Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Mondeo Reversing Lights not working

• 03-03-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I have a 2011 mondeo Titatium but the reversing light wont work and I have a referal on the NCT as a result.
    I have just got a quote of €2554.95 from the Ford Main dealer to repair as they say the BCMII (the brain is not sending power to the lights). Everything else works perfectly on the car.
    Any one got any ideas as €2.5K to fix reversing lights seems Mad!!.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I would get another garages opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Jaysuz, Presumably they've ruled out any problem with the reversing switch in the gearbox or a wiring harness. If you had to, you might be able to rewire the reversing lights directly to the reversing switch to avoid that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 red apple

Thanks Guys

Its a strange one as the reversing sensors are working fine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Jaysuz, Presumably they've ruled out any problem with the reversing switch in the gearbox or a wiring harness. If you had to, you might be able to rewire the reversing lights directly to the reversing switch to avoid that money.
    I'm sure something could be bodged up with transistors/relays if necessary - depending on the actual fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is the bulb blown?

• Advertisement

No the bulb is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Go to an auto electrician. Main dealers :pac:

Thanks Goz83

I am not sure what you mean as I have the car with a Ford Main dealer in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

red apple wrote: »
    Thanks Goz83

I am not sure what you mean as I have the car with a Ford Main dealer in Limerick.

Alot of the main dealers will only swap modules at huge cost whereas an auto electrician might trace the fault or alternatively if the module really is fecked, the lights could be rewired more direct to avoid the costly repair.
    That would be a botch but one I'd live with if 2.5k was at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

^ Agreed. Another garage (not a main dealer) may give a cheaper quote to fix it as it may not be a huge issue..
    .. If so, maybe a qualified electrician might be able to help? That is if the problem is only to do with the lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Reverse gear selection switch looks to be working, since the sensors work.

I would highly doubt that the BCM unit (is that brake control module in PAG terminology anyone) is actually broken if everything else works. Even a very competent auto electrical should be able to wire a permanent fix for far less than that, or even replace a damaged component in the control unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Thanks Goz83

Find a number for Roman on dock road in limerick . Meant to be brilliant for fixing things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks Goz83

What I meant, was that you should bring it to an auto electrician, who will properly diagnose/solve the issue. The main dealers are laughing at the thought of you considering paying 2.5k for what could end up being a loose wire.

Advertisement