Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Somebody researched what?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Post here any strange studies you have heard of
    A few years back researchers at Washington State University had been funded ($75,000 USD per year for 2 years) to study belching cows. Apparently there was some concern about the emissions that occurred when cows belched. If such emissions were important, it makes you wonder why they did not also study the emissions emitted from the other end of the cow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Black Swan wrote: »
    A few years back researchers at Washington State University had been funded ($75,000 USD per year for 2 years) to study belching cows. Apparently there was some concern about the emissions that occurred when cows belched. If such emissions were important, it makes you wonder why they did not also study the emissions emitted from the other end of the cow?
    Nobody wanted to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nobody wanted to?

It would seem that you would want to measure all the emissions from cows (methane, etc.) rather than using a special device to measure just belching? Then again I can just imagine a multi-method approach (both quantitative and qualitative) that measures the emissions from the other end of the cow. The quality of such emissions, contrasting different types of feeds, breeds, etc.?

After the research design, instrumentation, data collection, analysis, and results the really big question about cow belching is "So what?"

• Advertisement

Are there really 50 million cows emitting methane from both ends in Argentina? Now there's a "So what!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Where I did my PhD there were people using those jet packs to monitor methane emissions based on different foods etc. They looked crazy :)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Where I did my PhD there were people using those jet packs to monitor methane emissions based on different foods etc. They looked crazy :)

people seriously study cow farts? I am amazed at the things people will try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

people seriously study cow farts? I am amazed at the things people will try

Why are you amazed? Methane is classed as a greenhouse gas, so it's only right that its sources be researched. The cows will belch and fart anyway, but at least you'll know if it's significant!

The bottom line is that lots of high-level research has already been done in most areas, so any novelty is in the detailed fields.

Go read through the bug list I posted up. Somebody figured out spiders do not like the taste of human urine

• Advertisement
Advertisement