Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Matches of 2015

• 04-01-2015 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

It's time for a new one of these and this mornings Wrestlekingdom started the year with a bang.

If anything tops Nakamura vs Ibushi it will be a great year and Okada vs Tanahashi was also really good too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

As usual Wrestlekingdom take match of the year in the first week!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wrestle Kingdom 9 (January 4th)

IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi

Unbelievably good way to kick off the thread for this year. Match had tonnes of charisma from both stars, the strong style was uber strong and the pace was unreal. Fantastic work. Check this bout out NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Motion118

I know we're only a couple of days into the new year but I just don't see anything topping Nakamura/Ibushi. Not even Okada/Tanahashi could do it, and that match was another classic between those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Some of you on here especially one person ;) might know Alan4l who's a irish fella who does podcasts about all sorts of wrestling on the Observer site and elsewhere,well every year he keeps track of every match he gave **** and above to on various Forums so i thought i might "Borrow" it :P.If your thinking about trying to watch other forms of wrestling this might help you if not hell it's a handy tool for me to use for match of the year lists in December,will update it every few weeks.

WWE:

NJPW
    Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi (1/4) *****
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada (1/4) ****3/4
    AJ Styles vs Tetsuya Naito (1/4) ****

AJPW:
    Joe Doering vs. Go Shiozaki (1/3) ****1/4

NOAH:

BJW:

DDT:

Lucha:

Random other Puro promotions:

American Indies:

Misc:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I can't see anything topping Ibushi vs Nakamura this year either.

Watching it again as we speak

• Advertisement

Not a match of the year but really great none the less,Casas is 55 and wrestles like he's at least 20 years younger.

I'm really starting to get into Lucha now and i'm pretty sure if you haven't liked it in the past you'd at least enjoy this match.

Máscara Dorada vs Negro Casas CMLL World Welterweight Championship,January 2nd 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I can't see anything topping Ibushi vs Nakamura this year either.

Watching it again as we speak

If anything does then we are the winners

Updating this going to include links to the matches when possible too.

WWE:
    Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville (1/14) ****

NJPW

AJPW:

NOAH:
    Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka vs. Mikey
    Nicholls & Shane Haste
    (1/10) ****1/2

BJW:

DDT:

Lucha:
    Máscara Dorada vs Negro Casas (1/6) (CMLL) ****1/4
    Flamita & Hijo de Fishman & Skyman vs Fénix & Pentagón jr & Hijo del Fantasma Part One Part Two (1/1) (Cara Lucha) ****1/4
    2015 Pequenos Reyes del Air (Minis Elimination Match) (1/6) (CMLL) ****
    Negro Casas vs Maximo (1/11) (CMLL) ****

American Indies:

Misc:
    Aztec Warfare Rumble (1/7) (LU) ****1/4
    Prince Puma vs Fénix (1/14) (LU) ****

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Brock v Cena v Rollins for the WWE title at the Rumble.

Great WWE style match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I second this. Brock Lesnar was amazing last night, as were the other 2 guys. I really would be hopeful about what sort of match he can do with Roman Reigns at WrestleMania. Let's be positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,808 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I second this. Brock Lesnar was amazing last night, as were the other 2 guys. I really would be hopeful about what sort of match he can do with Roman Reigns at WrestleMania. Let's be positive.

Oh I'm positive. As long as it's him that wins and Rollins cashes in on him

I'm with you on that. I won't be impressed if Lesnar loses his title via cash-in, save it for Reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Updating this going to include links to the matches when possible too.

WWE:

Needs

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena vs Seth Rollins (25/Jan)

Omackeral wrote: »
    Needs

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena vs Seth Rollins (25/Jan)

Going to watch more recent Japanese and Lucha stuff before I update it again but that will be on there without a doubt.

Match of the month!

Updated

WWE:
    Brock Lesnar vs John Cena vs Seth Rollins (1/25) ****1/2
    Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins (2/2) ****1/4

NJPW
    Cavernario vs. Rey Cometa (1/19) ****

AJPW:

NOAH:
    Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka vs. Mikey
    Nicholls & Shane Haste
    (1/10) ****1/2

BJW:
    Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Shuji Ishikawa & Kohei Sato (1/2) ****

DDT:

Lucha:
    Máscara Dorada vs Negro Casas (1/6) (CMLL) ****1/4
    Flamita & Hijo de Fishman & Skyman vs Fénix & Pentagón jr & Hijo del Fantasma Part One Part Two (1/1) (Cara Lucha) ****1/4
    2015 Pequenos Reyes del Air (Minis Elimination Match) (1/6) (CMLL) ****
    Negro Casas vs Maximo (1/11) (CMLL) ****
    Virus vs Star Jr. (1/17) (CMLL) ****

American Indies:

Misc:
    Aztec Warfare Rumble (1/7) (LU) ****1/4
    Prince Puma vs Fénix (1/14) (LU) ****

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Surprised to have heard nothing from ROH yet this year, usually they produce three or four worthwhile matches a month.

A few matches on Johnny's list that I have yet to watch for various reasons but so far my list is a lot more.... condensed.

I also don't do star ratings so this is in chronological order instead. Also don't do links but the TNA matches are all on YouTube while the NJPW matches are on DailyMotion.

NJPW
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - 1/4
    Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi - 1/4
    AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito - 1/4
    Togi Makabe & Yuji Nagata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii - 2/1
    Young Bucks & Kenny Omega vs. Time Splitters & Ryusuke Taguchi - 2/1

TNA
    The Wolves vs. The Hardy's - 1/16
    Abyss vs. Jeff Hardy - 1/30
    Madison Rayne vs. Gail Kim vs. Taryn Terrell - 1/30

Star ratings really aren't worth a crap for any subject, in my opinion. What is 2 stars to me could easily be three stars to someone else. However, as it happens, I agree with most of the matches that I have seen on this thread being listed and I am always glad to see the selections. But it can be very difficult to accept ratings based on one reviewer watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I think star ratings are useful mostly to act as a guideline. They serve as a filter of sorts. An indication of a match that you might really enjoy, or at the very least is worth checking out. I don't think many would put any real stock in thinking their star ratings are a definitive ranking of a match beyond reproach.

Exactly MF I use it just as a reference for later on really I've a pretty ****e memory so it helps me when I go back and want to rewatch stuff more then anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yeah I don't really the objection. Beats people calling every good match under the sun "great" and such like. It is also JUST a reference as others have said.

Personally have always followed/attempted to keep with/benchmarked against Alan4L's ratings. Will never see what he sees in Dragon Gate but in terms of everything else were are pretty like minded. Also I know SO many Wrestlers who value Alan's ratings and opinions. Alan has been around online for so long now that wrestlers who dug him back in the day are now big names in WWE, NXT, New Japan and on the Indies. He really guy has his finger on the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Not to be a d1ck or anything BohsJohnny cause you are doing a really cool job updating the thread and stuff but most wrestling journalists scored the triple threat ****3/4. Just so ya know!

Star rating system is definately useful

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Not to be a d1ck or anything BohsJohnny cause you are doing a really cool job updating the thread and stuff but most wrestling journalists scored the triple threat ****3/4. Just so ya know!

They're my ratings no one else's,there's nothing between the two ratings really still loved the match.

That's been the best match so far this year I think. I really hope Lesnar can perform at WrestleMania.

That's been the best match so far this year I think. I really hope Lesnar can perform at WrestleMania.

Best WWE Match maybe - You need to see WrestleKingdom 9!

Trade me a tape. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Really enjoying Lucha Underground.

They have managed to out some really good matches together and make themselves stand out with the whole production style.

The Aztec Warfare match is really worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

DM_7 wrote: »
    Really enjoying Lucha Underground.

They have managed to out some really good matches together and make themselves stand out with the whole production style.

The Aztec Warfare match is really worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Loved that match. So well booked. Just a masterclass of an episode

Besides the commentary and the crowd. Another issue with the Balor and Itami that took it down was two ad breaks in the middle of the match. What I love about in general is that LU can pace their ad breaks so they occur between in matches not during them. It helps SO much enjoyment and immersion wise. With WWE you are waiting for someone missing a dive or being thrown out of the ring.

• Advertisement

For sure. I have always found it frustrating as long as I've watched the WWF/E that they cut to a break during a match. It was something that made me really question the authenticity of it as a legitimate sport at a very young age (probably about 7 years old or so). So what is Lucha Underground's distribution like, do they upload their shows onto the net?

Advertisement