Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE backslapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't remember the last time I watched anything done by or even on RTE, I keep visiting the player but I'm never compelled to watch anything other than the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

3110047873_c6bf4306ee.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Poly wrote: »
    Should it? How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Doesn't Dobbo and O'Callaghan have fingers in production companies for RTE also.

Grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

An Rte spokesman said....
    “RTÉ’s board operation on the one hand, and its executive process for programme commissioning on the other, are separately drawn up, operated and supervised.”

A Mikom spokesman said....
    You should have spent some of the pig swill cash on a proofreader.

Sloppy as usual RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh, seems like nothign being sensationalised in to a story.

"The Irish Mail on Sunday (print edition only) reported that members whose companies received payments include Stuart Switzer, whose Coco Television firm produces Crimecall and Desperate Houses; and Orlaith Carmody, who is involved in a firm which created several episodes of Capital D. If the €2.7million figure all went to commissioned programmes, it would represent 4.7 per cent of RTÉ’s total spending on commissioning from outside producers."

"Involved in a firm which created several episodes of Capital D". I bet they took the overall figure for everything spent on Capital D and added it in and not just the particular episodes with a link to Orlaith Carmody.

Shpuld they not use Crimcall becaus ea boar dmember is involved? Desperate Houswives is a popular show and I'm sure brings in a lot of advertising revenue. Again, should they pass on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Morgans

I'm sure Coco televison wishes it produced Desperate Housewives.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Morgans wrote: »
    I'm sure Coco televison wishes it produced Desperate Housewives.

Slight skim read issue there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm sure the RTE employees in programme commissioning would never feel the need to pick the shows made by members of the board of operation's :rolleyes:

This and other little nuggets of gold like the crazy over the top redundancy packages given to the RTE employees due to be let go because the station's in dire financial straits really needs to be examined by an outside agency.

Venom wrote: »

This and other little nuggets of gold like the crazy over the top redundancy packages given to the RTE employees due to be let go because the station's in dire financial straits really needs to be examined by an outside agency.

An outside agency run by an RTE relative.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Christ, when are you guys gonna get over this RTE nonsense?

Do you all realise that RTE operate on a fraction of the budget of most other TV companies, in a small, small country that simply does not have the talent pool, or indeed the audience, of practically every other Western country?

RTE are no competition for BBC, HBO or whatever, so you should just enjoy the fact that we can watch their output on the web, by downloading torrents or on late night imports etc..

But also, respect RTE for being a state broadcaster, in a small country, that produces television output that's relevant, and informative, to Irish audiences. So what if they recycle guests (again, we're small, we have a finite amount of TV personalities) and get it wrong from time to time. If you get some sort of satisfaction in seeing RTE 'fail' or make mediocre programmes and live your life watching foreign TV, fair play, but try and appreciate how hard it is to make TV shows that have an Irish angle..

Like it or leave it, we NEED RTE. We need news, that's not angled by a worldwide corporation, we need documentaries about local people, experiencing local problems (Cracking Crime, Kids in the Wild, Prime Time), we need political debate (Frontline, 11th Hour) that's actually about us, we need comedy with an Irish angle (Paths to Freedom, Après Match, Savage Eye) and even lifestyle and inspirational shows (About the House, Dragons Den, Operation Transformation)

If we gave up on RTE, we'd lose out. The great thing is that we have access to every great TV show made, via the internet. But when you're moaning about RTE and downloading Walking Dead or whatever, ask yourself, other than the US and the UK, where else do I download from, and then make your comparisons...

(btw, I have no link whatsoever to RTE, I just think it's becoming too easy to slag them off here, and I felt compelled to write it after watching two programmes tonight and saw no thread about them - Cracking Crime and The Road to Moneygall)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 redstarmark

All I know is that I will soon have an MA in television and radio and that there will be no chance of me gaining any sort of employment from RTE. It is well known within the industry that in order to get "in there" with RTE you must have a relative or some other close contact in there.
    If you look at BBC they have hundreds of internship opportunities for students, there is no such thing in RTE. Equal opportunities my arse!
    I could go on but I won't.
    Backslapping in RTE is old news.

A Disgrace wrote: »

I felt compelled to write it after watching two programmes tonight and saw no thread about them - Cracking Crime and The Road to Moneygall)

Did that not tell you something.

Advertisement