Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** Announcement - New Online TV Forum **

• 29-01-2015 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭

A new forum has been set up for discussing online TV services (Netflix etc.) and their TV shows.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1649

Rules about bypassing geo-restrictions to view content from services not available in Ireland will be strictly enforced. However, discussion of the shows on these services is fair game (you just won't find out how to do it on the new forum).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Mr E wrote: »
    A new forum has been set up for discussing online TV services (Netflix etc.) and their TV shows.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1649

can I ask why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

can I ask why?

There's a forum request forum and it was requested, got enough plus ones to get go ahead I reckon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

can I ask why?

The nature of online shows and the way they're released all at once makes dingle threads unusable as anyone following the series is likely to spoil it for themselves unwittingly. Such shows are not big enough to warrant their own forums and a thread per episode on the main forum would be messy and difficult to navigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what's a dingle thread?

ZAK_DINGLE_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but as someone who visits this forum many times every day I never noticed this new forum until today for some reason. Just had a scan through it and what a waste of a forum. It is a massive overlap with this forum. Same things being discussed on both place...tv shows. Who cares how I watch them. Hell I don't watch shows on the television anymore but they are still tv shows. Is the Films forum split into cinema, blu-ray, vhs and online? No coz it's silly. Even really busy forums like Soccer don't have this kind of random split.

Are we allowed discuss shows on Netflix in the main forum? it seems a very arbitrary spilt for no apparent reason.

At very least it should be a sub-forum of the main television forum to make it more obvious.

Again, sorry if this is not the right place for this kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Yeah just putting [Netflix], [Amazon] etc in a thread title within the television or film main forums would have sufficed. Does seem like a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Yeah, I agree, it's a failure of a forum. Also, mods you still haven't moved the Sense8 (Netflix) thread to the "Online TV" forum, even after I posted about it in that thread.

Furthermore, "Online TV" is oxymoronic. It makes Boards.ie look quite foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

In fairness, there was a thread running in Forum Requests for about six months where these issues were discussed.

It might take a while to get momentum but I think it is a good move. Programmes like House of Cards where every episode are released at once are easier to discuss in a forum where you can have more than one thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think it's too early to judge it overall. It's probably still in the settling in phase. There's a bunch of new Netflix shows still in the pipeline for this year, so we'll see. However, I was half expecting the House of Cards split off into individual episodes, and it hasn't, bar 3.01. Maybe it's too binge friendly for people to bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

I think it's too early to judge it overall. It's probably still in the settling in phase. There's a bunch of new Netflix shows still in the pipeline for this year, so we'll see. However, I was half expecting the House of Cards split off into individual episodes, and it hasn't, bar 3.01. Maybe it's too binge friendly for people to bother.

I treat Netflix seasons like one really long episode in that I will watch it right through and then post about it. I'm halfway through House of Cards but I've nothing to post about until I have watched the season right through and give an overall impression of it. Maybe others are similar.

But yeah as you and others have pointed out, it's only new. I guess it should be treated differently to the normal television/film forums

• Advertisement
Advertisement