Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

After a win on tour, to not extend his season beyond the Barclays just shows how poor Padraig's been otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

After a win on tour, to not extend his season beyond the Barclays just shows how poor Padraig's been otherwise.

Agreed. It has been a poor season apart from the Honda. But I wouldn't rule him out of the top 100 just yet. If results go his way, he may just about sneak in. He's currently projected to be 100th and if Greg Owen misses the cut (he's currently right on the cut mark) Padraig's projected position will go to 99th.

Admittedly, he will need a lot of luck to stay in the top 100, but if it happens then maybe, just maybe, he'll take advantage of the reprieve and put in a good performance next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

I think he will make it into next week! , 100th place at the moment in FedEx projected , course is not playing easy.

Most people would have taken a paddy win and rubbish rest of year over mediocre year I reckon

Stella89 wrote: »
    I think he will make it into next week! , 100th place at the moment in FedEx projected , course is not playing easy.

Most people would have taken a paddy win and rubbish rest of year over mediocre year I reckon

Situation re top 100 is fluctuating all the time, but should be somewhat clearer after the half way cut. Two players currently on the cut line who could finish ahead of Padraig if they have a good weekend are Lee Westwood and Carlos Ortiz. If neither of them makes the cut, it will help Padraig's chances of making it through to next week.

However, it think it's going to be a nervous weekend for Padraig and his fans and final position may not be known until most players have finished their 4th round.

By the way, I agree that most fans would have settled for a win and a rubbish year otherwise instead of a mediocre year. But it's still disappointing that he wasn't able to push on after the Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Disappointed to see a missed cut last night, too many 3 putts... He's 100th in the fedex rankings after the 2nd round...Is there realistically any chance of him holding onto it or is it miracle praying?... Would be really saddened to see his season end on such a whimper...Looking to next year, I wonder what he will do to change things...Honda aside, it has been a terrible season...Would like him to concentrate more on weekly events instead of focusing solely on majors, as I'd feel he would be more consistent in Majors if he got his weekly approach right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

101 at the mo, needs a few players to mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

..He's 100th in the fedex rankings after the 2nd round...Is there realistically any chance of him holding onto it or is it miracle praying?...

To be frank I think it makes no difference either way. His form is so poor that you couldn't realistically expect him to pull something out of the bag next week.

Aidric wrote: »
    To be frank I think it makes no difference either way. His form is so poor that you couldn't realistically expect him to pull something out of the bag next week.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Having said that, I'd prefer him to make it through to next week and have a chance of proving us all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did he make it to next week or have we to wait to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Does anyone know the scenarios(if any) for Padraig to stay in the top 100 of the FedEx after today? (My pga tour phone app has no FedEx points details on the leaderboard.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the scenarios(if any) for Padraig to stay in the top 100 of the FedEx after today? (My pga tour phone app has no FedEx points details on the leaderboard.)

I don't know the ins and outs, but he's projected 103 at the moment.

The players out on the course who have entered the top 100 from outside are Nick Taylor, Johnson Wagner and Stewart Cink so Padraig would need pretty disastrous rounds for each of those three at a minimum.

I think there's pretty much zero chance of him making it to be honest.

Here is the live fedex table.

I don't think there is no hope, I would not take a drop of to many places for the named players to drop a few places.

J

I've had a look at the 21 players who started behind Padraig and who have made the cut and I've worked out where they need to finish in order to finish ahead of Padraig in the table.

OFFICIAL PLAYER NAME REQUIRED CURRENT
    87 Padraig Harrington
    88 John Senden Cut T42
    89 Jim Herman Cut T19
    91 Kevin Chappell 69 T23
    92 Bryce Molder 67 T10
    98 Jason Gore 59 T31
    100 Hudson Swafford 57 T51
    101 Johnson Wagner 54 T42
    102 Nick Taylor 55 T51
    103 Jason Dufner 55 T10
    106 Zac Blair 53 T7
    110 Lee Westwood 51 T58
    112 Carlos Ortiz 47 T23
    114 Mark Wilson 43 T23
    115 Spencer Levin 43 T7
    116 Stewart Cink 42 T42
    117 Ken Duke 41 T58
    118 Vijay Singh 41 T66
    119 Luke Donald 39 T20
    123 Camilo Villegas 35 T20
    124 Ryo Ishikawa 33 T66
    125 Jeff Overton 33 T69

He needs 8 of them to finish behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Whoa thanks abff! Not much chance but you never know..

Whoa thanks abff! Not much chance but you never know..

Sorry forgot the link

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-barclays/points.html

He 103 at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Happy 44th birthday anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

3 weeks off and back for the Italian Open.

Italian Open
    European Open
    Dunhill links
    British Masters
    Portugal Masters
    Hong Kong

The final Series
    Turkey
    HSBC
    BMW Masters
    Dubai

Only played 7 events so far so I wonder what his plan is to get to 13? 4 of 5 of the next 6 id guess. Criteria for Turkey and BMW isn't clear so not sure he'll be eligible. HSBC criteria seems to have changed as well, before his Honda win would have got him in. Dubai is a long shot at this stage, currently over 100K points outside top 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

If he can get into Dubai he only needs to fit in five more however he is more than 200,000 outside it. He does not qualify for either Turkey or the HSBC, think as a past champion he would get into the BMW as an invite, the Turkish event also offers invites - Monty played in it last year but he was course designer so that could be the reason

I see he is entered for Italian Open, after that I would guess Dunhill, British Masters, Portugal and Hong Kong.

He will probably also defend the title he won out in Indonesia before Christmas last year and I think he has to play at least one event in the fall series on the PGA Tour

HSBC criteria seems to have changed as well, before his Honda win would have got him in.

I hadn't realised this. I thought his Honda win would get him into the HSBC. I've just checked this year's elibibility rules and they're completely changed since last year. That's very disappointing.

Season looks like it's going to fizzle out unless he can pull something special out of the bag over the next few weeks.

Dero123 wrote: »
    I think he has to play at least one event in the fall series on the PGA Tour

Why would he need to do this? He's played 21 events this season, which I'm pretty sure is well in excess of the required minimum.

• Advertisement

What will happen if Padraig doesn't play the minimum of 13 tournaments required for full membership of the European Tour? Will this restrict the events he can play in next season, or will his ten year exemption for winning a major still apply?

This may be a moot point, as it seems likely he will concentrate on the PGA Tour for the next two seasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just posted by P...
    I've had my MRI on my injure right knee. I've a tear in the meniscus. 3 months of managing it in the gym and then a winter op.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

slave1 wrote: »
    Just posted by P...
    I've had my MRI on my injure right knee. I've a tear in the meniscus. 3 months of managing it in the gym and then a winter op.

So is that his season shot?

slave1 wrote: »
    Just posted by P...

Where did he say this? I've had a look at both his website and his Facebook page and all they say is that he's awaiting the results of a scan on his knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

abff wrote: »
    Where did he say this? I've had a look at both his website and his Facebook page and all they say is that he's awaiting the results of a scan on his knee.

He posted it on Facebook earlier. I saw it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was on his Twitter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'm unclear if it's three months out from now (season over!) and a quick recovery after surgery or continue to play until December and then three months out after surgery.

Also, he has lifetime membership of the European Tour which presumably means he can play in any event he ever wants apart from limited field events with specific qualification requirements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've had same injury to both knees, without the level of support he will receive post op and without the 3 months of gym prep pre op, I was back to full golf after 6 weeks both times (each knee done), he should be back considerably earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

@padraig_h: Just to clear things up,I intend to play over the next couple of months.I have to manage the injury in my right knee until the winter break.

• Advertisement

I was just looking at the entry list for next week's KLM Open and I see that Padraig is listed as a tournament invitation. This is not mentioned on his website, but I presume he will be playing and that he needed an invite because he missed the normal close of entries date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement