Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Definitely lost his cool today. Seemed to have no confidence with the putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

I love watching Shane, but I didn't like his body language yesterday and I haven't seen it yet today but it doesn't sound too good. He needs to control his emotions on the course. He has great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

As good as he looked on Wednesday, he was quite poor today. Wheels fell off completely from the 14th.
    Did anyone notice the remark by the commentator (I think Critchley but couldn't swear to it) when they showed a group of spectators following his match, ncluding one guy with an enormous gut on him and swilling a pint. The commentator said "they must be fans of Lowry" or words to that effect. I don't think it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

First Up wrote: »
    As good as he looked on Wednesday, he was quite poor today. Wheels fell off completely from the 14th.
    Did anyone notice the remark by the commentator (I think Critchley but couldn't swear to it) when they showed a group of spectators following his match, ncluding one guy with an enormous gut on him and swilling a pint. The commentator said "they must be fans of Lowry" or words to that effect. I don't think it was a joke.

That sounds like in Happy Gilmore. I used to not be a fan of Lowry, but now I really look forward to seeing how high he can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

I took it as him actually knowing they were mates of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sure you'd expect nothing less from Bruce

h2005 wrote: »
    I took it as him actually knowing they were mates of his.

Could be, but it seemed a very pointed remark. As I recall, they weren't the most svelte looking group and the guy with the pint was truly gross. The inference was that this is the sort of company he keeps....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That was a horrendous comment to make about any player.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    That was a horrendous comment to make about any player.

As I said, it struck me as a very pointed remark.

If two or more players are tied on points after all matches are played then their specific head to head match result will be used to determine which player is placed higher in the group. After which, if two or more players are still tied for one of the two qualifying positions within the group then those players will compete in a hole-by-hole play-off.

I was looking at the group results today and Shane is shown as finishing tied 3rd. This would suggest that the head to head rule is only used to determine who finishes first or second. Seems fair enough, but the difference between finishing 3rd and tied 3rd/4th in the group means that instead of finishing in a 4 way tie for 9th, Shane finishes in a four way tie for 11th.

In prize money terms, this means a reduction in actual prize money from €75,000 to €62,500 and a reduction in official Race to Dubai prize money from €43,875 to €37,688.

It also means a reduction in the number of world ranking points, but I'm not sure precisely how these points will be calculated. The world rankings website states that in limited field events with fewer than 30 players, points are capped to 2.40 maximum points for last place or first round losers in match play events of less than 30 qualified players.

I presume that this cap will apply to players finishing 4th in their group. If someone finishes tied 3rd/4th there are two ways their world ranking points could be calculated. One is to base it on the points applicable to those finishing tied 11th to 14th, without applying the cap. This would give 3.22 world ranking points. The other is to use 2.40 points as the figure for 13th and 14th, giving 2.95 points. If there were no ties for 3rd place in a group, 3.78 points would be awarded to those finishing 3rd.

I hope the difference in official prize money and/or world ranking points is not a deciding factor in determining whether Shane finishes in the top 10 or top 15 in the Race to Dubai (which I think affect invitations to some of the majors) or finishing in the top 50 in the year end world rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think that's a huge opportunity missed, he beat Rory last year which probably helped his place in this tournament and now he's missed ranking points that were begging, shame

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

abff wrote: »
    I was looking at the group results today and Shane is shown as finishing tied 3rd. This would suggest that the head to head rule is only used to determine who finishes first or second. Seems fair enough, but the difference between finishing 3rd and tied 3rd/4th in the group means that instead of finishing in a 4 way tie for 9th, Shane finishes in a four way tie for 11th.

In prize money terms, this means a reduction in actual prize money from €75,000 to €62,500 and a reduction in official Race to Dubai prize money from €43,875 to €37,688.

It also means a reduction in the number of world ranking points, but I'm not sure precisely how these points will be calculated. The world rankings website states that in limited field events with fewer than 30 players, points are capped to 2.40 maximum points for last place or first round losers in match play events of less than 30 qualified players.

I presume that this cap will apply to players finishing 4th in their group. If someone finishes tied 3rd/4th there are two ways their world ranking points could be calculated. One is to base it on the points applicable to those finishing tied 11th to 14th, without applying the cap. This would give 3.22 world ranking points. The other is to use 2.40 points as the figure for 13th and 14th, giving 2.95 points. If there were no ties for 3rd place in a group, 3.78 points would be awarded to those finishing 3rd.

I hope the difference in official prize money and/or world ranking points is not a deciding factor in determining whether Shane finishes in the top 10 or top 15 in the Race to Dubai (which I think affect invitations to some of the majors) or finishing in the top 50 in the year end world rankings.

The results shown on the website today show Shane as finishing 3rd in his group. If this is followed through in the world rankings, it might allow him to hold on to 53rd place. The person just ahead of him in the rankings was Mikko Ilonen, who will now move well up into the top 50 after today's results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The results shown on the website today show Shane as finishing 3rd in his group. If this is followed through in the world rankings, it might allow him to hold on to 53rd place. The person just ahead of him in the rankings was Mikko Ilonen, who will now move well up into the top 50 after today's results.

Fair play to Ilonen, always nice to see The Irish Open winner to go onto bigger and better things.
    Shane still in a good position with 4 strong ranking pts and cut free events coming up. Hopefully he has something left in the tank. I wouldnt be shocked to see him make Decembers Nedbank either. A great opportunity for cash and points in those "wheelbarrow" events.

3.78 ranking points confirmed for tied 9th, Gallacher got 2.765 for tied 13th.
    Shame Europeantour.com couldn't reflect this in their group tables :rolleyes:

3.78 ranking points confirmed for tied 9th, Gallacher got 2.765 for tied 13th.
    Shame Europeantour.com couldn't reflect this in their group tables :rolleyes:

Yes, you'd think they'd manage to get it right. By the way, Stevie G only got 2.40 ranking points because of the cap on last place finishers in limited field events.

Shane is still in 53rd, but Ilonen now up to 37th. Still well within Shane's grasp to make the top 50 by year end if he performs well in the final series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yes, you'd think they'd manage to get it right. By the way, Stevie G only got 2.40 ranking points because of the cap on last place finishers in limited field events.

Shane is still in 53rd, but Ilonen now up to 37th. Still well within Shane's grasp to make the top 50 by year end if he performs well in the final series.

I would just love Shane to make it to the top 50 - he is certainly capable. Sorry, I'm away right now, so can someone tell me where/when he is playing next?

vienne86 wrote: »
    I would just love Shane to make it to the top 50 - he is certainly capable. Sorry, I'm away right now, so can someone tell me where/when he is playing next?

He will be playing in the BMW Masters in Shanghai from October 30th to November 2nd. This is the first event in the Race to Dubai Final Series. Then, there is the HSBC WGC event the following week which is also in Shanghai, followed by the Turkish Airlines Open in Antalya and the season ending DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.

As far as I know, he is planning to take part in all four of the above events.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

have just checked on Google and found that Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Miguel angel Jimenez are playing in the Nedbank Golf Challenge. I thought a golfer on the Europeantour had to be in the OWGR top 10 or in the R2D top 10 to qualify.How do they qualify?.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

It is the top 10 available players from the OWGR after the USPGA that qualify. So top 40 is probably enough to get in

Similarly 10 available players qualify from the top 30 of the final Race to Dubai rankings. So Lowry is in a very good position to qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

Thanks Paulo,

I think shane has a good chance of qualifying. The Nedbank would give him a great start to the new season. Also checking his schedule he has not been confirmed to play in the HSBC-WGC, although the U.S pga website has him as qualified to play

Maths1 wrote: »
    Thanks Paulo,

I think shane has a good chance of qualifying. The Nedbank would give him a great start to the new season. Also checking his schedule he has not been confirmed to play in the HSBC-WGC, although the U.S pga website has him as qualified to play

He's definitely qualified to play. For 2014, the top 15 players (not already exempt in a higher category) in the Race to Dubai as of 20 October 2014 qualify for the tournament.

Good recovery today with 3 birdies on the spin near the end of his round to finish -2 T19.

Good round today, 6 birdies and no bogeys is always decent!

Tied 8th but still 6 off the lead as it's a bit of a birdie fest, I see Thomas Bjorn shot -5 after being +4 after 3!

The 6 he's behind Colsaerts is all down to their par 5 scores, 7 birdies and an eagle is phenomenal!

That was a lovely round from Shane - tied 8th (with McDowell), but yes, a good few shots back. Levy and Colsarts were stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Any decent result over the next few weeks will see him climb into the worlds top 50 which will be a great achievement.

AGC wrote: »
    Any decent result over the next few weeks will see him climb into the worlds top 50 which will be a great achievement.

Depending what other people do of course....

He's been playing really nicely, and deserves to get in to the top 50 - hope he makes it.

vienne86 wrote: »
    He's been playing really nicely, and deserves to get in to the top 50 - hope he makes it.

Yes, he looks comfortable in with the big boys. Important few weeks for him.

• Advertisement

Should have kept my mouth shut. -1 in the third round and drops to tied 20th.

Advertisement