Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

yipeeeee wrote: »
    It's just a bad choice to have it in Dublin.
    Bernard Dunne just keeps going through my head.

Bernand Dunne won a World Title in Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It's just a bad choice to have it in Dublin.
    Bernard Dunne just keeps going through my head.

You mean when Bernard Dunne topped off possibly the greatest single day ever in Irish sporting history? By beating a quality fighter in a world title fight that was considered by many to be the best fight of that year? At home in front of a crowd of real Irish boxing fans?

Is that why Bernard Dunne keeps going through your head? Because I one for one hope that Conor McGregor is as successful as Bernard Dunne when it comes to his turn to welcoming a visiting champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

scudzilla wrote: »
    It's worked countless times at Wembley for 70-80k sell outs for boxing, never a problem, would be the same set up here, sure the hill would be great craic for it , it has a capacity of 10,000 standing!!

boxing_zps4cf46397.jpg

Absolutely miles away though, with the pitch size in CP from any of the tiers your basically watching the screens. Nosebleeds and forget it. Just have to hope the atmosphere makes up for the gigantic distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

John_D80 wrote: »
    You mean when Bernard Dunne topped off possibly the greatest single day ever in Irish sporting history? By beating a quality fighter in a world title fight that was considered by many to be the best fight of that year? At home in front of a crowd of real Irish boxing fans?

Is that why Bernard Dunne keeps going through your head? Because I one for one hope that Conor McGregor is as successful as Bernard Dunne when it comes to his turn to welcoming a visiting champion.

Sorry I'm thinking when he got knocked out after 20 seconds.

I want Conor to do it just as much as anyone else.

I think he has a good chance if he is the underdog with no home crowd pressure.

I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Read that Aldo Q&A, he says McGregor never fought top five... Poirier?

mcgregor-poirier-ufc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That was a great night!

Sorry I'm thinking when he got knocked out after 20 seconds.

Never happened. Unless your referring to his loss to Martinez which was about 90 seconds, if memory serves.

But by all means do focus on what was basically a blip in an amazing career. And forget all about the fact that the man basically lifted the spirits of an entire nation.

Like I said, Conor would do amazingly well to replicate Bernard Dunnes success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Never happened. Unless your referring to his loss to Martinez which was about 90 seconds, if memory serves.

But by all means do focus on what was basically a blip in an amazing career. And forget all about the fact that the man basically lifted the spirits of an entire nation.

Like I said, Conor would do amazingly well to replicate Bernard Dunnes success.

Hold on, you're totally taking this the wrong way.

I am not slating Bernard at all, I am just talking about the pressure and hype that comes with fighting in your own town.

It's only my opinion, Chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Saipanne wrote: »
    Read that Aldo Q&A, he says McGregor never fought top five... Poirier?

mcgregor-poirier-ufc.jpg
    Well he right tbf. Porrier was never in the top 5, he was #5 in the rankings which is actually the 6th person on the list as the champ sits above them all.

So, the Top 3 in a division are the champ, #1 ranked fighter, and the #2 fighter, etc.

Hold on, you're totally taking this the wrong way.

I am not slating Bernard at all, I am just talking about the pressure and hype that comes with fighting in your own town.

It's only my opinion, Chill out.

Totally chilled out here pal. You said that you thought it was a bad idea to have a title fight in Dublin and in the next sentence said that you keep being reminded of Beenard Dunne.

The logical conclusion being that you see this as a bad thing. Was merely pointing out that when it came to the pressure of a hometown title shot, Bernard Dunne answered the call and fought out of his skin and left nothing in the ring that night.

Don't see how Bernard Dunne even comes into an analogy about pressure and hype of a big fight. Why bring him up at all if you think Aldo/Mcgregor should not happen in Dublin? If anything he is a prime example of why it SHOULD happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Totally chilled out here pal. You said that you thought it was a bad idea to have a title fight in Dublin and in the next sentence said that you keep being reminded of Beenard Dunne.

The logical conclusion being that you see this as a bad thing. Was merely pointing out that when it came to the pressure of a hometown title shot, Bernard Dunne answered the call and fought out of his skin and left nothing in the ring that night.

Don't see how Bernard Dunne even comes into an analogy about pressure and hype of a big fight. Why bring him up at all if you think Aldo/Mcgregor should not happen in Dublin? If anything he is a prime example of why it SHOULD happen here.

I think you're overreacting a bit . He already admitted to have gotten the night Bernard won mixed up with the night he got knocked out by Kiko. That would explain his worry over the possibility of Conor fighting here.

Hoki wrote: »
    He already admitted to have gotten the night Bernard won mixed up with the night he got knocked out by Kiko.

He did?

By my reading of his posts, he basically disregarded the fact that Bernard Dunne won an oustanding world title fight in Dublin and instead chose to bring up the one speed-bump of his pro career, to back up his opinion that the McGregor/Aldo fight should not happen in Ireland.

How can you possibly mix up a world title winning fight of the year with a first round knockout loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

He did?

By my reading of his posts, he basically disregarded the fact that Bernard Dunne won an oustanding world title fight in Dublin and instead chose to bring up the one speed-bump of his pro career, to back up his opinion that the McGregor/Aldo fight should not happen in Ireland.

How can you possibly mix up a world title winning fight of the year with a first round knockout loss?

You quoted him 5 posts up where he said he got them mixed up. I think what he was trying to say is that he has a bad feeling about a home fight based on what he thought happened to dunne (which he's admitted to getting mixed up ) I didn't see him disregard Dunne winning a title fight, you're coming across as being extremely defensive of Dunne here when I really don't think there is a need to be.

Hoki wrote: »
    You quoted him 5 posts up where he said he got them mixed up. I think what he was trying to say is that he has a bad feeling about a home fight based on what he thought happened to dunne (which he's admitted to getting mixed up ) I didn't see him disregard Dunne winning a title fight, you're coming across as being extremely defensive of Dunne here when I really don't think there is a need to be.

Just to clarify, seeing as you're basically putting words in his mouth, he never once said he got them mixed up or confused between two fights mate. He said he was "thinking" of the time that Bernard Dunne got knocked out in 20 seconds and that's why Bernard Dunne was going through his head when he didn't feel that the Aldo McGregor fight should happen here. That doesn't sound like getting them mixed up to me.

Sounds to me like he focused on one bad night for a good fighter when he should be holding Bernard Dunne up as an example of why the fight should happen here.

It might be possible to confuse two fights with similar outcomes but there's no way on earth anyone could confuse either of those two of Dunnes fights with the other. He basically either forgot or disregarded the fact that Bernard Dunne won a world title in Dublin.

http://balls.ie/media/conor-mcgregor-has-released-a-statement-regarding-his-absence-for-the-rte-sports-awards/

Sorry, not the best source for analytical content.

If he didn't get a nomination for sportsperson of the year, that's understandable to a point but I heard he was not even invited to attend. Major snub if this is true.

Well he is the lineal shooto champion.
    LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

http://balls.ie/media/conor-mcgregor-has-released-a-statement-regarding-his-absence-for-the-rte-sports-awards/

Sorry, not the best source for analytical content.

If he didn't get a nomination for sportsperson of the year, that's understandable to a point but I heard he was not even invited to attend. Major snub if this is true.

He won two fights in a niche sport, one against an unranked opponent. He didn't really do much to warrant any sort of bad feeling that he wasn't nominated to be honest.

Catch ‘UFC Fight Night Boston: McGregor – Vs – Who gives a **** we are still watching.’

Hahaha

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He won two fights in a niche sport, one against an unranked opponent. He didn't really do much to warrant any sort of bad feeling that he wasn't nominated to be honest.

Yeah which is basically what I was getting at. I was more surprised really at the rumor that he wasn't even invited. Bad form on behalf of RTE considering their recent collaboration if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm sure Conor took some time off training to console himself over this nasty RTE snub.

718.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah which is basically what I was getting at. I was more surprised really at the rumor that he wasn't even invited. Bad form on behalf of RTE considering their recent collaboration if it's true.

Considering his mention of being paid and preferring cash over credit I doubt he would have went even if he was invited. Had they paid for him to make an appearance it might have been a different case. Either way I doubt hes losing any sleep over it.

Axwell wrote: »
    Considering his mention of being paid and preferring cash over credit I doubt he would have went even if he was invited. Had they paid for him to make an appearance it might have been a different case. Either way I doubt hes losing any sleep over it.

I wouldn't expect him to be in the slightest bit bothered. Surely though it's bad form out of RTE to not even invite him when they're happy to make money and get ratings off the back of his success.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why is it? He clearly would only turn up if they paid him to go. Why would they invite him if thats the case, to pay him to sit there with plenty of other sports professionals who are glad to be a part of the awards and not expect a handout. He is talking about Sport, the original sport and all this other nonsense which pretty much demeans anyone else at the awards and comes across like his only interest in sport is for money with his comments.

RTE making money off the back of his success? Im sure he got paid for his visits on to the Late Late Show and I am sure he got paid for the rights to show this tv series so I think if anyone should be happy with the money being made its Conor McGregor not RTE. Whatever about him as a fighter and his ability inside the cage outside of it his ego seems to be getting bigger and bigger and stuff like this just makes him come across a bit of a twat imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I have to say, McGregor is coming across very smug these days. And the stories i've been hearing from outside the cage (ie how him and his friends carry themselves on nights out) is less than endearing.

Putinovsky wrote: »
    I have to say, McGregor is coming across very smug these days. And the stories i've been hearing from outside the cage (ie how him and his friends carry themselves on nights out) is less than endearing.

What happens on nights out?

I always thought the showboating was just an act to wind up opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It will be very intresting to see how he acts after his first loss in the UFC,
    Things could change very quickly if he drops 2 in a row,
    Very unclassy for a guy whos basically been around for a year to be talking crap about the RTE awards when seasoned pro's from main stream sports turn out every year for free,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen him once in Lillies and even thought he had a few beers he seemed sound and a decent normal bloke,
    Heard a few stories from Taxi drivers but personally wouldn't believe them as there second hand stories ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

From reading Conor's comments, I took it as he was happy enough to be getting paid by RTE and a snub was water off a ducks back for him. Rather than him feeling above the awards or having a go, he was indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Putinovsky wrote: »
    WHAT STORIES?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I'm not going to start dishing out stories on a public forum. I've just heard a few first hand negative experiences involving McGregor and his mates on nights out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement