Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

time for a new phone...

• 29-12-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭

Its time for me to get a new phone. I've had the original HTC Hero and currently using a Desire S after a very sad sad time using a Sony... To be honest I'm a big fan of HTC Sense & find that Samsung phones are made from the same materials as found in the yellow plastic eggs inside kinder surprise. Although I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

My current choices lie between the One X+ and the One S... The only thing holding me back on the S is the marginally reduced screen resolution. Its the perfect size for me and feels oh so skinny in the hand. While the One X+ is of a much higher spec, will it bgin to annoy me with its girthy proportions and staid black colour scheme? I'm interested to see what others on boards think.

I am also going to see if it's possible to get the Nexus 4, but I'm nearly sure it's not available in the region, plus it doesn't have any Sense...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Bluefoam wrote: »
    To be honest I'm a big fan of HTC Sense
    I was too until ICS came out with the Holo theme.

I've a Desire S too and since ICS came out I've had CyanogenMod on it, the phone is like new (except the screen is tiny for me).

The HTC Sense you have on your Desire S is slightly different to that on the One X and One S, make sure you are happy enough with this version of Sense before upgrading.

I know people with the S3, One X and One S and they all get used to the size of it and think its perfect, you may be different, nobody but you can definitively answer whether the size will begin to annoy you over time.

The Nexus 4 can be got through the UK Play Store with Parcel Motel (when it comes back in stock).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought the S3 was a ridiculous size when it came out, far too big. The only reason I got one is because it was free and I figured I'd try it out for a few weeks. If I didn't like it I could sell it on, get an S2 and still have cash left over. After a few days I got used to the size and love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

I thought the S3 was a ridiculous size when it came out, far too big. The only reason I got one is because it was free and I figured I'd try it out for a few weeks. If I didn't like it I could sell it on, get an S2 and still have cash left over. After a few days I got used to the size and love it now.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm still a bit stuck... The One X+ seems to be the one to go for. But the One S really does appeal, it's slim, looks good, but its an older generation, so I'm worried it'll age too quickly.

The shopping festival is starting here in the next few days, so am waiting to see if phones get a heavy discount. Nexus 4 isn't available in this part of the world, even with a hotel for parcels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Go to a store and try them both on for size.

I wouldn't have the longest fingers in the world, but I'm comfortable using the S3/One X in one hand.

You get used to it very quickly.

I tend to go for the higher spec model though. :)

• Advertisement

I'm worried it'll age too quickly.
    HTC phones age quicker than Samsung and Sony because HTC don't keep up with updates as long as Samsung and Sony do and as Samsung and Sony are more popular at the moment there is a bigger development community behind them and their phones receive the latest Android versions for longer.

Extremely evident when you compare your Desire S to the Galaxy S2. Released within a month of each other, the S2 has received an official update to Jelly Bean while the Desire S didn't even receive an official update to ICS OTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I went from a Galaxy S2 to a Note 1 (which most people said was farrrr too big) to a Note 2 last week and while it's bigger again, it actually feels smaller than its predecessor and easier to hold/use one-handed.

Oh and FINALLY Samsung added a notification LED - something I've badly missed since my Desire/Desire HD days! (tip: Light Manager on the Market is a very handy tool to customise these notifications :))

Kavrocks wrote: »
    HTC phones age quicker than Samsung and Sony because HTC don't keep up with updates as long as Samsung and Sony do and as Samsung and Sony are more popular at the moment there is a bigger development community behind them and their phones receive the latest Android versions for longer.

Extremely evident when you compare your Desire S to the Galaxy S2. Released within a month of each other, the S2 has received an official update to Jelly Bean while the Desire S didn't even receive an official update to ICS OTA.

Thanks for the feedback, i do appreciate it. But all of the news over the past two weeks state that htc is the fasted to apply updates and is most regular. Samsung are okay with their top of the range phones but ignore most others.

BTW, my desire s got one ota and got jellybean from the website.

Thanks for the feedback, i do appreciate it. But all of the news over the past two weeks state that htc is the fasted to apply updates and is most regular. Samsung are okay with their top of the range phones but ignore most others.

BTW, my desire s got one ota and got jellybean from the website.
    Not sure where you get your news from but as far as I can see the S3 started getting JellyBean on 24 Sep and the One X on 26 Oct and the One S on 24 Dec.

Only ICS was available for the Desire S through htcdev.com not JellyBean.

Don't get me wrong I love HTC phones but they are well behind when it comes to updates. P.S. If I was you I'd buy unbranded i.e. from Carphone Warehouse or similar rather than direct from a Carrier as updates will come quicker that way too.

Only ICS was available for the Desire S through htcdev.com not JellyBean.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Will be buying unbranded and sim free. One X+ seems to be best so far... will buy at the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Not sure where you get your news from but as far as I can see the S3 started getting JellyBean on 24 Sep and the One X on 26 Oct and the One S on 24 Dec.

I rooted my One X a week or so ago because it still hadn't received JB. October 26 is a fictional date for anyone reading boards (excepting any Taiwanese visitors).

psinno wrote: »
    I rooted my One X a week or so ago because it still hadn't received JB. October 26 is a fictional date for anyone reading boards (excepting any Taiwanese visitors).
    I didn't get it from boards and I never said it was being rolled out in Ireland on the 26th Oct.

I didn't get it from boards and I never said it was being rolled out in Ireland on the 26th Oct.

I never said you did but repeating it without context is potentially very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I went from a desire s to the galaxy s3. At first I thought I made a huge mistake not going for the one x. I really missed the sense I didn't like the touch wiz at all. But after a week I was flying along with with it. I love the s3 now and the size is never an issue. I can use the phone with one hand. I didn't bother rooting either I just use nova launcher and it sorted out any lag from touch wiz.

Just a quick thought... CES is coming up soon. Are HTC expected to launch new phones there & if so when would it be reasonable to expect them to be released?

If it's gonna be a few months before new phones hit the shops, I'll by now. But if there are going to be new phones in the next month or so, I may wait.

Just a quick thought... CES is coming up soon. Are HTC expected to launch new phones there & if so when would it be reasonable to expect them to be released?

If it's gonna be a few months before new phones hit the shops, I'll by now. But if there are going to be new phones in the next month or so, I may wait.

I think HTC usually announce stuff at WMC which is at the end of February.

Hmmmm... HTC are expected to launch the successor to the One X a CES next week. Think I'll have to wait.

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-m7-flagship-handset-tipped-for-ces-2013-02262794/

I had decided last night to jump now and get the One X+. I had been considering waiting for the M7, but that is a few months away... So I was going to go to the shops after work and pick up the One. I did a quick google this morning and discovered that there is a local online seller with the HTC Butterfly. I couldn't resist. It will be in my hands in the next couple of hours. A bit on the big side, but the reviews say its incredible.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-butterfly/

Mine will be white...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

I had decided last night to jump now and get the One X+. I had been considering waiting for the M7, but that is a few months away... So I was going to go to the shops after work and pick up the One. I did a quick google this morning and discovered that there is a local online seller with the HTC Butterfly. I couldn't resist. It will be in my hands in the next couple of hours. A bit on the big side, but the reviews say its incredible.

Mine will be white...

Where did you get it from? Can't see anywhere online, don't think it's been released in Europe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,569 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mine will be white...

For me the last and current Nexus phones smash the HTC Line to pieces. I had the Desire and loved it, But they just dont compare with the Stock Nexus at all. I think your limiting yourself due to some love affair with HTC.

On my desk here ive go the hero the legend and the desire. The One is on the other desk and while its a good phone it just doesnt compete with the updates and slickness of the OEM android. Sense has had its day.

• Advertisement

manu2009 wrote: »

Where did you get it from? Can't see anywhere online, don't think it's been released in Europe yet.
    I'm in the middle east. Its a grey import, probably from south Asia

listermint wrote: »

For me the last and current Nexus phones smash the HTC Line to pieces. I had the Desire and loved it, But they just dont compare with the Stock Nexus at all. I think your limiting yourself due to some love affair with HTC.

On my desk here ive go the hero the legend and the desire. The One is on the other desk and while its a good phone it just doesnt compete with the updates and slickness of the OEM android. Sense has had its day.
    You obviously haven't used the Butterfly... Plus, it will get the paired down sense 5.

I'm not to keen on waiting months for an LG nexus, when the back cover is almost guaranteed to break.

It was my first full day with the Butterfly yesterday... I was travelling and was a little worried that the battery wouldn't get me through. I started at 5am, downloaded some maps of where I was going, did some emails and browsed the web waiting for my flight. I turned the phone off for the duration of the 3 hour journey. When I got to the ther end I got hopelessly lost, so I made allot of calls to get me to my destination; sent allot of texts... From there I had a pretty normal day, made plenty of calls. In the evening I got to the airport and did some web surfing for 30 mins over free wifi, turned off the phone again on the 3 hour flight and did some surfing and email on the other end. I got home at 4am and surfed the web for another hour... Bearing in mind that I had turned off data for a large part of the day, because I was roaming; I still managed 24 hours on one charge and there was still plenty of the yellow bar left when I plugged her in.

I'm fairly impressed so far. I'll be interested to see how far I get with data turned on.

Advertisement