Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

I'll be up for a few games soon. I just borked my Mint install (How does one do that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Anyone around this evening for a game?

Im around tonight. Who's around? What games do folks have/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I should be around for games next week (this week is bad). Defo interested in some l4d2.

^ Good to hear,

For the record I have.

L4D2
    Killing Floor
    Guns of Icarus (Everyone should get this one)
    Dota 2 (Its free FYI)
    Counter Strike: Source

Thats about it for my MP games. Anyone else excited for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    ^ Good to hear,

For the record I have.

L4D2
    Killing Floor
    Guns of Icarus (Everyone should get this one)
    Dota 2 (Its free FYI)
    Counter Strike: Source

Thats about it for my MP games. Anyone else excited for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs?

l4d2
    tf2
    cs source

cant play dota
    kf(not sure how to play)
    red orchestra 1

l4d2 (untried yet)
    tf2
    cs source

Must look up Dota
    Got Serious Sam but it maxed out my laptop... unplayable graphics :(
    I'm also pretty crap at gaming :D

Guys, thought I would pass this along. As you might or might not know, Canonical (the creators of Ubuntu) will be slowly changing their Display Server from Xorg (all distros use this) to their own made Mir. Ubuntu 13.10 will be the first release with this change, think of it as half Xorg, half Mir. Its XMir and by the time 14.04 LTS is released, Ubuntu will be Mir'd.

I bring this up because this matters to the Graphics Driver's for your machine. Nvidia, AMD and now Intel will NOT support XMir so if you are on a standard Ubuntu release and are planning to install 13.10... wait until we hear more. 13.10 is still just over a month away so it can still change.

If you are on any Ubuntu based distro's such as Lubuntu, or Linux Mint you need not worry. Every distro apart from Vanilla Ubuntu are staying on Xorg until the original successor (Wayland) is stable.

By the looks of it, if the main vendors go for Wayland, it will force Ubuntu to go that way too. Otherwise we will see either Mir drivers or Wayland drivers. How fun is that... -_-

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?id=58a7611ccfda88c7cbcc62b25b787d6b0fa64081&utm_source=anzwix

Also

Who is down for a few matches of whatever tonight?

Also

Who is down for a few matches of whatever tonight?

I'm good for tonight.
    Do you wants play l4d2 or something as something like tf2 or cs will just be us in a game rather than playing together ?

• Advertisement

Left 4 Dead 2 and CS sound good!

Left 4 Dead 2 and CS sound good!

What time and what's your steam name . I know I have you , just don't know who's who.

Anybody else ?

Say around ten? my user name is tg_savior_self

Say around ten? my user name is tg_savior_self

talk to you then

Nice game of L4D2 tonight! But something seemed amiss with bpb here.

http://imgur.com/a/9YjJA

Either way! We should start having weekly games! L4D2 lacks any sort of in-game voice comm support for Linux though so I propose that we use another VOIP to get chatting. There is always TeamSpeak public channels (eek!) or Google Chat/Skype?

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I don't mind throwing a VOIP program on my AWS if the interest is there. It's running a test CSS server 24/7 at the moment anyway.

What would people want?
    Vent / TS / Mumble?

If it does not cost you anything then go ahead! I can imagine we will only have a max of 4-5 online at once. My vote would have to be TS3 but that is because I have not used the others.

I'm going to install CSS for later if anyone is around tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

OK, setup - [URL]ts3server://54.228.237.140[/URL]

And here is my steam profile, if anyone wants to add me
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/d31b0y/

I mostly play CS:S :)

Awesome man! I'll get TS3 set up tonight. If anyone needs a hand with it I will gladly help.

Anyone around this week for afew games?

I played the new Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on Linux from start to finish. It ran very well on the Open Source AMD drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anyone around this week for afew games?

I played the new Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on Linux from start to finish. It ran very well on the Open Source AMD drivers.

Whats that game like? Was looking at the screenshots, and was thinking of picking it up. Cant beat a good horror game!

I'm a big fan of horror games but they have been lacking over the past few years (Silent Hill 2 will always be a pinnacle for me) but if you played the first Amnesia you will really enjoy this. A Machine for Pigs is creepy, dark and just morbid at times. The immersion of it is just plain awesome though. The story is told better then Amnesia: TDD story but that's because this was from another developer, thechineseroom, who made Dear Ester (also on linux). All in all it's great, there is less interactivity then TDD and more of a you being told a story.

Anyway, yep, no doubt about it. I loved it!

I'm a big fan of horror games but they have been lacking over the past few years (Silent Hill 2 will always be a pinnacle for me) but if you played the first Amnesia you will really enjoy this. A Machine for Pigs is creepy, dark and just morbid at times. The immersion of it is just plain awesome though. The story is told better then Amnesia: TDD story but that's because this was from another developer, thechineseroom, who made Dear Ester (also on linux). All in all it's great, there is less interactivity then TDD and more of a you being told a story.

Anyway, yep, no doubt about it. I loved it!

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to checking it out when I can scrape together a few bob :)

I wonder what the announcement will be about!?

Ah has to be the steam box they were talking about before.

It's something alright.

steam os built on Linux. Ubuntu i would presume
    http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/
    another annoucment in 48 hours, hold on tight

Exciting news for the Linux community! Wonder will the OS be based on Ubuntu or something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Looks like I will be dual booting to give this a look. Would love to see this take off, as one of the main reasons I have stuck with Windows is games.

Advertisement