Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

fasting glucose=(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is relatively high but could depend on a number of factors.

That said a continuous BG level over (ie if measured after fasting on more than one occasion) 7.0 mmol/L is indicative of type 2 Diabetes

I am certain (but open to corrections) that an oral glucose tolerance test which fails to return to normal levels after 2.5 hours is also an indicative diagnosis for type 2 DM either.

That said it can be the result of several other conditions, did he ask you to come in for any other tests.

For any of our research we also provide a HOMA test but this is rarely, if ever done in clinical settings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just happened across this selection of t-shirts designs:
    http://diabetees.spreadshirt.co.uk/shop/designs/index

I'm actually quite tempted by the "Oh Crap" meter and the "iPump" designs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

robinph wrote: »
    Just happened across this selection of t-shirts designs:
    http://diabetees.spreadshirt.co.uk/shop/designs/index

I'm actually quite tempted by the "Oh Crap" meter and the "iPump" designs.

I just ordered one for a diabetic friend, thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm getting through millions of test strips now. Thought I had loads of them, but just looked and most of the boxes I've got are out of date. Out of interest I just tried comparing what numbers these out of date ones gave to new strips and the numbers were quite a bit different with one batch being significantly more than 3 off the number I was getting from good strips.

Wish the GP would give me more on each prescription, it's a pain to be going back for more every week...and then I go and forget one week and run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

robinph wrote: »
    I'm getting through millions of test strips now. Thought I had loads of them, but just looked and most of the boxes I've got are out of date. Out of interest I just tried comparing what numbers these out of date ones gave to new strips and the numbers were quite a bit different with one batch being significantly more than 3 off the number I was getting from good strips.

Wish the GP would give me more on each prescription, it's a pain to be going back for more every week...and then I go and forget one week and run out.

Does your doc give you a certain amount on each prescription?
    I just have an open ended prescription that lists everything I use on it. I bring it to the chemist with the LTI book whenever I want something. The chemist asked me to get the prescription updated every 2 years but i other than that I just get what i need as I need it.

BC wrote: »
    I just have an open ended prescription that lists everything I use on it. I bring it to the chemist with the LTI book whenever I want something. The chemist asked me to get the prescription updated every 2 years but i other than that I just get what i need as I need it.

robinph is under the NHS at the minute (if I remember correctly) and they have a different system

As Cram said I'm now on the NHS, which whilst it's great for now giving me all my other non-diabetes stuff for free as well, they do only give you exactly what is on the prescription and you need a new prescription for everything. I did like just being able to go into the pharmacist with the LTI book in Ireland and they gave me what I asked for, getting a few extra bits, or changing the brand of test strips was never a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Had to get my medical report signed today to renew my driving licence. It's my third licence and I only passed my test two years ago :( I hate just getting one year licences.. that's an extra €55 a year to drive :( Anyone else's doctor refuse to give them a medical report for more than one year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    Had to get my medical report signed today to renew my driving licence. It's my third licence and I only passed my test two years ago :( I hate just getting one year licences.. that's an extra €55 a year to drive :( Anyone else's doctor refuse to give them a medical report for more than one year?

I have a standard 10-year license, there's a note on the license that I have to get a medical cert to get it renewed, but only once per ten years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I have one for 3 years I was told this is standard? (Although I did cheekily tick the 10 box last just to see if I could get away with it :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

10 years is standard afaik once you have a cert to say you are capable of driving but my licence is due later this year so look like i will find out soon enough:eek:

This will be my third renewal since being diagnosed and have had no problems like that up to now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

If you have good and stable HbA1c results there's no reason why you shouldn't be granted a 10 licence otherwise it's descrimination.

If your HbA1c results don't reflect that you have good control over your diabetes then all bets are off.

Have always had to get a three year UK license. But they don't charge me for it, and it's the handy credit card sized thing that you can actually carry around with you (unless your hiring a car when you need the paper part as well).

Was surprised when I got the Irish license and they asked far less details, I think it was just a note from a GP that I walked in to the office with, girl at the desk didn't even look at it, and just gave me a 10 year license. No actual checking of the medical details as far as I could see. That was some years ago though and I never bothered renewing it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Robinph - didn't realise it was NHS, I understand now!

On the driving licence, I have good HBA1C - its been less than 6.5 for the last 8 years - but my consultant still won't put anything more than 3 years on the medical report so I've been getting 3 year licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Robinph - didn't realise it was NHS, I understand now!

On the driving licence, I have good HBA1C - its been less than 6.5 for the last 8 years - but my consultant still won't put anything more than 3 years on the medical report so I've been getting 3 year licences.

You might fair better with the application form if you get your GP to sign it?

I never even got a cert from my GP, just handed in my form and they gave me one. No questions asked, that said they also gave me a provisional car license when i was 16 so i never really had much faith in their ability to check paperwork in my local CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭GlennGeo

Hey Guys, I would just like to ask you fellow diabetics about tattoos.
    I am a type 1 diabetic since I was 9 and i am currently thinking of getting a tattoo.. Has anyone else got a tattoo and how did it go.. Was there any problems with getting it done?

Cheers
    Glenn

GlennGeo wrote: »
    I am a type 1 diabetic since I was 9 and i am currently thinking of getting a tattoo.. Has anyone else got a tattoo and how did it go.. Was there any problems with getting it done?

Cheers
    Glenn

Hi Glenn, I have two, no problems getting them or since.

• Advertisement

Ah thats grand
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lilmissmoo

Hi,

Recently my 7 year old nephew was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I would be putting it lightly to say that the diagnosis took the whole family by shock. My nephew is finding it very hard at the moment and naturally as a young child, keeps focusing on what he wont be able to eat from now on.

My family dont have much knowledge of diabetes and although the nurses have been fantastic, does anyone have any advice on living with type 1 diabetes?

Also, is there anywhere to buy diabetic easter eggs?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think the big chocolate stores like Thornton's sell diabetic chocolates. They do do Easter eggs but from personal experience, they sell out a few days before easter so get in early.

Diabetic chocolate contains a sweetener which acts as a laxative if you eat too much. I wouldn't go near it to be honest. You should take a read through a few of the diabetes thread lmm, the good news is your nephew will be able to lead a normal (ish!) life once the shock subsides.

GlennGeo wrote: »

Cheers
    Glenn

I've had a tatoo since being diagnoed as well, it's not an issue. Just check your levels before hand and let the guy doing it know that your diabetic in case you flake out on him. There is not reason not to get one though.

Ya thats cool

Thanks
    Glenn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

tbh wrote: »
    Diabetic chocolate contains a sweetener which acts as a laxative if you eat too much. I wouldn't go near it to be honest. You should take a read through a few of the diabetes thread lmm, the good news is your nephew will be able to lead a normal (ish!) life once the shock subsides.

I wish someone had told me that before I went mad on the sugar free cola bottles. :(

kowloon wrote: »
    I wish someone had told me that before I went mad on the sugar free cola bottles. :(

ha ha yeah - I had two bars of chocolate and spent a very trying few hours "reading the paper" afterwards!

:mad:

Last weekend was a bit messy and involved an excessive amount of beer, quite a few high bg readings and of course hangovers. I was expecting the higher bg's and didn't worry too much about them though.

This week my numbers have continued to do silly things to me, basals have remained the same, corrections have been done, I know the canula must be in right or I'd be in hospital by now. But even with the correction and regular bg boluses I'm still running high far too much.

I've a feeling that my basals may have changed with the weather and I need to tweak them again. Looks like I'll be spending these bank holiday weekend doing more fasting tests as things currently seem way different to what was happening to me last week.

:mad:

Going to run a 5 mile race tonight and with the weather being good I'm hoping for a better time than I've got so far on that course. Should also help bring the BG back down to a more sensible range.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hey guys.

I'm fairly newly diagnosed (October). I'm Type 1. & take Novarapid & Levemir insulins. What I'm wondering is, do any of you take insulin to cover the carbs in beer, lager etc.?

Any night I'm going out, or having a few in the house, I don't really take any insulin to cover these. Just wondering if I should.

My mmols are still quite high, between 8 -12 at the moment. If I have drink, the readings take 2 days to fallback to these levels again.

Advertisement