Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It turns out Muller is only out for three weeks, so he'll back for the playoffs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22059639

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It turns out Muller is only out for three weeks, so he'll back for the playoffs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22059639

Massive news for Ulster.

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Great news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah that's big news and going by the tone of that article Afoa is only away back to NZ for a week.

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah that's big news and going by the tone of that article Afoa is only away back to NZ for a week.
    Yea, but he's going back more often. It certainly seems we need to start planning for life after John Afoa. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Not sure how long LM needs to make a recovery (is that even properly possible) from all the head injuries but it is critical that it's done now. Maybe already to late (didn't it used to be 3 concussions and out).

In any case if it's several months or more I hope for his sake there's no lasting damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Not sure how long LM needs to make a recovery (is that even properly possible) from all the head injuries but it is critical that it's done now. Maybe already to late (didn't it used to be 3 concussions and out).

In any case if it's several months or more I hope for his sake there's no lasting damage.

With 3 concussions in a short spell, there's a possibility that permanent damage has been done. There's research that shows once you sustain a couple of concussions you are more susceptible to them for good. You may not suffer the bad symptoms such as migraines, irritability etc. but you can be on a slippery slope. I really hope that LM is given every minute he needs of recovery and only sees non contact work between now and next season. He's still very young and his career and long term health is in jeopardy.

For those that haven't read them before, here are the accounts of Bernard Jackman and John Fogarty in relation to suffering concussions during their professional careers.

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport/rugby/case-studies-rugby-and-concussion-1-1963714

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

If Marshall had to retire (and to be fair there's absolutely no indication or suggestion that we're anywhere near that) then the people who selected him would be in for a s***storm of criticism even if the were able to point to the guidelines and say they followed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Is it too soon to put Henderson into the second row v Dragons?

henderson.gif

Just love this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

So it looks like the Ferris departure is a done deal
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22093762

• Advertisement

I just hope it is to somewhere like Japan with the intention of returning in a few years and not a move to some club where he'll be lining up against us at some point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

awec wrote: »
    I just hope it is to somewhere like Japan with the intention of returning in a few years and not a move to some club where he'll be lining up against us at some point. :(

I'd be very surprised if a top French or English club were taking a punt on him considering how often he is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Rumour is Jannie du Plessis to Ulster if Afoa leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

damianmcr wrote: »
    Rumour is Jannie du Plessis to Ulster if Afoa leave.

I think him and his brother are out of contract at the end of the year and were looking at moving to Europe. He'd be a good signing come scrum time, rarely get's in trouble there but he's not as conspicuous in the loose as Afoa. He rarely does the full 80 minutes for the Sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

yimrsg wrote: »
    I think him and his brother are out of contract at the end of the year and were looking at moving to Europe. He'd be a good signing come scrum time, rarely get's in trouble there but he's not as conspicuous in the loose as Afoa. He rarely does the full 80 minutes for the Sharks.

Could well be a good thing. Macklin will get there, and Lutton looked strong against Healy.

Ulster need Stan Wright imo

yea some1 with a bit of dog in him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭jacothelad

yea some1 with a bit of dog in him

A Korean after lunch time?

id prefer a bbq. just like stan the man

id prefer a bbq. just like stan the man
    I forgot about Stan's 'hot dog'.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

15-9): P Nelson, T Bowe, D Cave, S Olding, C Gilroy, R Pienaar, P Marshall
    (1-8): T Court, R Best (c), R Lutton, I Henderson, D Tuohy, R Diack, M McComish, N Williams;
    Replacements: (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, A Birch, N O’Connor, M Allen, A D’Arcy.

Strong enough to put a BP past the Dragons.

• Advertisement

BP win would be a huge boost toward a home semi. Can't see Leinster getting a BP win at Thomond

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

rchendz92 wrote: »
    (1-8): T Court, R Best (c), R Lutton, I Henderson, D Tuohy, R Diack, M McComish, N Williams;
    Replacements: (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, A Birch, N O’Connor, M Allen, A D’Arcy.

Strong enough to pub a BP past the Dragons.

Henderson in the Row, Lutton ahead of Fitzpatrick, McComish ahead of Birch even as a 7, Pienaar at 10.

Any word on where Darcy is mobing to next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

awec wrote: »
    BP win would be a huge boost toward a home semi. Can't see Leinster getting a BP win at Thomond

Unlikely but if Munster rest a few players stranger things have happened but it all in Ulsters court between the two games and should be a comfortable win.

rchendz92 wrote: »

Strong enough to put a BP past the Dragons.

You think? I hope so but let's not forget where the Dragons are strong and where we look quite weak this week. The back row. Lydiate and Felatau against McComish and Diack. Diack is decent but Lydiate and Felatau could yet make up two thirds of the Lions test back row. Let's just see what sort of ball we get on Friday. That said if we do get good ball then we have lots of pace in the backline.

I want to see a big performance from Ruan as well. We haven't had one for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If Ulster don't get a BP win against the Dragons I'll eat awec's hat.

ssaye wrote: »
    Unlikely but if Munster rest a few players stranger things have happened but it all in Ulsters court between the two games and should be a comfortable win.

Having McComish at 7 is mad. He is to that position what a chocolate fireguard is to a blast furnace. He is playing against a back row containing Faletau and Lydiate. Instead of a backrow of Henderson, Williams and Henry who are all fit, we have Diack, Williams and McComish. Play Stevenson and Tuohy in the 2nd row and Henderson at 6 ffs.

Why in the name of feck do we need to rest players? We need our strongest team available on the field. 3 games to go and we need 13 or 14 points in reality. Is this one of those occasions where underestimating the opposition leads to stupid decisions before kick off? Let's hope not or we can see the Rabo disappearing over the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think Ulster need to rest players anymore, given they're out of Europe.

However, I'd say the Ulster U20s could still beat Dragons.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Having McComish at 7 is mad. He is to that position what a chocolate fireguard is to a blast furnace. He is playing against a back row containing Faletau and Lydiate. Instead of a backrow of Henderson, Williams and Henry who are all fit, we have Diack, Williams and McComish. Play Stevenson and Tuohy in the 2nd row and Henderson at 6 ffs.

Why in the name of feck do we need to rest players? We need our strongest team available on the field. 3 games to go and we need 13 or 14 points in reality. Is this one of those occasions where underestimating the opposition leads to stupid decisions before kick off? Let's hope not or we can see the Rabo disappearing over the horizon.

Well maybe the thinking is we can beat the Dragons with this team and that we'll send a full strength team down to Connacht next week.

In saying that the week after will be a rest week now that we're out of Europe so they'll be getting a rest in two weeks anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jacothelad wrote: »

Is Stevenson fully fit? He hasn't featured in a fair few weeks (since Edinburgh I think?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mike McComish is to Richie McCaw what Niall O'Connor is to Dan Carter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement