Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road Tyre.. Anyone?

• 13-11-2014 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone using this tyre?

I've tried boards.ie search engine (pretty useless at the best of times) and found nothing on the 'Marathon Plus'.

I'm running Maxxis Detonator's atm, and since the weather has turned bad they're gone to sh*t in regards to grip and punctures (running them at 110psi and about 2000kms on them over the summer).

Mostly my cycling is commuting (30kms +/- per day).

I had Conti Gatorskins on my last bike but tbh at the moment I can't stretch my finances that far.

After my fifth puncture now in two weeks I've no confidence in the Maxxis and just want to dump them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

They use them on Dublin Bikes. Seem to be reliable. I have one on the front for my commute for the last couple of months.

EDIT: I have Marathon, I thought Marathon Plus was overkill for me.

I've had the same 35c marathon plus on the back of my commuter bike for about 3 years now and there's still life in it. Never had a puncture, have found huge shards of glass and nails /screws embedded in it on occasion. The weakness is the sidewalls. There's a few nasty gashes on the side of mine and I'd say it'll be a sidewall wound that will eventually kill it.

The downside is they are extremely heavy. The tyre on its own is the best part of a kilo!

Grip seems reasonable, but I never really cane it around corners in the wet on the commuter anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

They are the best I've used, but despite the label 'Unplattbar' they are not 100% un-flattable, I've had one puncture in the last two years on them (c. 280km/week, commute in/out of Dublin, all kinds of road conditions) and it was a serious shard of glass. They are reasonably grippy and work in the rain whilst still being hard wearing (mine are about due replacing after 2 yrs)

Review: http://road.cc/content/review/85284-schwalbe-marathon-plus-tyre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ballooba wrote: »
    They use them on Dublin Bikes.

I knew I'd seen the thread pattern before!.
    The downside is they are extremely heavy. The tyre on its own is the best part of a kilo!

Thats my only concern tbh. I've never had a 'heavy', apart from my early days when I'd use just about anything on old mountain bikes..

Would the weight be noticable riding the bike?.. I'd be considering going back to the Maxxis when training starts again in the spring/early summer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've tried boards.ie search engine (pretty useless at the best of times) and found nothing on the 'Marathon Plus'.

http://goo.gl/XkcYlD

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Cheers for that.. Damn I hate the search engine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm on my second set of 700X25C. They last about 10000km. The old set still had thread but the wire bead had corroded and was beginning to come away from the rubber. I blame winter road salt. You can still get punctures but it's generally about once a year. I've pulled tacks, nails, glass, thorns and part of a blade out of mine without having punctured.

They weigh a lot and grip can be bad in wet weather but you'll get used to it. You'll also find out if your tyre levers are any good. On the upside when you take out the good bike with nice light tyres you'll feel like you're flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

If you can hang on a while and stretch to Gatorskins you wont regret it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I have a pair. Best commuting tyre I've had. Zero punctures in almost a year on them. That's what's important for commuting. For me
    anyway.
    Thats through the glass strewn streets of dublin.
    Grip seems fine to me and I got rid of a set of gatorskins after 3 or 4 hairy moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tyre for pessimists. Guarantees every spin is miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I've been researching these all day! Got 2 punctures on two separate tyres and tubes last night and this morning. First was a Mavic tyre, second was a Michelin. I'm on my second set of Gatorskins (10,000km in last 12 months) and have had several punctures, despite running them on max PSI all the time.

I just picked up a set of Schwalbe Durano Plus this evening based on research and sound advice. I get the impression they're just as puncture proof as the Marathon plus, very similar technology.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I just picked up a set of Schwalbe Durano Plus this evening based on research and sound advice. I get the impression they're just as puncture proof as the Marathon plus, very similar technology.
    Sorry to say that hasn't been my experience with Durano+, while good, I've punctuerd them plenty (and I only have them on my summer bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

If you are commuting and dont want punctures, Marathon Plus are your man.
    I have had a pair for 4 years and still life in them. 1 puncture over 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

I use Marathon Plus for commuting in the winter. You'll find that you're a bit slower. You'll also find that you almost never puncture.

I switch to them because I suffer from (severe) cold hands that make changing a tube impossible at this time of year. I was of the impression that they were indestructible, but I punctured once last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I put over 20,000kms on a pair without puncturing. I put them into semi-retirement and will use for emergencies. They are visibly well worn and have numerous cuts including some very deep ones but they have never let me down. The main disadvantage is that they are heavy but they have a lot more grip than Gatorskins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just put some onto my commutter bike. Had well worn CX tyres as its a CX bike but they were recommended in terms of puncture resistance.

they're the 28s so not sure of the weight. And 35s on there so not sure what difference I'm to expect. I won't be able to go across fields and hop over bumps quite as well I expect but they should give me a good while

Thanks guy, you've all been very, very helpful.

I might actually put these on my bike hybrid and put the road bike away for the winter now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

rp wrote: »
    Sorry to say that hasn't been my experience with Durano+, while good, I've punctuerd them plenty (and I only have them on my summer bike)

I've about 8k on my current pair with no punctures, using the 25c version with 90/100psi front and back. Only time I've had to take one off is when a valve failed on one of my tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The weight was one of the reasons that I went for Marathon over Marathon plus. I was told that the Marathons are reasonably puncture resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have them on my road bike, which is essentially a commuter. Trying not to jinx myself, but so far so good for over a year. (I do carry spare tubes/ repair kit and cable ties should I have to try and get them on and off at the side of the road!). They've gone over glass and thorns where I had no choice - tyres or under a vehicle situations - and out the other side.

I haven't noticed grip issues really.

For me anyway, the weight of the tyre pales into insignificance compared to the weight of rider. I'm focusing on losing weight off me before worrying about tyres or any other components!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anyone using this tyre?

I'm running Maxxis Detonator's atm, and since the weather has turned bad they're gone to sh*t in regards to grip and punctures (running them at 110psi and about 2000kms on them over the summer).

Mostly my cycling is commuting (30kms +/- per day).

I had Conti Gatorskins on my last bike but tbh at the moment I can't stretch my finances that far.

After my fifth puncture now in two weeks I've no confidence in the Maxxis and just want to dump them.

I've had them on my wheelchair for 3 years and only one puncture! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Makikomi - you've jinxed me! I got a puncture today on a Gatorskin.

Went to get the bike I use for work etc with its brand new scwalbe marathon plus (2 wks) and the rear has a puncture.

I'm starting to think that bike is cursed

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Weepsie wrote: »
    Went to get the bike I use for work etc with its brand new scwalbe marathon plus (2 wks) and the rear has a puncture.

I'm starting to think that bike is cursed

Could be a valve. The tyres are pretty reliable.

PJD wrote: »
    Could be a valve. The tyres are pretty reliable.

I'll investigate later, though I'm told they're a nightmare to get off. I bought tubes for the other bike when I got the tires, neglected to et the appropriate ones for these

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I have the Marathon plus 25's, over 10000kms and no punctures yet on my commute. However, they are horrible! I recently bought new wheels for any weekend spins/ sportives for which I will buy a nicer tyre/ tube combination.

Looked like I had an ever so slightly deformed tube on there, and a pin prick size hole beside it on tyre side. Nothing in the tyre whatsoever. I still think my bike is cursed mind

Advertisement