Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transitioning from house ball to owning a ball

• 27-02-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Do you guys use your own bowling balls (ie a finger tip ball) or do you use the balls supplied by the alley? I was in a league for a while (about 14 years ago) with some mates in stillorgan and most people just used the balls supplied by the alley. I actually have my own ball now, but I got it towards the end of my time in the league and Im now out of practice anyway. Id like to get good at using a proper bowling ball as I feel there is potential for higher scores. (I think the ones supplied by the alley are just plastic anyway) The problem is there is a learning curve and at the moment I actually play better just using standard bowling balls supplied!

What are your thoughts? How did you find transitioning to a "proper" ball?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I played in the last division at the start with house balls but then got my own. Now I've 3 :)

Transitiong was OK as I was getting coaching from the Maltese national coach.

Getting your own equipment is great as you get years out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, I use my own ball two. I used to have three different balls, an AMF Cobra (urethane spare ball), Ebonite Turbo (strike ball) and a Maxim (polyester backup spare ball). These days I just use a Brunswick Inferno but that's because I'm not bowling often enough (or well enough) to justify having a strike and spare ball combo. The house balls are all polyester, never cleaned and usually damaged so scores should improve with a better ball but only if your technique is good and consistent.

I use fingertip plugs because it allows a greater handspan and easier momentum for revolutions (therefore greater hook) upon release.

I found the transition easy enough but then again, I was being coached on a weekly basis and was bowling for the alley house team at the time. I also bowled every single day as I was working as a lane maintenance technician and pinsetter mechanic at the time. :)

The key is all in the approach. I use a four-step approach to the lane, make sure my pendulum swing is straight and that I release the ball at 6 o'clock on the swing with a rapid uplift of the fingers while the thumb is out of the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Call into Barry Brown in Leisureplex Stillorgan. He's just opened his new Pro Shop and it looks fantastic. Things have changed so much around ball drilling, ball surfaces in recent times it's really until someone see you throwing a ball and really what centre you will play in that will determine what equipment to buy.
    One thing is for sure Barry won't see you wrong. I was out with him last week. Very impressed.

Advertisement