Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally?

• 18-11-2013 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

UK ISPs have been asked to block 21 more websites that are believed to be linked to pirated music.

The court order follows an application by the BPI which represents the British music industry.

The list includes BeeMPS, Abmp3 and several torrent sites, which link to copyright infringing material.

Previously ISPs have been asked to block access to the Pirate Bay and seven other websites.

"We asked the sites to stop infringing copyright but unfortunately they did not and we were left with little choice but to apply to the court," said Geoff Taylor, BPI chief executive.

Gareth Mead, a Virgin Media spokesman said: "As a responsible ISP we obey court orders addressed to the company."

BT also said that it would block the sites.

But music analyst Mark Mulligan thinks that other developments are more responsible for the decline in usage of file-sharing sites.

"As things move more towards cloud-based models and streaming, there is less use of peer-to-peer sites," he said.

"While such blocks will deter the casual pirate, there are still plenty of workarounds for those more determined to get content for free."

Much of the focus of copyright infringement has shifted from music to illegal film and TV downloads.

According to the TorrentFreak website, popular TV show Breaking Bad was downloaded 500,000 times from various sites when the final episode aired in October.

Popular torrent site isoHunt closed this month following a lengthy court battle with the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) although it appears to have been resurrected by new owners just two weeks after the shutdown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24726078

Full list of sites that will be blocked

Abmp3
    BeeMP3
    Bomb-Mp3
    FileCrop
    FilesTube
    Mp3Juices
    eMp3World
    Mp3lemon
    Mp3Raid
    Mp3skull
    NewAlbumReleases
    Rapidlibrary
    1337x
    BitSnoop
    ExtraTorrent
    Monova
    TorrentCrazy
    TorrentDownloads
    TorrentHound
    Torrentreactor
    Torrentz

Is it only a matter of time before Irish ISPs follow suit? The only action that stands out over recent years is Eircom's blocking The Pirate Bay and there's plenty of workarounds for that.

Do you download illegally?

Poll to follow

Do you download media illegally? 477 votes

Yes I download music illegally
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I download TV torrents
    6% 30 votes
    Yes I download movie torrents
    8% 42 votes
    Yes I download all of the above illegally
    5% 27 votes
    No I dont download torrents, I pay for all my Music, TV and Movies
    67% 322 votes
    Other (please specify)
    11% 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

People on the internet should expect to pay for some things.

/unpopular opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So it's to be done by October 30th... was it done or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I dont think im the only one who does it regularly, but still feels its not right and everyone should be paying for whatever they're downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

yes all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Well if you "support the artist" by buying on iTunes. Apple takes a whopping 70% of the sale. Once you take out the lawyer fees, record label fees and other the other "evil coporate people". Your favourite artist probably has got a cent or two.

Dr dre realised making a living off music was over and set up beats. And he has made a killing off it. Like wise Hollywood makes a ton of money off merchandising.

My grandparents have pirated copies of hard back books. Privacy has existed for ever. Companies are just too lazy and stupid to adjust.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Block away, it won't do ****.

I don't download as much due to things like Netflix, if I can get it easier and in better quality for a reasonable price I'll pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yep. When it comes to games I often buy them anyway in sales later one and nowadays if you want to play online you need to own the game but movies/tv series for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

This cat-and-mouse game will continue forever more. Piracy will always exist.
    The companies getting their acts together and making a different kind of service is the only option.

I don't agree with screwing over the independent, smaller acts, and we need to promote them, properly- but the TV and Movie companies are the ones to get moving on things.

Always relevant...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Does youtube count ? - I convert songs off youtube to mp3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I literally only download one thing... The Walking Dead, as I'm too impatient to wait a week or whatever to watch it over here.

For everything else, I'll rent through my Xbox, or my local Xtravision. I'll buy music occasionally from iTunes. And I've got Netflix, so I'm grand. Really can't be arsed pirating. Don't understand half of these pirate and torrent websites anyway. :o

Does youtube count ? - I convert songs off youtube to mp3.

That definitely counts ;) and you're doing your ears a big disservice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Used to always use Limewire for music. That was unreal!

I was years behind on the oul Torrent things but use it now for TV shows and some movies. Never for new releases but mainly for movies I can't get hold of easily.

Don't have Netflix.

So yes I illegally download. The shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

No, but I illegally stream.

Have you seen the price of Ballygowan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

Not all torrents on sites are illegal.Some do be legit/free like linux os.
    Sometimes i think people have no choice but to go the dishonest route.Some movies/dvd sets are censored or missing features that are included in other regions,or they might not have been released here.

Other example would be movies/albums that have been out of print for years and not yet been reissued.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix has been great and stopped me downloading. Now If HBO GO and Hulu and Lovefilm were here it would stop me competely I think. I have spent a lot of money over the years upgrading my Videos to DvD to BluRay so I had now problem streaming or downloading a movie every now and again.

Music isn't my thing for downloading but I know plenty of people now who use Spotify and will use iRadio when it goes live.

These companies are just to late to the market place and stopping downloading now will be near impossibale as there are people who think it is their right to have everything on the internet for FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

The music industry needs to come up with something new to make people want to buy music, as opposed to chasing those who don't see the value in paying.
    I'd imagine for some people it comes down to not caring to pay for things they'll never see a physical copy of.

I always like to buy vinyl of albums I like. Usually for the big cover art and extras they throw in sometimes.
    I think more people would buy the product if owning it felt more worthwhile than stealing it. (eg: unique packaging, free posters/merchandise, ability to buy pre-sale tickets for gigs)
    There is rarely any disadvantage to stealing over buying with digital media.

Also, whats all this crap about people not actually owning the music that they buy on itunes? ie: if you die, apparently the music can't be passed on to someone else. :confused:

I forgot to add "streaming" as an option so tick any of the torrent options if you're sometimes bold in that way.

I recently streamed all 7 seasons of The Shield guilt free. Based on its quality I know I'll someday buy the DVD/BluRay boxset when the extras get juicy enough, but there's no way Id have done so blind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

XBMC with Icefilms and 1channel, game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Stream and torrent a bit. Have netflix now which reduces it a bit, and spotify but I never used to download that much music anyway, mainly just movies and books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am a huge gamer, but I haven't pirated a single game in 10 years. Prices of pc games became really good and if you wait few weeks, them most likely you can get games for less then 50%.

I torrent some TV shows awaits pretty much the only way to get those shows. Having breaking bad on Netflix is awesome. Now I am watching Doctor who, but it does not have all seasons. So I will have to torrent the rest.

I have not pirated music in ages. I got YouTube and spotify. Works great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Talk about an exercise in pissin against the wind, no one on the internet has ever heard of a proxy like. I wonder how much money they flushed down the drain for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I am a huge gamer, but I haven't pirated a single game in 10 years. Prices of pc games became really good and if you wait few weeks, them most likely you can get games for less then 50%.

I torrent some TV shows awaits pretty much the only way to get those shows. Having breaking bad on Netflix is awesome. Now I am watching Doctor who, but it does not have all seasons. So I will have to torrent the rest.

I have not pirated music in ages. I got YouTube and spotify. Works great.

I don't pirate games either. You very rarely get access to the online features anyway.
    Well, that's not true there are some old games like starcraft etc. I lost my discs ages ago so now I just have torrented ones.

I subscribe to netflix. I'd do the same if iPlayer was available here. I torrent about 50% of what I watch. maybe more. Nearly all my music is torrented. I wouldn't pay for it either.

The thing is netflix is actually really bad for the net. the amount of bandwidth it takes up is stupid.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/15/bittorrent-says-netflix-is-hogging-bandwidth-not-beating-it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24911187

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Certain movies & tv shows are the ones I download most.I know UK tv are getting better with showing stuff with 24-48 hours of it first airing in the States but the wait on other stuff is laughable.3 shows I watch regularly are almost a year behind on tv over here.My local cinema closed down due to a bigger,fancier one opening in Wexford,it's a 30 mile round trip to see a movie without even factoring in the ticket price & snacks.It's just not feasible to go as often as I'd like.
    Couldn't be bothered with Netflix as Xbmc provides me with more content than I'd have time to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I illegally stream TV/Movies from time to time but never illegally download per say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'll download albums I can't get here. I want the new Cassadee Pope album, it's still unavailable on iTunes despite being out in the US a month. Same with the new Florida Georgia Line album (although that's out in the US almost a year). If it wasn't for a friend going over there next week I'd have downloaded them, as there's no other way for me to get them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'll download albums I can't get here. I want the new Cassadee Pope album, it's still unavailable on iTunes despite being out in the US a month. Same with the new Florida Georgia Line album (although that's out in the US almost a year). If it wasn't for a friend going over there next week I'd have downloaded them, as there's no other way for me to get them here.

I think you need to illegally download a good taste in music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I download illegally too, but Netflix has cut down on that quite a bit. If BBC iPlayer was available over here that would cut down further on my illegal downloading.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

nocoverart wrote: »
    I think you need to illegally download a good taste in music :)

It's better than one direction and all that shíte!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But it doesnt help that sometimes it take for ever for films to be released in Europe. Often you can illegally download a DVDrip from some torrent site before the movie hits the screen in Europe. It was the same with tv shows until networks realised they needed to air tv shows the day after America does (eg Homeland on RTE2 is 2 days after the us airing, but 5 years ago could be 6 months after the America airing).

You really give out to someone using torrent for a TV show in Ireland when it will never air in Ireland or is on at 3,30 am on a Sunday night on TG4(mad men was some "fantastic time" like that)

Advertisement