Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Food Intolerance Testing

• 22-09-2014 11:11am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

First time poster so sorry if my question has been answered 100 times in the past.

I've always noticed that some foods don't agree with me, for example white soda bread or Apaché pizza will run through me whereas brown bread or Domino's would be fine. I also noticed that if I eat some breads that I'll come out in a rash around my mouth. Common sense down through the years meant that I just avoided certain things, for example certain beers would kill me so I avoid those.

Now however I've noticed that more and more things drive my guts crazy and it means that if I go for dinner or an event that I will be suffering for 2 or 3 days afterwards. I was listening to the radio at the weekend and I heard about food intolerance testing, I know the person on the radio was selling a product, but a lot of what he was saying ticked a lot of boxes for me, I was wondering what people's opinions of the tests are and if there's 1 in particular that would be recommened (price and service of course).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Have you been to your GP about your symptoms? That'd be my first port of call before thinking about allergy testing tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I mentioned it to him before and he advised to cut things completely out for a few weeks to see if there's any improvement, but did send away for a coeliac (which came back negative). The problem isn't cutting stuff out normally, it's when I'm at an event or something I don't know what not to have, would be nice to know (for example) that I can't have the dessert cause there's something in it that I can't handle, or that I can't have a certain type of wine cause of something in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Greyian

I got the York Test done in Charlemount Clinic a few months ago. There were 4 different levels if I remember correctly (testing 50, 75, 100 and 150 different possible intolerances). I'm not sure where else offers it. It is quite costly (I think it was about €250 for the 150 Test), but it was very good.
    Might be worth looking in to.

I think this is the new version of it: http://www.yorktest.ie/products/yorktest-food-drinkscan-food-programme/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Greyian wrote: »
    I got the York Test done in Charlemount Clinic a few months ago. There were 4 different levels if I remember correctly (testing 50, 75, 100 and 150 different possible intolerances). I'm not sure where else offers it. It is quite costly (I think it was about €250 for the 150 Test), but it was very good.
    Might be worth looking in to.

I think this is the new version of it: http://www.yorktest.ie/products/yorktest-food-drinkscan-food-programme/

Looks to be €350 now, my guts are in such a state now since a wedding on Friday I think I'll go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I had very similar symptoms to yourself for ages, except the rash around the mouth.

After a small process of elimination, I worked out it was Wheat causing my problem.

I have been off wheat for a few weeks now, and I've noticed a big difference in how my insides behave, and it's all for the better.

Stopped drinking beer now as well, and have the odd glass of cider, or you can also get Gluten free beers.

Did say it to my GP, but he just brushed it off and said the intolerance testing is a waste of time.

Glad I sorted it on my own though.

• Advertisement

After another day of feeling like absolute cr@p I've decided to go ahead and order a test, I went with the York test and was going to go with the Food and Drink 1 but rang them up first, the nice person on the phone said my symptoms sound more like IBS (she explained that this is just an umbrella description) but that that test might be a better option as it contains all the Food & Drink stuff along with follow up consultations and a customized FODMAP plan.

Sorry if I annoy anyone here and if it's just a fad, but at this stage I'm willing to try anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Does anyone know if the food intolerance tests are just a fad? Boots, Fitzwilliam Food Test and York Test are three options I'm aware of, price is the same but not sure if one is more credible than the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

As far as I know they are a gimmick. Maybe some one else knows but I'd be very very surprised to see independent research showing they are accurate, I'd love to know the process by which they 'work' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I honestly think (with the exception of medical conditions like coeliac disease, Chrones etc) that the only way to see if you're sensitive to wheat, dairy whatever is to eliminate it for a few weeks and then reintroduce and see what happens.

I'm never going to get on board with anything involving magnets or holding onto handles and results in a list of random 'allergens' like peas, cucumber etc

• Advertisement

Personally, I think they are a bit of a gimmick (this is the guy who is after spending €350 on 1), I think what they do is detect anti-bodies to certain foods, if you don't eat those foods there won't be an anti-body for it, if there's more anti-bodies of a certain type then it might signify that your body has to work harder to get rid of the food, either that or you are eating too much of it.

From my point of view, an elimination diet isn't that great of an option without some guidance, for example, I might try to eliminate it but without thinking I'll order it or cook it. If I get a plan, or guideline, then I'll stick to it. Also, I'll know, if for example, I find out to have an intolerance to beer, I'll know that if I decide to have a beer that I'll have to deal with it. Going for days with your guts in bits because of something isn't worth it.

By the way, I'll track my findings with the test on here to share my findings/thoughts of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Very interested to hear your findings Clareman.

I think I need to get something done as well as I think I may be Yeast intolerant!

Surprised they did not tell you to go for the First Step Test first and then decide if you needed to go for the next set of tests:
    http://www.yorktest.ie/products/first-step-test/

I believe they discount the €30 for the First Step test from the €350 if you need further testing so it would make sense to do that first I would have thought?

Did you go for the IBS Diet Test and when will you get the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Diddlydoubt

Lads, I experience similar problems myself. Severe bloating and bouts of trapped wind in my lower abdomen.

Got tested by my doctor and results came back that I didnt have anything medically wrong, but that my symptoms would indicate that I suffer from some form of IBS. However I still suffer from this on an ongoing basis.

Within my diet I dont eat bread at all really and would have a low sugar intake overall so I dont think its a gluten intolerance.

However I would eat a large volume of vegetables/salad during the course of the day and having done a little research this may be the root cause of my problem.

From looking at the IBS Diet sheet it appears that I eat a huge amount of the items off the 'Insoluble fiber' section on a daily basis. I plan to experiment by cutting back totally on items from the insoluble fiber section and seeing what result that has on my bloating issues.

Has anybody suffered from similar symptoms as me in relation to vegetables particularly and what did you do to help resolve the problem?

reni10 wrote: »
    Very interested to hear your findings Clareman.

I think I need to get something done as well as I think I may be Yeast intolerant!

Surprised they did not tell you to go for the First Step Test first and then decide if you needed to go for the next set of tests:
    http://www.yorktest.ie/products/first-step-test/

I believe they discount the €30 for the First Step test from the €350 if you need further testing so it would make sense to do that first I would have thought?

Did you go for the IBS Diet Test and when will you get the results?

I think the first scan will just come up saying if you have an intolerance or not, it won't give you a breakdown of what you are intolerant to, if you do 1 of the other tests and you turn out not to be intolerant to anything they give you €320 back (i.e. just charge for the first test).

Clareman wrote: »
    I think the first scan will just come up saying if you have an intolerance or not, it won't give you a breakdown of what you are intolerant to, if you do 1 of the other tests and you turn out not to be intolerant to anything they give you €320 back (i.e. just charge for the first test).

Sounds like you're guaranteed to be intolerant of something so.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Just thought I'd chip in here. I've had terrible digestive "habits" for 7/8 years, but only now going through a spell of getting it properly looked into (before this I was insistent on find a "solution" myself/thought it was just something "normal" that a lot of people live with...)

For anyone with similar problems the first thing is to get to your doctor and make sure it's nothing more serious (eg bloods to show up stuff like Crohn's or colitis). I also had a colonoscopy which came back clear - which was actually a great for piece of mind. And your doc should be able to give you something (anti-spasmodic) to ease some of the symptoms/pain.

I don't eat wheat anymore (after years of being reluctant to give it up as I was convinced it was just a fad!) but gotta admit it's improved things for me a lot. But it's still not perfect and I still have really bad days.

My own GP says the problem with these intolerance tests is that they can lead people down a highly restrictive path, and that you'll most likely end up with a significant list of things that mightn't actually be the root of the problem at all. But he says the FODMAP diet, while restrictive, has helped a good few patients.

I've since been referred to a gastroenterologist to confirm whether it's "just" IBS or anything more serious. So waiting on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

From my point of view, an elimination diet isn't that great of an option without some guidance, for example, I might try to eliminate it but without thinking I'll order it or cook it. If I get a plan, or guideline, then I'll stick to it. Also, I'll know, if for example, I find out to have an intolerance to beer, I'll know that if I decide to have a beer that I'll have to deal with it. Going for days with your guts in bits because of something isn't worth it.

Guidance from someone else won't protect you from your bad choices though.

Guidance from someone else won't protect you from your bad choices though.

I know, I know, but I'm the kind of person who if I "think" something is up I'll think that I'll be grand, but if someone "tells" me then I'll avoid it, or at least will make a conscience decision to.

candle_wax wrote: »
    Just thought I'd chip in here. I've had terrible digestive "habits" for 7/8 years, but only now going through a spell of getting it properly looked into (before this I was insistent on find a "solution" myself/thought it was just something "normal" that a lot of people live with...)

For anyone with similar problems the first thing is to get to your doctor and make sure it's nothing more serious (eg bloods to show up stuff like Crohn's or colitis). I also had a colonoscopy which came back clear - which was actually a great for piece of mind. And your doc should be able to give you something (anti-spasmodic) to ease some of the symptoms/pain.

I don't eat wheat anymore (after years of being reluctant to give it up as I was convinced it was just a fad!) but gotta admit it's improved things for me a lot. But it's still not perfect and I still have really bad days.

My own GP says the problem with these intolerance tests is that they can lead people down a highly restrictive path, and that you'll most likely end up with a significant list of things that mightn't actually be the root of the problem at all. But he says the FODMAP diet, while restrictive, has helped a good few patients.

I've since been referred to a gastroenterologist to confirm whether it's "just" IBS or anything more serious. So waiting on that.

The IBS profile from York Test includes the FODMAP and 2 sessions with a nutritionist.

The IBS profile from York Test includes the FODMAP and 2 sessions with a nutritionist.

Legally, I'm a nutritionist.

• Advertisement

Legally, I'm a nutritionist.

Good point, anyone can print out a cert. Believe me when I say I'm the last person to go in for any kind of "new age" stuff, but at this stage I'm willing to give anything a try.

Good point, anyone can print out a cert. Believe me when I say I'm the last person to go in for any kind of "new age" stuff, but at this stage I'm willing to give anything a try.

And fair play bout being so honest about it! Most people have an opinion, and argue for it by twisting facts rather than the correct way of changing opinions based on facts! I could trust your opinion on the results more than someone who goes in thinking it's going to work. Empiricism FTW!

And fair play bout being so honest about it! Most people have an opinion, and argue for it by twisting facts rather than the correct way of changing opinions based on facts! I could trust your opinion on the results more than someone who goes in thinking it's going to work. Empiricism FTW!

I'm sure there'll be a massive placebo effect involved in getting the results as well so I don't think it can possible be conclusive, but as I say, I'm willing to try anything.

I'm sure there'll be a massive placebo effect involved in getting the results as well so I don't think it can possible be conclusive, but as I say, I'm willing to try anything.

Being aware of all that stuff is half the battle.

Would the money be better spent on a consultation with a dietician?

Would the money be better spent on a consultation with a dietician?

Might be, but the money combines the test with 2 consultations and a customized diet drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Hi All,

First time poster so sorry if my question has been answered 100 times in the past.

I've always noticed that some foods don't agree with me, for example white soda bread or Apaché pizza will run through me whereas brown bread or Domino's would be fine. I also noticed that if I eat some breads that I'll come out in a rash around my mouth. Common sense down through the years meant that I just avoided certain things, for example certain beers would kill me so I avoid those.

Now however I've noticed that more and more things drive my guts crazy and it means that if I go for dinner or an event that I will be suffering for 2 or 3 days afterwards. I was listening to the radio at the weekend and I heard about food intolerance testing, I know the person on the radio was selling a product, but a lot of what he was saying ticked a lot of boxes for me, I was wondering what people's opinions of the tests are and if there's 1 in particular that would be recommened (price and service of course).

Thanks
    I would suggest you go to a kinesiologist and get him/het to test you for particular foods you may be sensitive to.
    It is quite accurate and far cheaper than the York test

Sorry for the lack of updates, been a bit manic.

I received the test on Monday, which was a good time as I went for a buffet for lunch on Sunday so I'd imagine I ate everything that I would eat then so something should show up.

The test itself is simple, sign a form, sign a vile, prick your finger, soak the blood up in a pipette type device, put pipette in the vile, pack everything up and send it back.

The blurb says that it should be back within 10 days, I posted it late yesterday evening so I guess today is day 1. On a side note, if you are going to prick your finger don't prick the top of it cause that make typing a bit sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Friend of mine has recent had one of them done. And has come back with a list as long as my arm of food to avoid. I think they are mostly snake oil. Seem reasonable to me, if they were legit, you could get a referral from a gp and it would be done in a hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Eliminate some foods for a while and see yourself

One can have no problems detected to any food, but every food has different ingredients and spices and that can cause a problems

Most allergic can be breads and bakery, milk and milk products and anything, it's individually. Also depends on age, products good when one is young can be not advisable after 25-30+.

Advertisement