Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Futeko.co.uk

Cheers, will take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi all,

Am thinking of either getting the Ainol Nova 7 Mars
    with it's 1 ghz 1 GB ram 8 GB storage ICS,

Or the

Nova Crystal which has 1.5 ghz dual core and Jelly Bean but is another 40 euro

although both say it doesn't support 3G.

Does this mean that my O2 dongle for broadband won't work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am thinking of either getting the Ainol Nova 7 Mars
    with it's 1 ghz 1 GB ram 8 GB storage ICS,

Or the

Nova Crystal which has 1.5 ghz dual core and Jelly Bean but is another 40 euro

although both say it doesn't support 3G.

Does this mean that my O2 dongle for broadband won't work on it.

Doesn't support 3g means there's no 3g built in so you need a dongle for it to work,your 02 dongle will work perfectly with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Hi, sorry to hijack but can anyone recommend a tablet for 11 year old - she is mad for an iPad but not gonna happen I'm afraid....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Depending on your price range/size of tablet... there are plenty of choices throughout this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Depending on your price range/size of tablet... there are plenty of choices throughout this thread!

Thanks.....unfortunately I'm a complete technophobe so I need a bit (well a lot really) of guidance - I was hoping to stick around €100, have had a lot of gadgets in this house and somehow many of them seem to have a very short life span!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Thanks.....unfortunately I'm a complete technophobe so I need a bit (well a lot really) of guidance - I was hoping to stick around €100, have had a lot of gadgets in this house and somehow many of them seem to have a very short life span!!

This one is just under your budget and is shipped from the UK so should get here in plenty of time and no possibility of extra customs charges. I haven't dealt with them but reports about them seem to be good and you have the comfort of a UK warranty on it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Do people think it is much of a risk ordering from hongkongeek now to get delivery before christmas, even if I go for the DHL option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Do people think it is much of a risk ordering from hongkongeek now to get delivery before christmas, even if I go for the DHL option?

Depends on the retailer, some will take the DHL charge, but mess you around and send it normally, under the guise of 'supply issues'.

Have a good read of site feedback, if possible.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Depends on the retailer, some will take the DHL charge, but mess you around and send it normally, under the guise of 'supply issues'.

Have a good read of site feedback, if possible.

Is that possible on hongkonggeek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Should be no problem with hongkongeek and dhl, got my tablet from them within 9days. Check their website to see if they say if there might be delays. Should be ok if u order in next couple weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hi, sorry to hijack but can anyone recommend a tablet for 11 year old - she is mad for an iPad but not gonna happen I'm afraid....

This http://www.kogan.co.uk/shop/agora-10-8gb-tablet/ Looks excellent,large screen & good features plus reviews are positive.No delivery to Ireland so use Parcelmotel.

Paddy_man wrote: »
    Should be no problem with hongkongeek and dhl, got my tablet from them within 9days. Check their website to see if they say if there might be delays. Should be ok if u order in next couple weeks..

Nice one for that. OK final question, which 7 inch tablet does one go for? Budget of about 60 - 100 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Can anybody help me out on which one to buy? Don't know much about tablets, just need it for ebooks, abit of youtube and social networking... budget max 100 eur.

http://www.adverts.ie/tablet/android-7-inch-tablet/2329923

or

http://www.adverts.ie/tablet/prestigio-7-inch-tablet/2330877

???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

camz09 wrote: »
    Can anybody help me out on which one to buy? Don't know much about tablets, just need it for ebooks, abit of youtube and social networking... budget max 100 eur.

or

???

The second is €125 so that's out

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

or

???

Neither!

Read through this thread and buy from UK. Higher spec for < €100 new..

or

???

Neither look great for the price, looks like tablets someone got cheap and now just trying to make a profit.

I'd try futkeko or hongkongeek as they have decent cheap tablets.

I ordered yesterday off them using DHL option and should hopefully be shipped tomorrow (be prepared today).
    Takes around 6-10 working days so plenty of time.
    With chinamail I'd say I be lucky too see it before new year, even though HGK are quite good for that too but with christmas post expect delays.

vicwatson wrote: »
    The second is €125 so that's out

oops,forgot to say i was offered 100 for this to include a 16gb mini SD card

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

oops,forgot to say i was offered 100 for this to include a 16gb mini SD card

Only 800x480 res, only 512MB RAM, only 4Gb internal, no HDMI out, slow enough processor...... I'd pass you will get better for less money from http://www.futeko.com (3 day delivery to Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Anyone have a good guess as to what processor speed you'd need for the Netflix Android App? I know it doesn't work on my 600mhz Galaxy Mini, so better then that :P (Youtube does though, even in "HQ". I'm guessing it's trying to push more pixels then I actually have on the phone, they should offer a lower quality option. Oh well.)

• Advertisement

Article 9: Customs Clearance

The products being shipped from China, it is possible that the package clears through customs. As a buyer (importer), you are responsible for the costs associated with them. Therefore you will have to pay customs rights and the Value Added Tax (VAT) upon receipt of your package. Customs rights depend on the product type, a percentage is applied to the product which is designated by its TARIC code. Customs rights are calculated on the CIF value of the parcel (Cost Insurance and Freight, it includes the value of the product, insurance, if any, and freight cost) and VAT is calculated on the total, customs rights plus the CIF value.

Generally, these fees must be paid when the carrier brings you the package. We recommend that you check with the relevant institutions to know the exact charges of the destination country.

After delivery and after payment of these fees (if any) and that only concerns the orders of less than five hundred Euros (500€), you send the bill of the carrier by mail including the number of the package, the delivery date, the consignee's name and address and the amount of the fees. HONGKONGEEK.COM will refund by PAYPAL. (see the page DUTY FREE / VAT PAID BACK)

Taken from HKG website, does that mean that if m order is larger than €500 euros then I will not be allowed to claim back? surely if this is the case I can just order seperately? Or does it mean that my Vat bill cannot exceed 500...

what's the lowdown on the customs charges with futeko.com? all got lucky?

Occono wrote: »
    Anyone have a good guess as to what processor speed you'd need for the Netflix Android App? I know it doesn't work on my 600mhz Galaxy Mini, so better then that :P (Youtube does though, even in "HQ". I'm guessing it's trying to push more pixels then I actually have on the phone, they should offer a lower quality option. Oh well.)

I presume it would be a minimum of at least 1ghz though would also depend on the processor type and possibly the ram.

Most decent make tablets in 7-10" range wouldn't have any issues.
    Article 9: Customs Clearance

Taken from HKG website, does that mean that if m order is larger than €500 euros then I will not be allowed to claim back? surely if this is the case I can just order separately? Or does it mean that my Vat bill cannot exceed 500...

I would presume its total spent but are you going to spend over €500???
    Thats a lot of tablets :D

Don't think there is any as its coming from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I presume it would be a minimum of at least 1ghz though would also depend on the processor type and possibly the ram.

Ah good.

I would presume its total spent but are you going to spend over €500???
    Thats a lot of tablets :D

Don't think there is any as its coming from the UK.

Well I was ordering for myself and my gf. Both us getting one or two as gifts. Maybe best to just order them separate?

Lash

UK based company so no fear of customs

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Depends what you mean by "cheap"!!! I've ordered the Ainol Crystal and it has a 1024 x 600 MVA display.

Hi,

Is the Nova Crystal worth the extra 50% over the Nova 7 Mars?

Am going to put an order in today (at last:rolleyes:).

Am hoping to order from Futeko if they deliver to Ireland and it doesn't take an age. I need it for begining of December.

Will this be an issue?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi,

Is the Nova Crystal worth the extra 50% over the Nova 7 Mars?

Am going to put an order in today (at last:rolleyes:).

Am hoping to order from Futeko if they deliver to Ireland and it doesn't take an age. I need it for begining of December.

Will this be an issue?

Thanks

I think so, it has a better CPU and GPU, and better quality screen, running JellyBean instead of ICS, has a HDMI output and a healthy user community with a good choice of custom firmware.

Ordered a few for the kids on Monday from futeko and they are currently in Shannon on route to me.:D

Edit: Just received the tablets. Ordering Monday afternoon, delivered Thursday lunchtime.....not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Just to let people know for those novo crystal units shipped on the 15/nov from futeko.com you'll have to update the firmware to overcome hardware incompatibilites (see http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=5598)

W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think so, it has a better CPU and GPU, and better quality screen, running JellyBean instead of ICS, has a HDMI output and a healthy user community with a good choice of custom firmware.

Ordered a few for the kids on Monday from futeko and they are currently in Shannon on route to me.:D

Edit: Just received the tablets. Ordering Monday afternoon, delivered Thursday lunchtime.....not bad.

Nice, I ordered my Crystal from pandawill on the 5th (Futeko didn't list them at the time), and paid extra for FedEx delivery, it only got sent on Tuesday :(

Advertisement