Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

6. I've always done my exams in the session before christmas which is probably the worst time because you get half of it done before the summer and then have to patch it it up after summer when you've only got a few weeks before the exam is bearing down on you like is happening me now :(. I love it but I'm starting to get sick of it at the same time after doing 6/7 grades in 6 years :/ I probably wont have much time, if any, to keep it up after christmas what with mocks and orals and then the lc.........:(
    Don't worry, you'll be grand! I did grade 5 in 12 weeks and grade 6 with learning one literally 4 weeks before and I still got a high honours in both. Many examiners aren't too bad! Just try to do as much practice as you can and get your scales fluent and you will be fine :)

On another note, how much homework does everyone get? I get so much, sometimes I don't finish until after 10/10.30 and that's only homework, no study! My weekends are filled with nothing but homework from Friday evening so basically I don't get any study done despite me really needing to do some!
    Cannot wait for midterm to a) sleep and b) catch up on work and do some study. How sad is that?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

On another note, how much homework does everyone get? I get so much, sometimes I don't finish until after 10/10.30 and that's only homework, no study! My weekends are filled with nothing but homework from Friday evening so basically I don't get any study done despite me really needing to do some!
    Cannot wait for midterm to a) sleep and b) catch up on work and do some study. How sad is that?! :P

Strangely, not that much at all! I only get about an hour and a half to two hours homework a night thank God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I just get Math and maybe some English, but I'm repeating and have a lot of free classes. I'm looking forward to midterm too. I'm planning on getting a good bit of study done. I kind of wish I had more homework tbh, I find it very difficult to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anything between nothing to two hours, generally it depends on how much maths I have tbh. I find that crazy that you have so much, but it's certainly not a waste of time, at least! I'm curious though, how much homework did you get...last night, for example?

Slow Show wrote: »

Anything between nothing to two hours, generally it depends on how much maths I have tbh. I find that crazy that you have so much, but it's certainly not a waste of time, at least! I'm curious though, how much homework did you get...last night, for example?
    Last night I think I started at around 5.30ish and finished at maybe 9.30ish, not totally sure though. This leaving cert is messing with my mind :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Last night I think I started at around 5.30ish and finished at maybe 9.30ish, not totally sure though. This leaving cert is messing with my mind :P
    Nah I meant like, what homework did you get? :p sorry didn't make that clear at all!

Slow Show wrote: »
    Nah I meant like, what homework did you get? :p sorry didn't make that clear at all!
    Ohh sorry, I did say my mind is gone! :P I had an essay to finish, chemistry exam Qs, French comprehension and learn, maths Qs, Irish grammar Qs, small comprehension Qs, correct a test, write out a picture sequence, Part of a question in accounting (takes a while) and biology exam questions x2. It mightn't seem like a lot but it takes quite a while to do! Hopefully it won't be as bad after Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

6. I've always done my exams in the session before christmas which is probably the worst time because you get half of it done before the summer and then have to patch it it up after summer when you've only got a few weeks before the exam is bearing down on you like is happening me now :(. I love it but I'm starting to get sick of it at the same time after doing 6/7 grades in 6 years :/ I probably wont have much time, if any, to keep it up after christmas what with mocks and orals and then the lc.........:(

I'm the opposite - I always aim for March-ish so as not to clash with school exams :) I know what you mean though, I love it but before my grade 8 I was really getting sick of exams and stuff, but it's worth it so stick with it! I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be grand! Are you doing music for the LC? If not, you can always take a break from it for the year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Hopefully it won't be as bad after Halloween.

It should't be to be honest :) They tend to ease off on the hw the longer the year goes on and just really leave it up to with regards to what work you do. And from Christmas onward the hw and study overlaps because most hw at that stage will just be exam papers and revision questions and the like. Take it from a repeat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Circle and Simple Harmonic motion was going so well for me in applied maths and then Hookes law came along :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The midterm reports are gone home today so it's not that bad. Do you guys get midterm results ? Also we are doing applied maths exam paper questions and they are so challenging . I still can't figure out how I got an a1 in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'm the opposite - I always aim for March-ish so as not to clash with school exams :) I know what you mean though, I love it but before my grade 8 I was really getting sick of exams and stuff, but it's worth it so stick with it! I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be grand! Are you doing music for the LC? If not, you can always take a break from it for the year. :)
    No I'm no doing music for the LC. I was thinking about it but I wasnt mad about the idea and then it clashed with my other subject choices so I had to rule it out. My piano teacher (whose also my cousin) did say that she'd teach me it if I wanted because she a music teacher in another school. I did it for the JC and it was my worst result even though it was a B. She said that LC music was a whole other kettle of fish and that I could do very well in it but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.......... I dont want to give up on the piano though because I know that once I get over the exam I'll start to love it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The midterm reports are gone home today so it's not that bad. Do you guys get midterm results ? Also we are doing applied maths exam paper questions and they are so challenging . I still can't figure out how I got an a1 in it :D
    Which questions do you reckon you'll do?

When are you guys having your Christmas Tests? The 3rd and 6th years have them in mid November in our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

When are you guys having your Christmas Tests? The 3rd and 6th years have them in mid November in our school.

Not exactly Christmas tests then? :P

0mega wrote: »
    Not exactly Christmas tests then? :P

I know right, but that's what the teachers always call them. A few years ago they brought the summer tests back to February/March so they'd be on the same time as the mocks and they still call them "Summer Tests". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Which questions do you reckon you'll do?

I'm gonna butt in here cos Applied Maths<3 I'm gonna do, 1,3,4,5,10 and then it's a toss between 2 and 9. I'm thinking 9 though. I HATE Relative Velocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

If one more teacher tells us we should know something because we did it for the junior cert i am going to get... quite annoyed. It was over two years ago, leave us alone.
    Also today was just horrible in almost every possible way.

Mid-term!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

What are you all hoping to do in college next year? I would really love to do Bio-pharmaceutical Chemistry at the moment in NUIG but points went up 80 points last year from 415 to 495! :O Don't think i'd be able to achieve that :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

ray2012 wrote: »
    What are you all hoping to do in college next year?

Music in UCC, points went down from 375 to 370 this year, so there shouldn't be any problems as long as I put in the work. Gonna check it out at the open day next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What are you all hoping to do in college next year? I would really love to do Bio-pharmaceutical Chemistry at the moment in NUIG but points went up 80 points last year from 415 to 495! :O Don't think i'd be able to achieve that :/

One piece of advice, even if you don't think it's going to happen, put it as #1 on your CAO if you really want it. I wanted to do Psychology in 5th year, then decided in 6th year to take it off thinking I wouldn't get the points to do it. Ended up getting the points and got my #1 of Civil Law and Business in NUI Maynooth, did it for a week, hated it and dropped out.

Thankfully, a week later I requested an internal transfer into Psychology in NUI Maynooth. I really didn't think i'd get in as I was 3 weeks behind and had only gotten 5 points over the cut-off for 2012 (I got 525, points were 520). Anyway, I ended up getting my place in Psychology and I absolutely love it! :D I'm so happy where I am in it at the minute and know it's just perfect for me! <3

So yeah, go with your gut and if you want something (even though you mighn't think it'll happen, LEAVE IT ON YOUR FECKING CAO.. :P)

I am inbetween two courses at the moment, Music Performance in the Royal Irish Academy of Music - it was only 180 points this year including a huge interview/audition which will probably stop me from getting in :mad: or Music and Irish TSM in Trinity, which was approx 540 points this year... although I'm not too sure if I'll manage to get that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Hoping for Medicine in TCD, hoping being the operative word. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Electronic and Computer Engineering in UL for me hopefully :)

395 points so shouldn't be a problem as long as I put in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Anyone else get a feck load of work to be done over midterm? :P We have been swamped with stuff!

David1994 wrote: »
    Anyone else get a feck load of work to be done over midterm? :P We have been swamped with stuff!

I didn't get that much...like not as much as I was expecting. Poetry question, major melody and harmony for music, Maths full Paper 2, Biology exam questions... Then just general revision in other subjects. I've November exams the week after we come back so even though I don't have much homework, I have to study for all of those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Hoping for Medicine in TCD, hoping being the operative word. :P

Perhaps I'll hopefully be seeing you there! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

David1994 wrote: »

Got no writing except for a Bishop essay! All the teachers told us to take it easy or we'll just burn out . . gonna take that advice literally for a day or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Got no writing except for a Bishop essay! All the teachers told us to take it easy or we'll just burn out . . gonna take that advice literally for a day or two!

I wish we could take it easy. :( Tests start when we go back on Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement