Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Pookermoons :)

• 06-10-2015 2:55pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

In a fit of madness and possible regret (time will tell), I bought a 2DS on an iBood sale. Too many people who's opinions I respect have told me what a great game Pokémon is and so I figured it should be my first game purchase. So I am the proud owner of an Omega Red. This is my first ever Pokémon game, although I'm thankfully familiar enough with the mechanics, but not the "institutional" knowledge like what types counter each other etc.

I have hit a bit of a wall with it. So far I've captured 20 something odd different types and because I heard breeding was a thing, I have some matched male/female pairs stored in the computer.

I've got 2 Gym badges, they were pretty straightforward to get, but I'm trying to
    deliver some parts to a captain on a third island and I'm not having much luck progressing from there.
    I'm sure I just need to explore a bit more.

Anyway, any recommended reading for someone who's new to the series?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Have you gotten to the city where you need to deliver the parts? There's a shipyard in there where you have to talk to a guy standing at a desk who will tell you where the Captain is.

I think the main things you'd need to know about would be Mega Evolution, and the new type for Generation 6, the Fairy type. Mega evolution is pretty rare in the game against NPCs, only a relative handful of trainers will actually use it against you, but it can be pretty helpful for yourself. As for fairy, it was brought in as a counter to the rather strong dragon type, and is immune to dragon attacks as a result.

I know you can buy guides for the games (one of my old housemates always bought them), but there's no real need to get one I find, and I prefer to just potter around and find my own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Reading is a bad thing.
    There's so much depth to the post-game that it will be overwhelming, and none of it will help you.
    I'm pretty sure you can finish the game with whatever pokemon you enjoy using, then afterwards you can start worrying about move sets, teams, EV training and IV breeding, egg moves etc etc.

there are a bunch of websites that document the things you need, but a quick google will get you
    1. A Type chart showing weaknesses and strengths - print one up of the primary types, you can figure out the dual-types in your head. eg, if Steel is weak to fire and Grass is weak to fire, then a Steel/Grass type is going to regret getting in the way of your fire monkey/pig/chicken.
    2. A link to an egg-group guide. Breeding uses male and females from the same egg group, so you don't need to have matched males and females. Breeding is entirely unnecessary to finish the game, but if you fill your dex up with matched pairs you'll feel like a chump later :D
    3. If you're finding it all a little easy, google the word "Nuzlocke"
    4. Unless you really like surprises, it helps to have a look at a pokedex online - i've always used serebii.net but I hear some people don't like the guy who runs it. Anyway, there are certain 'mon that are designed to frustrate the ****e out of you while you desperately try to level them up. It's good to know which ones will pay off eventually, and what moves they might be learning along the way
    5. Shinies. Know how to recognise one and if you see one then catch it!
    6. Certain pokemon have more than one evolution possibility. If you're a completist, you'll want to know...

Other than that, name your pokemon. That's part of what makes them yours :D

Advertisement