Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

announced on PGA tour radio that he's playing next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

HighLine wrote: »

Nice little build up he got going there. :)
    Fair play to him for getting back so quickly.

https://instagram.com/p/6Id4dQr2DP/

Great to be Rory's mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So he played four rounds in four days last week and reckons he's up for it this week. He's bound to be rusty, but won't be tired. It'll be interesting to see how he goes.

vienne86 wrote: »
    So he played four rounds in four days last week and reckons he's up for it this week. He's bound to be rusty, but won't be tired. It'll be interesting to see how he goes.

Apparently was chipping and putting from the start:
    “But I've been chipping and putting since basically this happened. I was putting in the boot. So I've kept that part of the game sharp. So everything feels pretty good.”

“It actually feels better when I go at it as hard as I want, because my left foot sort of spins out of the way whenever I hit the driver anyway, So it's more if my left foot was to stay sort of completely flat, like roll on to the left side like a lot of guys do, then it would obviously probably create a few problems. Because mine sort of spins out of the way, it takes a lot of pressure off it.”

He's played two and a half rounds in Whistling Straits so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

He played a few rounds in Portugal last week, shot a 66 and 68 I think it was. He was most likely in a buggy though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Where's all this info coming from?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

How many practice rounds are they allowed play before a major? (on the major course obviously)

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    He played a few rounds in Portugal last week, shot a 66 and 68 I think it was. He was most likely in a buggy though

Not according to the Indo today:
    "I played 72 holes walking in Portugal last week and played pretty good. I kept score there as well, so everything feels good. It's just that sharpness and that competitive edge, that's the thing you hope is there when you come back,"

With Shane in the form he is at the moment, Padraig showing signs of a return to form and McIlroy fit and raring to go, we certainly have a lot to keep us watching this weekend.

rrpc wrote: »
    Not according to the Indo today:

With Shane in the form he is at the moment, Padraig showing signs of a return to form and McIlroy fit and raring to go, we certainly have a lot to keep us watching this weekend.

I was guessing about the buggy, never asked, but I just presumed as I know they do get buggys a lot of the time when they are out practising.

great to hear that he walked it. I would imagine that was the real test for him.

Would he not be better off playing the wyndham rather than playing with celebrities!

Also who is the secret your pro?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Would he not be better off playing the wyndham rather than playing with celebrities!

No, he wouldn't. He has a hectic few weeks coming for the FedEx Cup. Massive tournaments with massive money.

I think you'll find he was playing with friends rather than celebrities

those friends just happen to be celebs :)

No, he wouldn't. He has a hectic few weeks coming for the FedEx Cup. Massive tournaments with massive money.

Well he's played very little over the last few months. He tends to get better the more he plays and as he said himself last week that he was rusty because he hadn't played much!

Aye seve.... Friends with benefits ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He (or it) is a twitter account that's been running since April and which purports to be from a tour professional.

Seems to be genuine and is causing great interest in who it might be.

Well he's played very little over the last few months. He tends to get better the more he plays and as he said himself last week that he was rusty because he hadn't played much!

Aye seve.... Friends with benefits ;)

Well in my opinion it would be better for him the play the 1st of 4 events for the FedEx cup at The Barclays but he has said he is going to skip this event. Apparently he wants a few weeks off to "reassess everything".

Well in my opinion it would be better for him the play the 1st of 4 events for the FedEx cup at The Barclays but he has said he is going to skip this event. Apparently he wants a few weeks off to "reassess everything".

he was always going to skip it

reason being it it to much playing every week so saving himself for the last few

if you recall, 2012 he won the first 2 events in the playoffs, but they really count for nothing as the points all get jigged around again before the last one

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    he was always going to skip it

reason being it it to much playing every week so saving himself for the last few

if you recall, 2012 he won the first 2 events in the playoffs, but they really count for nothing as the points all get jigged around again before the last one

I agree with the way he normally does it, because as you say yourself the points are re-adjusted for the final event.

But with the injury break it could be an idea to play the first event to get more "game time" considering there is a weeks break between the first 2 legs and the last 2 of the FedEx. That said.... he knows what he is doing :D

I agree with the way he normally does it, because as you say yourself the points are re-adjusted for the final event.

But with the injury break it could be an idea to play the first event to get more "game time" considering there is a weeks break between the first 2 legs and the last 2 of the FedEx. That said.... he knows what he is doing :D

He's still recovering from a pretty serious injury. He still has it strapped up, so it's not fully recovered yet. Another two weeks rest (including a spot of golf with his mates) should see further improvement.

Back number one! Turns out playing with celebrities can get him back to the top :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Back number one! Turns out playing with celebrities can get him back to the top :)

I love this nip and tuck at the top of the rankings.

Wonder would it be the same result for lesser players...

"Tour make exception for McIlroy and his "potentially serious and significant injury"

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Hes World No1, and the leading light in golf globally.

So the answer to your question is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

I don't have an issue with this. He's top of the RTDubai and without him there will be less money for all the other pros.

I think it would be very churlish of the tour NOT to give him this - he is world number 1 and number one on the RTD.

Maybe Monday golf suits him but McIlroy is 6 under after 11 holes today. Birdied the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 9th and 11th. Two of those birdie putts were 20ft and 26ft.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Maybe Monday golf suits him but McIlroy is 6 under after 11 holes today. Birdied the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 9th and 11th. Two of those birdie putts were 20ft and 26ft.

It will be good if he can finish on a high before the final 2 FedEx events, build some momentum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement