Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sharpening

Options
  • 19-12-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I am in a bit of a dilemma. After ordering a set of arrows for someone as a Christmas present, they arrived with tips that closely resemble a ball point. They are totally round; not at all like your standard practice tips. I asked the seller and they said they are designed for shooting at straw, something they neglected to mention in their listing, even going so far as including pics of standard practice tips.

My question is, is there a simple way to sharpen these to the same level as standard practice tips, or would anyone know of a place in Limerick that would do such a thing? It is far too close to Christmas to send them back, so this really seems like my only option. They need to be fit to fire at a foam butt at least.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

GodlessM wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I am in a bit of a dilemma. After ordering a set of arrows for someone as a Christmas present, they arrived with tips that closely resemble a ball point. They are totally round; not at all like your standard practice tips. I asked the seller and they said they are designed for shooting at straw, something they neglected to mention in their listing, even going so far as including pics of standard practice tips.

My question is, is there a simple way to sharpen these to the same level as standard practice tips, or would anyone know of a place in Limerick that would do such a thing? It is far too close to Christmas to send them back, so this really seems like my only option. They need to be fit to fire at a foam butt at least.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Any chance of a pic?

They could be removed and replaced with more suitable points. If ya spoke to one of the archery shops they might get them in the post for you Monday morning.
    Some of the lads in Limerick Yeomen might have points either. If you knew any of them.
    What shaft material are we dealing with?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Similar to GC's suggestion, if you can measure the outside diameter of the tips then you could ring archery shops to see if any of the multitude of points available would suit.

Alternative Sporting Services have a good selection of points.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

These seem to be fused on; not screw tops. Then again, there could be a trick to it, so worth a try. Carbon fibre shafts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

At this stage, I suggest you return them for refund if possible. Archery Supplies Ireland may have suitable arrows if you ring them.

They are in Ireland and may be able to get them out to you quickly.

00353 (0)87 240 6697 or email info@archeryshop.ie

Some other local shops/webshops are available here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I will take a look. Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

3D Archery Ireland was open last weekend and I think this weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday.
    3darcheryireland.com
    They have a Facebook page too with a mobile number on it.
    If you got talking to Stephen he might sort you out.

I know Shooting Style in Trim open on Saturday too. Paul is very helpful there.
    Link in post above.

Advertisement