Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling around Galway city

Options
  • 27-08-2015 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

get a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

RHJ wrote: »

i'd say they're all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Not sure why anyone needs a front flasher as they are very disruptive to oncoming traffic but do a search as there is a Hugh thread on lights with good information......

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

So recently I completed my big move into the city. But before I get started and with winter making its inevitable return.

I need of a set of lights, but as usual, I have no idea what to buy, so I'm looking for suggestions. I will mainly be cycling around the city, although I'm hoping of getting a work placement out in oranmore. Luckily I have a Magicshine MJ-872, which should be bright enough to light the way along the road anyway to get to the point I need a pair of flashing lights for the front and back, I'd appreciate any suggestions Cost wise I'm setting myself a max budget of €50. Hopefully that should be enough

Also in terms of clothing. Any suggestions perhaps a decent pair of rain trousers and do the RSA still give out free hi viz jackets and backpack covers?

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Good night everyone

RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Never understood why anyone drove in Galway city, endless traffic jams and a hundred roundabouts in a tiny space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Not sure why anyone needs a front flasher as they are very disruptive to oncoming traffic but do a search as there is a Hugh thread on lights with good information......

That depends a lot on the brightness. If they are bright enough to see with in darkness then I'd agree with you, but if it's a small light to be seen, flashing is more effective/visible than a constant-on light, and as long as there is a slight downward tilt it should not disrupt anyone's vision - late dipping of headlights would be far more disruptive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

get a car

MOD VOICE: In Galway city, jebus, you must think the OP has nothing but time to waste. Also this is the cycling forum and your post was hardly relevant to the question asked. Let's leave it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi There

If you PM me a size and a suitable drop off location I can donate a free "tribes on bikes" hi viz vest.

TribesOnBikes_Logo_en160.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I use the Silva Simi front and back on the bike. €15 each for a bright steady or flashing light.

http://silva.se/product-family/simi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Hi There

If you PM me a size and a suitable drop off location I can donate a free "tribes on bikes" hi viz vest.

TribesOnBikes_Logo_en160.png

One for every Galwegian in the audience?? :o

One for every Galwegian in the audience?? :o

Absolutely.

If you are into that kind of thing you can also have matching slap wraps, spoke reflectors, a saddle cover and some cycling skills leaflets.

And also seat among the righteous when the angels call on the last day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

And also seat among the righteous when the angels call on the last day :D

My seat among the righteous - at last :D

Cool - thanks ...I'll DM you my address ...you might need to bubble wrap the seat ;)

I had a look at your website - wasn't aware of it before, but great idea
    Out of interest, are there any Tribes on Bikes or GalwayCycling events happening these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Very little on the comfort stakes I would think - should have more speed less drag with a 28mm tyre plus it should fit with your mud guards.

MOD VOICE: Because I am stupid and made a mistake.

MOD VOICE: Apologies, I mixed this up with another thread, its more the thread title that is wrong than your question. As most of your questions are quite general and not specifically linked to cycling in Galway City (there is a good thread on the Galway forum about cycling/walking in the city). Not sure why you though i would ban you though, or why you are so angry, a PM to explain your confusion would have been far simpler.

My seat among the righteous - at last :D

Cool - thanks ...I'll DM you my address ...you might need to bubble wrap the seat ;)

I had a look at your website - wasn't aware of it before, but great idea
    Out of interest, are there any Tribes on Bikes or GalwayCycling events happening these days?

No not many events at mo but this is in the nature of voluntary groups. There are times when people have time and times when they don't. So the lady who originally put together the original project for "tribes on bikes" is now the proud and very very busy mother of two new restaurants.

So if there are folks who want to sell cycling in Galway we'll happily give them a platform.

Some of the big events like the bike week treasure hunt have had to be parked for a while. This was because we found that the city council were setting up competing events in the city at the same times. ( I will leave it at that.)

You cant expect to get more people cycling unless you sell cycling. So anyone who wants to sell cycling as a normal form of transport has a platform with us.

Advertisement