Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grades

Options
  • 07-08-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi i was just wonderin if some1 could tell how the grades go in college i will b going into gmit.

Like what percent is an A or B or even C.

Also lets say u done a bachelor degree what percent would you need to get a distintion or merit or whatever.

Also i was talkin to some fella b4 and he said he got a 2.1 average what did that mean i dont know which college he was in but it was 1 in Ireland.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

70-100 = A or 1.1
    60-69 = B or 2.1
    50-59 = C or 2.2
    40-49 = D or pass

It's different with Medicine where the pass mark is 50% but I think that's the general system for all other courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Predalien's description isn't what's used in NUI Galway (I know OP mentioned GMIT).
    Grade Bands are actually the following:
    A - 70 - 100 (1.1)
    B+ - 60 - 69 (2.1)
    B- - 50 - 59 (2.2)
    C - 45 - 49 (Third) (Normally only used in Final Year/Degree Classifications; not as common in relation to other years)
    D - 40 - 44 (Pass)
    Anything below 40, rather obviously, is a fail.
    These bands changed around 7 years ago in NUIG (basically the 2.1 band was extended from 62-69 to 60-69, and the 2.2 band went from 55-61 to 50-59), so friends or older siblings may have a slightly different recollection of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

This is the NUI Galway forum :confused:

Belmono wrote: »
    Predalien's description isn't what's used in NUI Galway (I know OP mentioned GMIT).
    A - 70 - 100 (1.1)
    B+ - 60 - 69 (2.1)
    B- - 50 - 59 (2.2)
    C - 45 - 49 (Third) (Normally only used in Final Year/Degree Classifications; not as common in relation to other years)
    D - 40 - 44 (Pass)
    These bands changed around 7 years ago in NUIG (basically the 2.1 band was extended from 62-69 to 60-69, and the 2.2 band went from 55-61 to 50-59), so friends or older siblings may have a slightly different recollection of things!

Er, I've never heard of a third and I'm fairly sure anything between 40-49 is just a pass, it may vary between faculties but here's the Science department's guide to grades

Results of Semester I examinations will be communicated to students by means of the following grades:

Percentage
    Grade
    70-100
    A
    60-69
    B
    55-59
    C+
    50-54
    C-
    40-49
    D
    35-39
    E+
    30-34
    E-
    0-29
    F
    Taken from http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_records/syllabus/marks_standards.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

This
    Predalien wrote: »
    70-100 = A or 1.1
    60-69 = B or 2.1
    50-59 = C or 2.2
    40-49 = D or pass

It's different with Medicine where the pass mark is 50% but I think that's the general system for all other courses.
    is what NUIG use.

This:
    A - 70 - 100 (1.1)
    B+ - 60 - 69 (2.1)
    B- - 50 - 59 (2.2)
    D - 40 - 44 (Pass)
    is a system that is in use in certain British universities.

But NUIG is definitely the top quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

This is the NUI Galway forum :confused:

Yea i know its the NUIG forum but i posted in both GMIT and NUIG as i notice NUIG was more active which just proves also as no 1 replyed in GMIT forum!;)

Also thanks every 1 who replyed i have a good idea now of how grades go.:)

Lest Carsinian Thau think I supposedly quoted grade bands from a British University:
    The grade bands I mentioned relate to Arts and can be found at the following link:
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_records/documents/college_of_arts_social_sciences_and_celtic_studies_marks_and_standards_200910.doc
    The following are the standards for the award of the BA Degree with Honours:

First Class Honours - 70 per cent on the aggregate with not less than 60 per cent in either subject.
    Second Class Honours, Grade 1 - 60 per cent on the aggregate with not less than 50 per cent in either subject.
    Second Class Honours, Grade 2 - 50 per cent on the aggregate with not less than 45 per cent in either subject.
    Third Class Honours - 45 per cent on the aggregate.

Predalien, as you can see, Third Class Honours exists. As I mentioned in my post, it's normally only mentioned in relation to Final Year marks.
    What we can gather from this is that Grade Bands appear to vary from Faculty to Faculty (or College to College). I guess we've all learnt something;)

I guess we were both sort of right so! Kinda highlights how maybe they should standardise the grading system across the all the different colleges to prevent confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Learn something new everyday!!

(I've previously only ever heard of it in relation to British universities, hence my assumption).

They really do need to standardise it. My course has 1.1, 2.1 and then straight on to either Pass or Fail. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Reveuse

Hi!
    Just got a C+ in arts. Does any one know what it means ? I can't find a scale with the + & - on the NUIG website.
    Thanks,
    Rêveuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Reveuse wrote: »
    Hi!
    Just got a C+ in arts. Does any one know what it means ? I can't find a scale with the + & - on the NUIG website.
    It'll depend what subject(s) you are talking about. Check department of subject you got the grade in

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Reveuse

It'll depend what subject(s) you are talking about. Check department of subject you got the grade in

It's an English seminar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Reveuse wrote: »
    Hi!
    Thanks,
    Rêveuse.

The Student Handbook for English sets out what a C Grade means. You should ask your tutor for more specific feedback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

First Class Honours - 70 per cent on the aggregate with not less than 60 per cent in either subject.

Hi Belmono, I'm a bit confused on the final grading of the degree.

My interpretation of that is that you can still get a first class honours even if you don't get over 70% in all of your modules,
    so long as your average is over 70% and none of your results are below 60%. Is this correct? Thanks - P :)

QuantumP wrote: »
    Hi Belmono, I'm a bit confused on the final grading of the degree.

My interpretation of that is that you can still get a first class honours even if you don't get over 70% in all of your modules,
    so long as your average is over 70% and none of your results are below 60%. Is this correct? Thanks - P :)

Hi P!
    Well we're opening up the can of worms that is grading again, eh? :) At with anything you read online, take any advice or comments with a pinch of salt!

So despite all the differences we spoke about in previous posts, I think things are changing- my previous posts related to Arts and BAs in general, where students typically do a two-subject degree (although it's more complicated than that in many cases)! I think what you suggest is right, however, no matter what the College. You can achieve first class honours even if you don't get over 70% in all your modules. However, I think the stipulation that you do not have any results below 60% has changed, or at least in Arts (that clause about no results under 60% has disappeared from documentation). If you mathematically hit 70% overall, then there is no mechanism that will restrict you from getting first class honours, once you've passed all modules - in other words, if you happen to get less than 60 in one of your modules, but the combination of that module and all the rest brings you to over 70 overall, that's fine. A fail, however, usually blocks an overall calculation, I think.
    There was a recent process of academic simplification (well, more like administrative simplification) to try and introduce standardisation. There are usually marks and standards for each college, though they're not always easy to find on the respective college websites.
    The latest ones for Engineering, for example, can be easily accessed at http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering-informatics/currentstudents/marksstandards/ - this may help answer your questions better.

Advertisement