Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

thats like saying affirmative action is racist towards whites
    But it's nothing like that! We don't have a culture of sexism (unlike most of the countries that have affirmative action-they have a culture of racism) and quotas are always a bad idea. The best quota system I've seen is the recent government one where 30% of all election candidates (notice the word candidates and not dail seats) have to be of one gender (actual quote, it doesn't say 30% have to be female which is good as it's seen as gender neutral)

Am I saying NUI Galway doesn't have problems with the promotion of women? Of course not, cryonism is a massive issue in any 3rd-level institution but putting in gender quotas won't fix the problem, it will only make it worse. A person should get the job on their merits and not because there are quotas to fulfil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

thats like saying affirmative action is racist towards whites

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but I think it is. You're still not picking the
    best candidate you're filling a quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

h2005 wrote: »
    I'm going to get slaughtered for this but I think it is. You're still not picking the
    best candidate you're filling a quota.

Agreed. For unskilled jobs or positions where many skilled candidates are available, there is a justification for "quotas", but other than that the best person for the job should always get the position.

An employer has a responsibility to the company, and it's not the responsibility of the company to act as a tool for social justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Why is the bitch about daily life thread becoming a gender equality debate....thats what I'm gunna bitch about

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

I think MSS is looking for too much in this petition - with 5 women to be automatically promoted AND everyone who has appealed the last competition (some of whom are men incidentally) be promoted also It's also too rigid to say that if there are 66% of college lecturers then exactly 66% promoted to senior lecturer should be women. However that does not take away from the important case taken to the tribunal, the best candidates were ignored in that case were ignored it seems. From paragraph 24 of the Equal Officer's decision:

"• In this type of complaint, it is important to establish that a factor in the complainant not being promoted is because of the discriminatory ground rather than a personal dislike. Again I agree with the respondent that candidates choose referees who will give them a positive recommendation. In general the references were positive. However, none were as glowing as the references for the person (female) who came 26th out of 30. Her former Professor at a prestigious American University (It is ranked 174 in the World University rankings while NUIG is ranked 287) ‘I rank her as one of the best two or three best students – possibly the best – whom I have trained at [his University].’ Her internal referee who gave lukewarm references to other people stated ‘No doubt there will be applicants for promotion to SL who have strong claims arising from excellence in one or perhaps two of the key areas for assessment. But I would doubt very much if there are many other applicants whose excellence in performance has been as sustained and impressive as [Candidate 26] across all the areas research, teaching, service to the University and to the wider community under which these applications for promotion are to be assessed. I support her application for promotion warmly and without reservation.’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Lets get back to true form

Whats the deal with sockets in the library guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I don't expect the computer rooms to be silent but the noise from some people would make college bar sound like the library. Had to stop using the ones in the IT building. My friend is doing the same now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I don't expect the computer rooms to be silent but the noise from some people would make college bar sound like the library. Had to stop using the ones in the IT building. My friend is doing the same now.

People in the Engineering PC labs are a lot louder than the IT in my experience. They talk wildly out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Mr. G wrote: »
    People in the Engineering PC labs are a lot louder than the IT in my experience. They talk wildly out there.

It's the isolation of being so North of campus, has them all a bit mad, I reckon

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It's the isolation of being so North of campus, has them all a bit mad, I reckon

Explains Corrib Village then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

anyone know if the repeat exams for final year arts english are capped? barely slept all week due the mother of all ear infections but decided not to defer. probably should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

Are you allowed to defer the repeats in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

janet1989 wrote: »

Fairly sure you're only allowed to defer exams to August.

Doubt it :o - Unless you are seriously ill or something. Even then I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

You are allowed to defer August exams but you'll be deferring the year if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

You are allowed to defer August exams but you'll be deferring the year if you do.
    Are you only allowed to defer because of sickness or can you defer because you have to travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Are you only allowed to defer because of sickness or can you defer because you have to travel?

It would depend on the reason. Traveling to see your dying mother vs going on holiday for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Except for staff talking money, they're awful in the bialann. Especially subway.

Dean boycott or an bialann ! .:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The first official bitch of 2015 is dedicated to the Library Website, but somehow I doubt that its the first official bitch it ever received.

Its a frigging disaster of a site.

I just wasted over ten minutes trying to pay a €1 fine on the thing.

Handy that you can pay them online, but there is something ridiculous about having to do so when I'm sitting less than a dozen yards from the library desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I've an 8 cent fine on me. Not paying it

/thuglife

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I've an 8 cent fine on me. Not paying it

/thuglife

Same.

It happened me twice for returning the study room key 2 minutes late. First time, I went up to the service desk with a book that didn't read the chip and had the receipt and asked why I was fined too. She looked at it and rolled her eyes up saying that was ridiculous and cleared it off for me. It happened me again but I paid it as I didn't want to ask again...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Woo, it's not just me then :P

Anyone else having problems with Blackboard? I have 4 alerts but it says "Nothing requires your attention right now…
    Updates from the courses you are enrolled in will appear here.".

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Anyone else having problems with Blackboard? I have 4 alerts but it says "Nothing requires your attention right now…
    Updates from the courses you are enrolled in will appear here.".

Yeah it's been like that ever since the "upgrade".
    The mobile app still highlights anything that has changed, so I'm using that as a workaround.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I always forget how busy Smokies is the first few weeks of a semester. Just wait till it calms down again and it'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I always forget how busy Smokies is the first few weeks of a semester. Just wait till it calms down again and it'll be fine

Smokies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Long Gone wrote: »
    Smokies ?

What? They've changed the name?? :eek: It used to be Smokey Joe's back in the day... Then it became known as the awkward "Smokies" with dubious apostrophe - what have they changed it to now?

Ficheall wrote: »
    What? They've changed the name?? :eek: It used to be Smokey Joe's back in the day... Then it became known as the awkward "Smokies" with dubious apostrophe - what have they changed it to now?

Please tell me that the university hasn't made a grievous error. It should be Smokey's, shortened from Smokey Joes back when it was a little hut near the old engineering building and you could smoke inside.

Or so I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Relax. It's still called Smokey's (or at least it was up until Christmas, anyways).

Interesting fact re Smokey Joe's - I never knew that it used to be called that.

• Advertisement

So NUIG is open today. Oh well.

Advertisement