Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know your elves #2 - Posy

• 05-09-2014 11:44am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thanks again to the wonderful kerry4sam for last week's first thread.

This week I welcome all questions to our wonderful Christmassy Moderator Posy.

You can still sign up the signup thread and rules can be found here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057276709

So this thread will be active for about a week giving you plenty of time to drop in and ask any questions you may have for Posy.

I'll kick it off with some standard questions,

1) What is your favourite thing about Christmas?
    2) What brought you to the Christmas Forum on boards?
    3) Did you prefer it as an seasonal forum or an all year round one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Hi Posy!

Favourite Christmas song?

How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house?

What is your earliest Christmas memory?

Do you have a stocking? If so, where do you leave it on Christmas Eve?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If not, when do you expect to start?

Do you have any Christmas jumpers, and if so what do they look like?

What are your Christmas dinner staples?

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad, or does it have to be at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

How do Posy!! :D

1. What's your oldest decoration?

2. What is the one thing you HAVE to have at Christmas, food, drink or otherwise?

3. Who is the best movie Scrooge?

4. Who is your least favourite character in Love Actually?

5 Gift Wrap - simple & classic or frou-frou & fussy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hey there Posy!

At the Christmas Dinner do you prefer to have only a few people or are you the sort to invite loads of people and have a massive dinner together?

Most you've ever spent on someone?

Most expensive Christmas Decoration you own?

And finally.... How much do you love Christmas?! :pac:

Loads I'm guessing :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    The build up to Christmas is my favourite. I love seeing the Christmas lights go up, the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opening, waiting for Christmas FM to come on the air and the Christmassy things start appearing in shops.
    I actually love the month of November for that reason. :)

I remember posting here about 'little Christmas'. At the time I didn't really use boards much and I was thinking that I never knew that there was a Christmas forum, and then realised that it had just been opened!

Oooh, all year around! It's nice to have a safe haven of other Christmas lovers- sometimes people can feel Christmassy no matter what time of year it is!

• Advertisement

Alicat wrote: »
    Hi Posy!

Jona Lewie- Stop the Cavalry.
    Followed closely by anything by Straight No Chaser. :D

About four. Just one 'proper' tree though, it you get me.
    Usually the big tree and a little mini tree in the sitting room. A 'pop-up' tree in the kitchen, and this year I'm hoping to get a 'pop-up' tree for the hall. There's a plug socket there crying out for fairy lights! :p

I have a really vague recollection of being around three and being really excited to have gotten a bear from Santa.

I do! I've had it years and it goes on the mantelpiece on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day it's usually become mysteriously full with little bits and bobs- and mobile phone top-ups. :)

Scarinae wrote: »
    Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If not, when do you expect to start?

No!! And I usually start around late August/early September. It's been bedlam at work and we're horribly short-staffed this month, so I'm going to start making my list (and checking it twice) around the last week of September and then get my shopping done in October. It will probably work out better because it's really hard to find nice wrapping paper in September!
    I'd be properly panicked if I didn't have everything bought and wrapped by the 1st of November.

I have two Christmas jumpers, both from Penneys! One has a Christmas tree on it and the other has a snowman. Both are red, of course.
    I seen a jumper in a shop last year that had Santa and Jesus linking arms beside a Christmas tree- it was so funny, I wish I'd bought it!

The usual- turkey, spuds etc... I'm all about the stuffing though. I LOVE stuffing. I generally have about 3 types of stuffing for Christmas Day. I got stuffing balls the year before last and cranberry stuffing- and they were both gorgeous!! You've made me really hungry now. :mad: :pac:

Oh, Christmas Day would have to be at home.
    I've been abroad about 4 times around Christmas though. London, (it was MANIC) Edinburgh, (it was magical and amazing) Warsaw, (it was COLD) and Malta. Malta was weird, because Christmas lights and sunshine were a strange combination which was hard for me to get my head around! :o

I'll be back later to answer the rest!! :D

washiskin wrote: »
    How do Posy!! :D

2. What is the one thing you HAVE to have at Christmas, food, drink or otherwise?

I have a wooden Christmas log which was bought in 1985, the last Christmas my grandad was alive for. I light a candle in it every Christmas Eve.

Oooh, I can't think of just one thing! My family, Christmas FM and a free range bronze turkey and stuffing are all I can narrow it down to!!

I'd say Patrick Stewart- because I love him in everything. :D

Anyone who calls Martine McCutcheon's character fat- she's not even overweight in this film!!

Fussy enough. I always spend a lot on bows and ribbons. But I like some classic paper like white with black lanterns on it, or that type of thing. If it's a small gift, you have to go simple and classic or it will just look ridiculous- the bow should never be bigger than the box! :pac:

Hey there Posy!

At the Christmas Dinner do you prefer to have only a few people or are you the sort to invite loads of people and have a massive dinner together?

Loads I'm guessing :)
    Always just me and my (small) family- we've actually never had guests at Christmas. That's not to say we don't want any; it's just never happened!

A couple of hundred on family members could easily happen. I can't think of a specific price though!

I got some baubles in Harrods last year- they were expensive; as far as baubles are concerned!
    I got a little Christmas television decoration in Brown Thomas last year for €150. That was possibly the most I've splashed out on just a decoration!

Loads I'm guessing

Correct!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Posy wrote: »
    Always just me and my (small) family- we've actually never had guests at Christmas. That's not to say we don't want any; it's just never happened!

A couple of hundred on family members could easily happen. I can't think of a specific price though!

I got some baubles in Harrods last year- they were expensive; as far as baubles are concerned!
    I got a little Christmas television decoration in Brown Thomas last year for €150. That was possibly the most I've splashed out on just a decoration!

Loads I'm guessing

Correct!! :D

Great answers!

Cheers for answering Posy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Posy do you have a set date each year that the Christmas decorations come out?

As a child, it was always December 8th. Waaaay too late!!

My Christmas countdown snowman (like one of these)
    mrHfwh1_kKWQYxLApZpADtA.jpg
    comes out every year when it's 100 days to Christmas. Then the other bits and bobs, like the small tree and the crib come out about mid-late November.
    The Christmas tree generally arrives the last weekend of November, I try for about the 25th, as it means I get a full pre-Christmas month out of it. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What is your favourite christmas weather?

What do you put on top of your tree?

What was your favorite christmas decoration as a kid?

Moonbeam wrote: »

Cold and crisp. I've never been afraid to admit that I hate snow!

A star goes on top of my tree every year. :)

I don't really remember a particular one! I know we had silver baubles with coloured spots on them that I was quite fond of.
    We also made paper chains in school that I recall enjoying greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Do you prefer an artificial or a real tree?
    Do you prefer to give gifts or receive them?
    Do you have any traditions during the holidays?
    :)

IrishGurll wrote: »
    Artificial- I've never had a real tree, actually.

Giving! I love buying people presents and hoping that they'll really like them. :D

I try and have an evening where I'll go and look around the Dublin Christmas market.
    The first day of Christmas FM is always very exciting. I wake up and wait in anticipation for them to start broadcasting.
    I also generally make it to town for one of the days the lights are turned on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well hellooo!

1) When does Christmas "start" for you? Like, when you finish work for the break, when you start cooking, or when?

2) Is there anywhere you'd like to see for the Christmas period?

3) Do you wear anything special on Christmas Day?

4) Do you have a favourite carol?

Well hellooo!

1) When does Christmas "start" for you? Like, when you finish work for the break, when you start cooking, or when?

-When I get my Christmas count-down snowman down from the attic at the '100 days to go' mark. :D
    -My first visit to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop. Because, as a rule, it's the first festive place I've been!
    -Also, once the lights in Dublin city centre are starting to be put up. I cannot walk down O'Connell Street/Henry Street/Wicklow Street/Grafton Street etc and see the Christmas lights without feeling all warm and fuzzy.
    I was often amazed how I'd walk down plain and boring Grafton Street on my way home from work and the following morning the lights would be up! As if by magic. :pac:

I'd like to go to Salzberg or Vienna or somewhere in Germany and experience a real Christmas market, with all the lovely cinnamonny Christmassy smells.

A Christmas jumper! \o/
    Back in the day, before such garments, it would just be a red jumper.
    Oh, and a pair of Christmas earrings are a must too.

Hmmm... Joy to the World and Ding Dong Merrily on High are both ones I enjoy a lot. I like cheery carols. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Do you prefer Christmas nights out or Christmas nights in?

Do you prefer Christmas nights out or Christmas nights in?
    Generally nights in.
    I do like a few Christmas nights out but it's definitely not 'party season' for me. I prefer being inside, in a woolly jumper, with the heat on and a take-away!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You've been asked to cook a three course Christmas Dinner, there are no menu limitations, what do you cook?

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Hi Posy!!:D

What was your best Christmas ever? Why?

Who's your favorite reindeer?

Do you have pets and do you dress them up??

What are your fave/least fave colours at Christmas?

Would you like to visit the Christmas markets around Europe?

Why do you not like snow????:eek:

Any special customs?

Hardest person to buy for?

What would you like Santa to deliver this Christmas?

Are you looking forward to the new series of Downton??

Cheers;)

Loughc wrote: »
    You've been asked to cook a three course Christmas Dinner, there are no menu limitations, what do you cook?
    Starter-no idea! I don't really eat starters! Probably just melon balls and fruit segments.

Main course- Free range bronze turkey, ham glazed with honey, mustard and whiskey, cranberry and orange stuffing, sage and onion stuffing and pork stuffing balls, creamy mash with chives, roast potatoes, croquette potatoes, brussel sprouts lightly stir-fried with some bacon and sesame seeds and honey roasted parsnips.

Dessert- Christmas sponge cake (iced to look festive, but without the horror of fruit cake under the icing! and as an alternative, lemon meringue pie and cream.
    Of course, later there will be a Christmas pudding to saturate with alcohol and set on fire! :D

Grid. wrote: »

Why do you not like snow????:eek:

Any special customs?

Cheers;)
    I can't pick just one!! :eek:

Blitzen or Vixen. Sometimes I have my doubts about the reindeer- nasty bullies to poor Rudolph, then sucking up to him once he got them out of a tight spot. Fickle.

Not any more. :(
    But when I did have my beloved cat, I dressed him in a little Santa outfit, and oh my god, he was adorable!! He also got vast quantities of turkey as compensation.

Red and green of course. Nice and festive!!

Hell, yeah!!!

Why do you not like snow????
    Where do I start!? Okay, it's nice and photogenic. Looks good on TV and in Christmas films. But the CHAOS it causes in this country! Maybe it'd be better if I lived in Germany or somewhere, where people can cope with it. Then it turns into slush- which gives you cold wet feet, and then ice- which makes people fall over and injure themselves.
    See my post here for more reasons.

Any special customs?
    No more than I've mentioned really. Seeing the lights get switched on, baileys on Christmas day, going to the (crap!) Dublin Christmas market, lighting the Christmas log on Christmas eve and the pudding on Christmas day!

My aunt. She's feckin' impossible to buy for!! My uncle's not the easiest either, but he's less vocal about being disappointed! :pac:

A doggie would be nice!

Of course. You gotta love Downton! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks Posy! Another great thread and answers! Thanks to everyone who asked questions!

Advertisement