Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do people look down on other who dont own cars?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So my question is in day to day life do people look down/be little others who don't own their own transportation?

I notice this too when it comes to meeting the opposite sex too, however i'm of the opinion that it helps keep potential gold diggers away but it can be said that maybe it shows lack of progress in ones life.......... discuss! :-)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

People in double decker buses look down on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I drive by necessity not choice. I love when i see someone managing without there own transport.

When i lived in Dublin i always used public transport. However my child can get quite ill and at the time i was not entitled to medical cards for him so ambulances and taxi's became very expensive.

So no unless maybe if i am a certain teenager who measures the size of my flute by weather or not i am driving a car, no i dont look down on people who dont drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Buses are for poor people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Oblig - BUS ****!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Didn't Maggie Tatcher say something along the lines of this?

"A man who rides the bus at the age of 26 can count himself a failure in life"
    IMO anyone who doesn't drive should wallow in the riches they've accrued by not spending on annual tax and insurance, weekly petrol, interest payments on the 5 year lease loan to buy the car in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Depends - if you live out in the middle of nowhere with no decent public transport and are always scabbing lifts off people around you then yes. If you live in a city and can get around perfectly well by bike/bus/tram etc then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Scum...now out of my way I'm a motorist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't forget the smelly people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Well, I don't look down on them, but people in their 30's who don't have a licence is a bit ridiculous. Car or no car, just get a licence. You might need it someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Public transport is smelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Some buses have a higher breed of people i.e. the 122 to cabra:p

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

To be honest in my opinion most people are to busy to think about such

issues....and are only concerned about their own lives.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wouldnt say look down on , but when you have a group of friends in their mid 20s and theres 2 of you out of 10 that can drive it can sometimes get annoying as youll say your going to a party etc.. And all of a sudden you have people fighting over whos getting a lift without being consulted yourself , or being woken up at 3-4am by one of your mates drunk thinking its a great idea to ask you to give a lift home for free. Theres just a subconscious resentment for people who sit there saying ' i dont need a car' and refuse to learn how to drive , yet call you at every oppertunity or wont go somewhere unless theyre getting a lift.

The idea that some people in this day and age dont want to drive despite clearly realising that they need access to a car is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Well, I don't look down on them, but people in their 30's who don't have a licence is a bit ridiculous. Car or no car, just get a licence. You might need it someday!

Yeah....for driving that invisible car which you don't have......therefore.......don't need it.

I can sorta understand where you're coming from, but that's more of an 'affects your social standing' kind of an attitude than anything else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm only learning to drive now at 24.

During my Uni tenure, a bus picked me up and dropped me off about 10 mins from my house every day.

After that, Matthew's Coaches pick up literally at my front door step.

As such, I've simply never had the need to put myself into debt to buy a car. Now though, as I start to work, and as such have both the requirement and the money to get the car, I'm learning to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Living in Dublin city I don't need a car, nor all the overheads that go with it. I am quite happy to walk everywhere and use public transport. If I ever need to drive somewhere I can take a taxi using all the money I save on not having a car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I don't own a car, I have no need for one. I do however have a bike with an engine that's bigger than the average car and enjoy driving it in my own time rather than commuting to work. I love the look on peoples faces when the realise its got a bigger engine than their Golf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I wouldn't look down on people that use public transport, but I do hate it. without fail I always get the drunk, the junkie, the person that talks to them self, or the one that bangs so badly of BO that my eyes water come over and sit beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Yes and they deserve to.

Someone who can get a loan to buy a car is probably in a better financial situtation than someone who hasent tried to get a loan to have a car.

Funny this thread should happen today as it was only yeaterday myself and the OH was visiting her sister.

They live in a housing estate ( mainly 3 bedroomed semis and not one 2012 car in the whole estate ).

When we got to our ( mainly 4 bedroomed detched ) estate I counted 7 2012 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

mikemac1 wrote: »

Excuse me, I take the bus for a variety of sociological and environmental reasons.......and abject and soul crushing poverty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Bad Panda wrote: »

Exactly - my cousin doesn't have a car but he's learning to drive. He works for a painter/decorator who can give him more work by letting him drive the company jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Yes and they deserve to.

Someone who can get a loan to buy a car is probably in a better financial situtation than someone who hasent tried to get a loan to have a car.

Funny this thread should happen today as it was only yeaterday myself and the OH was visiting her sister.

They live in a housing estate ( mainly 3 bedroomed semis and not one 2012 car in the whole estate ).

How nice for you, are you one of those materialistic, competitive couples then? You have one bedroom more in your detached house than her sister has in her meagre little semi and more people drive 2012 cars in your neighbourhood, must be tense around the dinner table.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i can drive and like driving, but i take public transport when in dublin when possible... just less hassle

duno why someone wouldn't have a licence though, don't know what i ever did without being able to drive!!

Living in Dublin city I don't need a car, nor all the overheads that go with it. I am quite happy to walk everywhere and use public transport. If I ever need to drive somewhere I can take a taxi using all the money I save on not having a car. :)

Living in any city a car is more of a headache than anything else
    shar01 wrote: »
    Exactly - my cousin doesn't have a car but he's learning to drive. He works for a painter/decorator who can give him more work by letting him drive the company jeep.

Good point, just because you don't have a car, it's still worth getting your licence, if you decide to work, travel etc, always handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Who wants a car anyway

The coolest posters on boards are over in the motorcycle forum :cool:
    Getting all the wimmins

Yes and they deserve to.

I hope none of your friends seen you drive in to their estate...the shame:o, I'm embarrassed for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

How nice for you, are you one of those materialistic, competitive couples then? You have one bedroom more in your detached house than her sister has in her meagre little semi and more people drive 2012 cars in your neighbourhood, must be tense around the dinner table.:D

And even tenser since we have been adjudged exempt for the 100 euro household charge because we live in an "Unfinished estate" I mean the shame.
    ( We didn't tell the sister, but she found out somehow )

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Yes and they deserve to.

You must be trolling coz I feel sorry for you and yours if you're not

Me & me mate cruising for chicks:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

BLACKEN wrote: »
    So my question is in day to day life do people look down/be little others who don't own their own transportation?

I notice this too when it comes to meeting the opposite sex too, however i'm of the opinion that it helps keep potential gold diggers away but it can be said that maybe it shows lack of progress in ones life.......... discuss! :-)
    I always hide the fact that I own a 98' Jetta until i'm sure it's really me she's intrerested in.

Advertisement