Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE back slapping

Options
  • 12-09-2010 4:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

While flicking through the channels last night, I caught a few minutes of the Person of the year awards on RTE 1 or 2.

I find "award" ceremonies like this to be reprehensable. They are usually a load of self serving corporate guff complete with the ever present polititian and celebraty in search of an easy photo opportunity.

For the few minutes that I watched it, one of the acolades on the night was awarded to the RTE broadcaster Gerry Ryan.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he been dead for almost six months?
    I don't think he was ever considered for a person of the year award while he was alive. So I'd love to know what he has achieved in the meantime.

Imagine getting an award for lying in a coffin since April.

What bothered me most of all were the fawning tributes and bullsh!t plaudits heaped upon Ryan by many of his ex colleagues in RTE.

It was an exercise in RTE doing what RTE do best.
    Telling the nation how much they think we love them.

Person of the year - MY AR$€.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

in fairness i never liked gerry ryan, but a fair few people did, but the people of the year awards does demand a bit more respect than that i suppose, take that girl who has been living with e.b. all her life, a condition that 99% of us would probably class as being from a nightmare, yet she has managed to live her life, earning grace, humility and respect that some people think is theirs by right .

One of the people of the year? Without a doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Of course there are people who deserve to be person of the year and recognised for their achievements, but Lapin is right, giving an award to an dead broadcaster demeans the whole event.

I didn’t watch it, did they give an award to Shane Geoghan, Anthony Campbell or Roy Collins?
    Knowing RTE, it would probably be Katy French who got the accolade for being a dead model.

Advertisement