Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terribly dissatisfied with eircom right now.

Options
  • 21-12-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Right, here's the story...

I signed up to eircom maybe 12 or 13 months ago, and i was one of the customers whose first 4 (?) direct debits weren't taken from my bank account, sepote me having been notified of the cost and received the bills. So i ended up owing eircom in the region of €150.00. I'm currently not working, and had made contact with eircom to tell them this, and the guy i was speaking to understood and accepted the situation and agreed that i attempt to maintain the bill payments in addition to getting the outstanding balance reduced. 

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago and i get a letter saying that my service may be interrupted if i do not make contact with a view to getting the remaioning balance down to zero. During the course of the conversation I had on this date, I offered to make weekly payments of €25 until such time as the balance was reduced to zero. This was accepted and I left the call happy with a solution that was in place.

My broadband and phone services was interrupted on December 8th, when I rang to see why, I was told that my services had been suspended. This was despite the deal agreed in the previous phone call. 
    I made a €50 payment, and the lady I was speaking to in Credit Management reconnected my calls and broadband.

The following day (the 9th), I got a letter dated the 4th, saying that my services will be suspended on the 10th if i do not make contact immediately. Despite the phone call of a few days earlier...

So my ability to make phone calls are back in a matter of minutes, and my broadband returns in 4 or 5 hours or so and Al's happy again... It didn't last however.

I lost broadband connectivity again the following day, and i rang again, and logged a fault with the system. I called the following day only to be told that it was "probably storm damage" by a most unhelpful agent. She said I had to wait for an engineer to call....

So an engineer rang me off a mobile on Friday morning, the 12th, and when i explain whats happened he tells me that the lady in Credit Management made an error when reactivating my services and didnt set it up as a Broadband account, only doing it as a PSTN (phone only) account.

So my next call (again) was to Eircom customer care - explained what the engineer had told me, and the rep that answered the call was obviously in a horrible position, realising that eircom had messed up, but couldn't say as much. What kinda got me annoyed was the fact that I was told during the course of this call that it was going to take 5 working days because my broadband had to be re-ordered.

But it doesn't end there - the rep (Jason) that I was speaking with put me on hold for a couple of minutes only to come back on the phone to me to say that it was now going to take TEN working days to reestablish my connection, as someone had "taken over my port in the exchange" - Jason apologised profusely and I compliment him on his clarity in explaining what had actually happened. 

Bottom line is now that I am looking at Christmas without an internet connection. I am using the data connection on my phone at the minute to connect the laptop. Far from ideal.

So as a result of this, I wonder if the following questions can be answered.
    ______

1. Why was my account not re-established correctly by rep in Credit Management?

2. Why did I have Broadband for a short time after the call to Credit Management if it was only set up as a PSTN account?

3. Why did the very unhelpful lady in faults fob me off by telling me that my problem was "probably storm damage"?

4. Why should it take 5 working days to re-order my broadband when I had been a customer for 12 months?

5. Is taking over my port a manual task, as in pulling a cable out at exchange? And if so why in God's name would someone do that?

6. Does Eircom think it's acceptable that I was left without a service for days and weeks?

7. Considering the fault with me losing service was Eircom's, why were all the stops not pulled out to get it back up?

8. Why was the letter of the 4th sent at all, when I had already made contact and arranged a payment plan with Eircom?

9. Why was service withdrawn on the 8th, despite the letter (which i hadn't received yet) saying it should have been the 10th?

10. When am I going to have my internet connection fixed?

_____

And I'm not into having all of this done via PM by the way, so the answers to the above questions can be posted on thread, as I'm sure other posters may have an interest in them too. I'll gladly provide account details etc via PM.

Thank you, 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TonyGately

Good luck with them Alan,  please make sure you get them to clarify if your "new"  connection ties you in to a new 12 month or worse an 18 month contract.  
    If you think I am joking trust me I am not,  about 16 months ago our router stopped working and was told it was because it was an original model that was no longer compatible due to upgrades in their exchange... Grand I said send me a new one to allow me to continue using a service I was paying for... 
    Wait for it.. Here come an Eircom classic.... 
    I was asked how I would like to pay for the new router that was required in order for me to get a service that I was paying monthly for that no longer worked due to THEIR upgrades... 
    They wanted somewhere around the €90 mark or I could have it free if I took out another contract. 
    EIRCOM... REALLY. 
    The sooner the better there is some competition to the pathetic Internet speeds that Eircom give us here the better.
    Rant over... God my blood boils even hearing the name Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hello Al Capwned

I am genuinely sorry to hear of this experience, please do feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I will look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Done Alan Thanks

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Done Alan Thanks
    Thanks for the details Al Capwned

I am awaiting clarification from broadband operations and as soon as I have more information I will let you know.

I can see that the order for broadband is placed but is queued at present - I have noted your urgency and apologise for the inconvenience this has caused especially in light of the time of year that it is.

As soon as I have more information I'll let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

Really frustrated that I haven't heard anything further on this...

I mean how long does it take for broadband operations to clarify something... And I'd be interested to see what Eircom consider as a working day over the Christmas period. It's unfortunate that our needs for your service don't cease on a weekend or a public holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Really frustrated that I haven't heard anything further on this...

I mean how long does it take for broadband operations to clarify something... And I'd be interested to see what Eircom consider as a working day over the Christmas period. It's unfortunate that our needs for your service don't cease on a weekend or a public holiday.
    Hi Al
    apologies for delay. We have chased this again and will be back to you, though we are unlikely to have any update before Friday.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

My experience with Eircom was that I signed up to standard broadband for a year, the broadband speed was appalling and nowhere near what was advertised and I would have to pay a chunk of money to cancel be so the solution I was offered was efibre. This meant, however a mandatory 18 month contract. I went with this reluctantly as I felt I had no alternative but would never recommend Eircom to anyone I know. 

@ Tony.

There's a list of questions that I'd like your customer care team to answer.
    I would imagine that a lot of these answers could be posted without the need to contact broadband operations.
    Regards, Alan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given the way this customer has been treated the ensuing lack of urgency on anyone's part on the Eircom side is really dismaying.  Anyone can make a mistake and the bona fides of a company can be shown in how they make up for the mistake but this is truly appalling especially given that the customer seems to have been deliberately told lies as well.

Reading the op's initial post it is difficult to believe that anyone on the Eircom side actually had a clue as to what was going on could take charge of the situation to get something done quickly.

How could any independent person reading this thread get any indication that Eircom care in the slightest about their customers?

Dub45 - that's exactly my feelings on the subject - if someone had have taken charge of it, and even given me an indication as to what had happened (which i still dont really know) well I would have been a lot happier right now.

An answer to number 10 will do for a start, but I will insist on having all of questions in the OP answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Little fish

dub45 wrote: »
    Given the way this customer has been treated the ensuing lack of urgency on anyone's part on the Eircom side is really dismaying.  Anyone can make a mistake and the bona fides of a company can be shown in how they make up for the mistake but this is truly appalling especially given that the customer seems to have been deliberately told lies as well.

Reading the op's initial post it is difficult to believe that anyone on the Eircom side actually had a clue as to what was going on could take charge of the situation to get something done quickly.

How could any independent person reading this thread get any indication that Eircom care in the slightest about their customers?

You hit the nail on the head there Dub45, Eircom don't care in the slightest about their Customers. I feel physically ill every time I receive an email or letter from Eircom and I can feel my heart rate rising even before I have read their latest correspondence.

Hi Al
    apologies for delay. We have chased this again and will be back to you, though we are unlikely to have any update before Friday.
    Tony
    Before Friday I can (sort of) understand. It's Monday evening now. 9pm.

It's extremely frustrating not to know if anything is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Little fish

He never said which Friday !

Yet another day gone without any contact from Eircom. My patience is wearing thin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Yet another day gone without any contact from Eircom. My patience is wearing thin.....
    If they have a Facebook page post ALL of your OP on there. And be more persistent  on here. Post hourly. Over the past year I have had shocking customer relations problems with Vodafone, Garmin and to a lesser extent Eircom. The Vodafone and Garmin issues were effectively ignored until I went "after" them on Facebook! 

Hi Al Capwned

I am sorry for the delays in restoring your broadband, the delays have indeed extended well beyond the expected time-frame. The reason for the account/broadband not being resorted is due to technical issues at the exchange level in relation to the unavailability of reserved ports. I'll be unable to offer further details on the technical aspects beyond this however I can assure you that I will chase this up in requesting urgency in restoring the broadband.

You should not have been advised that this was created by storm Damage when you called- that is not the case and I would like to apologies for this. You have also asked if taking over your port is a manual task, as in pulling a cable out at exchange and I can clarify that it's not so directly physical/manual as that (although technicians will be required) however I'll be unable to go in to such infrastructural detail that could totally explain works required as it's simply not available to us.

It's certainly not acceptable that you have been left without service for so long - I can assure you this is not considered acceptable Al.

In relation to the payment plan you had agreed: I have looked in to the records on the agreed payment plans and there is no record of request to set up a payment plan before the 12th of December (after the broadband had been ceased on the 10th of December). I understand for from your above post that a payment plan of €25 per week was agreed and there should have been a record of this set up - apologies AL, this is also an area where I can fully understand your disappointment. I can see payments of €25 received on the 10th and 21st of November and then €31.39 received on the 5th of December but I don't see payments received on a weekly basis of €25.

As I touched on above, the broadband should be back active by now as advised on the 12th of December in light of agreements with eircom credit management. I would like to assure that I will chase this up for you and do all that is possible to have you back online as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Al

So in reality in spite of the customer being treated appallingly, including being deliberately lied to, Eircom have nothing concrete to say about the prospects of provision of service.

Again I ask why should anyone do business with a company that behaves in this manner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

So in reality in spite of the customer being treated appallingly, including being deliberately lied to, Eircom have nothing concrete to say about the prospects of provision of service.

Again I ask why should anyone do business with a company that behaves in this manner?
    Hi dub45, though this case should certainly have been handled more efficiently and better information offered,  there is no instance here of any eircom staff deliberately misleading or lying about cause of issue. Though Al has admitted that he is unable to offer specific timeframe on the technical resolution he is chasing this as a priority and this will be resolved.
    eircom do apologise for the delay in getting this resolved and will do all we can to sped this up.
    Tony

So if the op was not lied to where did the 'storm damage' reason come from?

And all you have offered to the customer is 'keep waiting!'

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dearg86

dub25, I think Eircom's policy is to keep the customer waiting.... I've been waiting for a resolution for my order since October 1st last year... and still they cannot provide me with an update or an expected completion date.... 

• Advertisement

Hi Al Capwned

I am sorry for the delays in restoring your broadband, the delays have indeed extended well beyond the expected time-frame. The reason for the account/broadband not being resorted is due to technical issues at the exchange level in relation to the unavailability of reserved ports. I'll be unable to offer further details on the technical aspects beyond this however I can assure you that I will chase this up in requesting urgency in restoring the broadband.

You should not have been advised that this was created by storm Damage when you called- that is not the case and I would like to apologies for this. You have also asked if taking over your port is a manual task, as in pulling a cable out at exchange and I can clarify that it's not so directly physical/manual as that (although technicians will be required) however I'll be unable to go in to such infrastructural detail that could totally explain works required as it's simply not available to us.

It's certainly not acceptable that you have been left without service for so long - I can assure you this is not considered acceptable Al.

In relation to the payment plan you had agreed: I have looked in to the records on the agreed payment plans and there is no record of request to set up a payment plan before the 12th of December (after the broadband had been ceased on the 10th of December). I understand for from your above post that a payment plan of €25 per week was agreed and there should have been a record of this set up - apologies AL, this is also an area where I can fully understand your disappointment. I can see payments of €25 received on the 10th and 21st of November and then €31.39 received on the 5th of December but I don't see payments received on a weekly basis of €25.

As I touched on above, the broadband should be back active by now as advised on the 12th of December in light of agreements with eircom credit management. I would like to assure that I will chase this up for you and do all that is possible to have you back online as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al, 
    I find it more than just a little coincidental that my broadband has been reconnected today after this message, though I am glad it is done. 

I want to address a couple of points you made. - i made contact with Eircom on receipt of the first letter, and arranged a €25 euro plan, with a view to reviewing it in a couple of weeks. I'm sure the recordings of my calls could verify this. The subsequent plan I made was for €30 a week, after an initial payment of €50, which was made by Visa Debit. I did not make any of the €30 payments, as I had no service at the time, and this was a decision I made at the time, with Christmas fast approaching. 

You apologise twice in your post, and while I do appreciate you and your colleagues replies, I can't fathom as to why it's taken a month to rectify. Why did it take this long? Straight question, straight answer please.

Considering the fact I was without broadband, and with 3 children getting various tablets, phones etc for Christmas, and indeed to maintain my internet connection, I rang your colleagues at eMobile to get data add on's on my mobile, allowing me to connect my laptop and the various other devices to the internet during the period I had no broadband. This was done so I wouldn't go over the allocated 5GB that is on my current mobile package and be charged huge prices. What will Eircom now do with both the outstanding bill, and the extra costs that I've incurred on my mobile as a result of maintaining connectivity at my home address?

Returning to my OP, I asked the following questions.
    1. Why was my account not re-established correctly by rep in Credit Management?
      Not answered

2. Why did I have Broadband for a short time after the call to Credit Management if it was only set up as a PSTN account?
       Not answered

3. Why did the very unhelpful lady in faults fob me off by telling me that my problem was "probably storm damage"?
       You've acknowledged that this shouldn't have happened, and thanks for that. But why did it happen?

4. Why should it take 5 working days to re-order my broadband when I had been a customer for 12 months?
       Not answered

5. Is taking over my port a manual task, as in pulling a cable out at exchange? And if so why in God's name would someone do that?
       Again part answered in that I now understand a technician had to make the decision to do it. But again, I'd like to understand why.

6. Does Eircom think it's acceptable that I was left without a service for days and weeks?
       Answered. Thank You.

7. Considering the fault with me losing service was Eircom's, why were all the stops not pulled out to get it back up?
       Not answered

8. Why was the letter of the 4th sent at all, when I had already made contact and arranged a payment plan with Eircom?
      Not answered

9. Why was service withdrawn on the 8th, despite the letter (which i hadn't received yet) saying it should have been the 10th?
      Not answered

10. When am I going to have my internet connection fixed?
       Rectified. Thank You.

____

I look forward to hearing again from you Alan.

Best regards, 
    Alan. 

Honestly lads, if this wasn't as serious, it'd actually be quite funny. I left it three hours or so to generate this post, as if I had posted immediately, I would have been apologising for what I said.

Not ten minutes after my previous post. I got the following email...... I laughed, before the frustration and anger set in.
    eircom-logo.jpg
    My eircom

Bill Notification

Dear Alan,
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Your bill amount is €snip.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Once you login to My eircom, you can view a PDF of your bill, your bill summary and the itemised details of your bill online.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]If you are set up for Direct Debit we will automatically take your payment. If not, you can set up Direct Debit within My eircom.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]You can also pay your bill securely & conveniently once you login.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]If you need help understanding your bill we have a full bill explanation available here.[/font]

Now I do accept that I do have a liability to Eircom, and that a bill should issue. 
    I freely admit that part of the total figure is the original figure that the weekly €30 payment plan would have sorted out by now.

What I don't accept however is the following section under the "Your Other Charges" section.

Other Charges
    Modem early cease charge 1 Jan 15   €41.14
    Reconnection fee 9 Dec 14    €19.05
    Broadband early cease charge 1 Jan 15 €87.94

I'd be interested in hearing how this happened also, though I can probably anticipate the "automatically generated by our systems" response.

I do intend on remaining an Eircom customer, probably mainly due to the fact that eFibre is coming to my area in the middle of 2015, but you guys really are not doing yourselves any favours in how this whole thing is being dealt with. 

I'm being completely honest and as transparent as I can be, and I'm sure you can agree that I have been more than patient. I'm hopeful of a satisfactory conclusion.

Does anyone in Eircom actually have a clue as to what is going on at any time?

Also I would be very concerned if Eircom regard that email as an advance notice under the direct debit scheme rules?

Does anyone in Eircom actually have a clue as to what is going on at any time?

Also I would be very concerned if Eircom regard that email as an advance notice under the direct debit scheme rules?
    To be fair dub45, the email is just a notification that my bill is available to view online. I've just copied the text from the email and the bill summary online. 

The direct debit setup is and has been the same as any other I've only set up.

As regards anyone having a clue, I really do hope so - I'd say the conclusion of this thread will probably answer that question for you. 

Under the dd scheme rules you are entitled to 14 days notice and the debit date - the email did not say when the amount would be debited.

The thread to date has answered my question:rolleyes:

Under the dd scheme rules you are entitled to 14 days notice and the debit date - the email did not say when the amount would be debited.

The email didnt no.
    But the PDF of the bill does.

I'm disappointed not to have had a reply to this today.

The email didnt no.
    The rules of the scheme require the company to "Notify" the customer and do not require the customer to go looking for the date or amount to be billed.

The email didnt no.
    The rules of the scheme require the company to "Notify" the customer and do not require the customer to go looking for the date or amount to be billed.
    tbh mate, I'm not too bothered about that at the minute. Bigger fish etc. :)

• Advertisement

I can imagine but other people read these threads too:

Advertisement