy about.

2 of the other males spend all their time chasing each other - the yellow tailed one is quite big for a male - I'm starting to think he might be 50/50 sex wise! either that or I have 2 Gay fish - nothing wrong with that if it means my blue tailed one fathers the babies I'm after :D

thats a nice little spot for the tank.

what are the honey gourami like in temperament etc, I am considering 1 or 2 of these to finish off my tanks stock

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

thats a nice little spot for the tank.

what are the honey gourami like in temperament etc, I am considering 1 or 2 of these to finish off my tanks stock

They have always seemed happy in the tank, they love the vegetation,

I'm not sure of their sex, early on they spent a lot of time together, almost talking to each other with their feeler things,
    One is bigger than the other now and they went through a stage of not getting on with each other - I don't know why, at times the big one would chase the other away,
    They seem back to normal now though and get along fine.

As regards other fish - before I had the mollies and guppies I wanted a male Siamese Fighter - but was advised that the Gourami's would attack it - I never questioned why,

Since then I have added the other fish - and they have never interacted with them at all - no violence or bully tactics towards any of them -they just seem to ignore them, spend most of their time picking at the plants and the gravel.

• Advertisement

Got some Dwarf Gouramis, few casualties in the last month unfortunately.

Advertisement