Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your least favourite popular or 'good' character? (Contains Book Spoilers)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I think Bran's POVs are some of the best & they will get better if they dive in to the past via the Weirwoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Bran is probably my favorite character. Mainly because I grew up reading tonnes of fantasy books and playing RPG games and Bran is the most archetypal of that character.

His story is like an RPG game.

The young kid who loses his family and goes on a quest to an unknown land. He is accompanied by his fearless pet, gentle giant bruiser, warrior women archer and wizard (kinda). Bran the crippled one who might become the most powerful.

I can't wait to see how GRRM messes with this and end up making me hate him or going somewhere grey with Bran. See also Arya tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

This is my big fear with whats left in Game of thrones. My favourite characters were The Hound, Obreyn and Tyrion. 2 of those are now dead.

The focus seems to shifting more towards Dany now and I can't stand her. Hate her in the books and shes even worse in the tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If someone is allowed to say Oberyn as a favourite character then I'm allowed my say! I think Areo Hotah is seriously cool, that dude doesn't give a **** - Serve, protect, obey, no more no less. A simple man of simple pleasures. Doesn't give a crap about the long con or whatever everyone else is planning. One philosophy and sticks to it like a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I cannot stand Daenerys, never liked her. I hope she stays where she is and never drags her story into Westeros. Or else she does but is swiftly beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The list is skewed though.
    I don't think anyone considers Bran, Brienne or Sansa as popular characters.
    They are main characters yeah...and get their own chapters.

So someone missing from the above, in a similar vain..who is also a main character that I hate.....Cersei. Couldn't care less about her story

And Sansa, and Brienne....and CATELYN STARK !! (constantly fcking up everything for her son) She couldn't die soon enough.....but then she comes back :(
    Her son was the one who made the fùck up, her plan was actually sound as Jaime has a lot more honour than everyone, including her, thinks and if he'd have gotten back when he did in the show in the books I think he'd have done something to try and get Sansa out. Maybe even work with Littlefinger but probably Varys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Jon for me. I just find him exceedingly dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Hard to answer but I choose Sansa.
    But simply by how she was "made" in the books and how she was as a person in the first 2 seasons.
    Im looking forward to a "new" bad-ass Sansa :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

voted sansa. Could never forgive her for her lust for power in series 1 even more so than staying loyal to her family. felt bit sorry once ned was exucuted. looking forward to see how she gets on in series 5

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

sansa... weak character nothing to Arya.
    Could not forgive her after that incident with Nymeria

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Deranged96 wrote: »

This also!.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arya and Sansa are 2 sides of the same circle, both had to adapt to survive after witnessing the death of their father. Sansa made her way by using her brain and tongue whereas Arya uses the sword. The problem with people is that they don't change their mind about characters, people still think Robb Stark was a major character. Martin is very good at presenting a character one way and changing our minds on that character over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I have no great love for Sansa but she is equally as strong as Arya, just in a different way. If their roles were reversed and Arya had been trapped in the Palace and Sansa managed to escape to the streets, neither of them would've survived. Sansa would've instantly become a target on the streets and Arya would probably have tried to stab Joffrey or Cersei and ended up with her head on a spike next to Ned.

At least Nymeria is still alive. Lady was killed despite not having done anything. Sansa should've learned her lesson there and then about what a back stabbing cúnt Cersei is. She paid dearly though, watching Ned being beheaded, being tortured physically and psychologically by Joffrey and being married to Tyrion. Many other people would've cracked in those circumstances but she is still going and has shown glimmers of defiance. Hopefully she has wised up enough to know that Littlefinger is just using her. I really, really hope she is the cause of his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think it would be pretty weak if Littlefinger is brought down by an idiot like Sansa. She has been a clueless doormat for three books then all of a sudden she's a master manipulator who can take out one of the most devious men alive? I really hope not. Maybe if she's helped by some of the guardians in the Vale but as a standalone arc the student should take a lot longer to surpass the teacher, even if the latter has a weakness for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Littlefinger is devious and dangerous but he lusts after power and I think he will start making mistakes. His main allies are the Tyrell's, specifically Oleanna and we don't know how their house is going to fair after Vary's finishes off the Lannisters. If something happened to Margery, the sh!t would really hit the fan.

We know Littlefinger wants power and to be seen as important as all the houses who looked down on him when he was growing up but we really have no clue as to what drives Vary's or what his end game is. He constantly says he "serves the realm" but to what purpose?

It will be interesting to see how Vary's vs Littlefinger plays out. Personally my money is on Vary's. I do think Littlefinger will be the master of his own downfall but Sansa will give him a big push along the way. I would love for Sansa and Arya to meet up and get along for once but that is probably too happy for ASOIAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think that Sansa has been a bit of a wet blanket so far, but I suspect that's going to change. Arya hit the ground running, but when Sansa finally figures out what she wants, her experiences with Joffrey, Tyrion and Littlefinger ought to serve her well.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Out of them all? Tyrion is a rapist so yeah I'd say Tyrion

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's an interesting interpretation of that part of Tyrion's history... While he wasn't harmed as much as Tysha, I'd still see them both as being victims of Tywin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Never mind.

Sleepy wrote: »
    That's an interesting interpretation of that part of Tyrion's history... While he wasn't harmed as much as Tysha, I'd still see them both as being victims of Tywin...

I didn't realise I forgot to answer this.

He definitely raped the prostitute called the Sunset Girl in Selhorys.

And he was involved in a gang rape of Tysha, yet his ego sees that whole thing as a wrong done to him.

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten about the Sunset Girl rape so I can see your point on that basis, but how you can't see him as being a victim in Tysha's gang-rape is odd to me. It's blaming a 13 year old victim of child abuse for the abuse of another of the victims of their abuser.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about the Sunset Girl rape so I can see your point on that basis, but how you can't see him as being a victim in Tysha's gang-rape is odd to me. It's blaming a 13 year old victim of child abuse for the abuse of another of the victims of their abuser.
    Yeah but he sees it as only a wrong done to him.

Does he? I'd have thought his biterness towards the entire situation, specifically the rage once Jaime fills him in on the truth that she wasn't a whore, was a recognition that she wasn't just another one of the crowd making jokes at the imp's expense: she actually loved him and his family had her gang-raped, forcing him to take part and (worse in his mind?) fooled him into believing that she hadn't loved him: contributing to his fairly ingrained view of himself as being unworthy of love etc.

I'm still curious as to if he'll cross her path again. I'd be one of those who reckons "The Sailors Wife" is Tysha and her inclusion is a bit of a Chekov's gun.

Advertisement