Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

So happy Djoko lost - WUHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Federer blows me away - at this stage he should be at home in his slippers never mind beating Djoko on his favourite surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Stop with the slanderous, personal comments the_monkey! They add nothing to discussion.

You won't be welcome in this thread if you post comments like it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yes, it's important to remember that on becoming a parent, one must immediately quit their job and spend every waking moment with your children.

Not every moment but how much time is lost on the tour ?
    Look what Sampras did - quit while he was ahead to spend time with his wife and baby boy
    Even Nadal won't have kids untill he's retired

the_monkey wrote: »
    Not every moment but how much time is lost on the tour ?
    Look what Sampras did - quit while he was ahead to spend time with his wife and baby boy
    Even Nadal won't have kids untill he's retired

I didn't know yourself and Rafa were so close that he has informed he is not having kids until he has finished playing!

Let's stick to discussing the tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I'd say Fed's motivation to stay on tour are two fold, yes he believes he can still compete, I'd say he's relishing the challenge of adapting his game and trying to get back on top.

But also, I'd say he just loves playing and would be lost without it. Plenty of sports people play on until they literally can't any more, simply because they love playing the sport. Not for money or anything else. Once you stop, you're done for life.

I'm enjoying watching him work his game and try and counter all the younger stronger guys.

Are people crazy here??!

Fed could possibly finish the year as No 1.

Not sure he can still win another slam but what a comeback is all I can say. I thought he was finished last year but I was 100% wrong!!

He shouldn't even be competing at this stage - never mind beating the world No 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And yet if he had lost any of those 5 matchpoints against Mayer in the 1st round, ppl would be calling on him to retire now... narrow margins!

And yet if he had lost any of those 5 matchpoints against Mayer in the 1st round, ppl would be calling on him to retire now... narrow margins!

I don't think so to be fair although I get what you mean.

He would still be 2nd in the race even if he went out 1st round - arguments could be made if Rafa were fit...However that's life and he is proving this year he is still well ahead of everyone bar Rafa and Djoko. Due to age he is more vulnerable in Slam's with it being 5 sets but what can you do...

Will be interesting to see can he keep himself going again next year...He has to fade at some stage!

Nikolay Davydenko has retired at 33. He only won 6 tour-level matches this season...injury really took a toll on him. Amazingly, he's one of very few players to have a winning record against Nadal! Federer et al. could take some tips from him.:p

Mad to think he's retired and Hewitt, also 33, is still going.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,585 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Federer maybe not winning a slam is every bit to do with how competitive the sport is today as much as Feeder being "over the hill." In many other eras he would still be winning slams. He is still palying very well, moving well and as fit as ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Sailor Lake

walshb wrote: »
    Federer maybe not winning a slam is every bit to do with how competitive the sport is today as much as Feeder being "over the hill." In many other eras he would still be winning slams. He is still palying very well, moving well and as fit as ever.

It's no more competitive than in 2007, in fact I'd say it's significantly less competitive.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

All Cibulkova had to do to get to Sinapore as an alternate was beat Vitalia Diachenko and she couldn't do it. Her ranking after Melbourne will take quite a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

All Cibulkova had to do to get to Sinapore as an alternate was beat Vitalia Diachenko and she couldn't do it. Her ranking after Melbourne will take quite a drop.

She has been rubbish for a bit now though, would probably have been battered if she had played.

Anyways this video is awesome,not female but yeah I can see why they all love him so much. :p

Sock comes across as a good egg as well. :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This picture from Singapore is amazing :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0Oa9MXCMAAJj2Q.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This picture from Singapore is amazing :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0Oa9MXCMAAJj2Q.jpg:large

A lot of tweeting going on by the middle 4. All had great pics on twitter yesterday/today. Masha just looks bored of it all really.

Yay, Andy wins the title. Shanghai aside, he's got very good results since the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Great match between David and Andy, it was so close. I had no idea who was going to win it right until the last few minutes!

Shockingly (:pac:) Serena Williams has won her first match of the WTA Finals. 6-4, 6-4 win over Ana Ivanovic. Halep/Bouchard is on now. Halep won the first set 6-2 and has gotten the break in the 2nd. She's playing really well! All 4 are in the Red Group.

Kvitova, Wozniacki, Sharapova and Radwanska are in the White Group.

Kinda surprised to see that Halep is playing so well. Neither were in great form coming into the match so wasn't sure which way it would go. Doesn't look like Genie's gonna have much joy this week, she's 4-9 against the rest of the field, with two of those wins against Ivanovic, and another against an injured (or at least hurting) Halep.

Anyway I think we'll end up with a Serena-Sharapova final, with Serena dropping 5/6 games in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Great match between David and Andy, it was so close. I had no idea who was going to win it right until the last few minutes!

Judy Murray asked viewers to keep her in "Strictly" for one more week so Andy would be free to see her dance. She obviously does not expect him to get to the final in Valencia!

Halep took a good bit of time off pre and post US...must have done her good.

I think Serena, Maria & Petra will go through. Other spot might come down to sets/games won and lost.

Pretty disappointed Sharapova lost to Woz again. Seventy-six unforced errors.

I miss when Maria used to play like this :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Halep just thumped Serena. 6-0 6-2. Embarrassing performance from Serena. Open the group up a bit more though. If Bouchard takes a set in her match Halep will qualify but any of the other 3 still could depending on results.

Sweet Jesus, cannot believe Halep beat Serena, let alone drop just two games! :eek: I couldn't have foreseen any circumstance where that would happen. She can surely win the whole thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pretty disappointed Sharapova lost to Woz again. Seventy-six unforced errors.

That's 19 full games lost on unforced errors ,and Wozniacki only won 18 games and a tie break !

That has to be a record in a 3 set match ,that's absolutely atrocious stuff
    I see she had 15 double faults too :eek:

Fack! Wasn't expecting Halep to beat Serena, especially by that score line. Her worst loss since 1998 apparently. Ouch. Great boost for Simona though.

This tournament is getting really interesting!!:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Djokovic's had a baby boy yesterday, I think. If anyone's interested. His name is Stefan.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Fack! Wasn't expecting Halep to beat Serena, especially by that score line. Her worst loss since 1998 apparently. Ouch. Great boost for Simona though.

This tournament is getting really interesting!!:D

I was really sleepy when I first saw the score, had to read it about three times to make sure I wasn't reading it the wrong way around :eek:

And yes, the last time she lost this bad was at the 1998 Oklahoma IGA classic, 1-6 1-6 to Joannette Kruger. Serena was 16!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Another win for Wozniacki this morning against radwanska 7-5, 6-3. Wozniacki is on a good run lately. Ever since the break up and change of racket her performances seem to have picked up. Wonder if the extra training she is doing for the new York marathon helping.

Advertisement