Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts for Season 5 (NON-Book Readers)

• 02-07-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭

Well to say sh!t went down last season is an understatement, and this is the first season I can think off where we are going into a new season not really knowing where alot stands (usually Episode 10 gave us a bit of perspective).
    • As Davos said when trying get money from Iron Bank - Kings Landing is bangjaxed if anything should happen to Tywin. Tommin to marry Margeary prob go ahead but Cersei and Lorrane wedding is certainly off? Surely Cersei won't be too pleased with Jamie for letting Tyrion go free..
    • Tyrion and Varys also fecking off- hoping they remain seen characters next season (I miss Gendry and I miss the Brotherhood Without Banners).
    • Surely Dorne will be seen this season with it mentioned so much, plus Marcella (Cercesis daughter) is down in Dorne - can't see a half (well full) Lannister being to popular in those parts after what happened Oberyn.
    • Is the Mountain dead? Is the Hound dead? (are those my feet?)
    • What now for Dany? She lost control of one dragon and her other two have been locked up. What is she without her dragons really? Plus with children being burnt by them, some slaves wanting to go back as slaves and some decent nobles crucified - can feel there be something is going to go down.
    • Will Jorah finally get the ride of someone?
    • Ayra is fecking off to Bravos to see Jaq (although I still think she could be heading to The Wall). Not sure what is happening there.
    • Little Finger and Sansa in Eerie must surely go somewhere - will they act as puppet masters to Robyn (Guessing to fight The Boltons). But will they recognise Stannis as the rightful King?
    • Didn't like how Red Witch was looking at Jon end of season 4 - what plans does she have?
    • Ramsay was a psychopath last 2 seasons. Now he is a psychopath with the Bolton name - who knows what he will do with power?

Gonna be a long 10 months lads:(:o:(

Anyone have any mad theories as to what they think will go down? (Non-Book readers only please lads, ye Book readers know what will happen, cheers:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

My hopes for season 5

- Danys actually does something other than sitting on her seat and talking to her subjects
    - A serious battle for Kings Landing
    - The Whitewalkers actually show up and have something substantial to add to the program. Remember at the end of season 1, a rake of them went by someone as though they were marching to the wall.....they never arrived, where are they??
    - Aryea finds someone from her family, either Jon Snow or Sansa, shes been on her own long enough but has turned into one mean young woman
    - I want to see what the mountain is going to turn into..."Is it going to make him weaker?" "Weaker? <smiles>, no not weaker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Not gonna happen but I'd love if they extended the season to 15 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

I wanna see the mountain turn into a little teddy bear whos afraid of everything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

I know Arya is going to Bravos to see Jac H'ghar, but why?
    What is she hoping to gain from going to see him?
    And why did the ships captain have such a reaction when Arya showed him the coin?

SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭golfball37

Junior D wrote: »
    I know Arya is going to Bravos to see Jac H'ghar, but why?
    What is she hoping to gain from going to see him?
    And why did the ships captain have such a reaction when Arya showed him the coin?

SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

So she can learn how to be a faceless assassin like him is what I thought.

Jaqan told her to show that coin to anyone from Braavos if she wished to see him again, its like a carrying card for assassins I'm presuming?

She needs training so she can take out her enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

golfball37 wrote: »
    So she can learn how to be a faceless assassin like him is what I thought.

Jaqan told her to show that coin to anyone from Braavos if she wished to see him again, its like a carrying card for assassins I'm presuming?

She needs training so she can take out her enemies.

I'd guess Jaq would help her get settled or something? dunno if she is gonna train to become a faceless assassin? AGH! That could mean that Maisie Williams won't be in it at some point if she able to change face like Jaq..?! Ayra may as well die if she is not Maisie :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

A few minor thoughts on the story myself.

Firstly, I can see Kings Landing turning to shíte with Tywin gone and Cersei (presumably) taking the reins. We already saw from the advice she gave Tyrion in season 2 that she would be a terrible leader.

Secondly, the Stark children are in very good places at the minute.
    Sansa could have the Vale behind her if she plays her cards right, and that constitutes a full army as they never took a part of the previous war.
    Arya is presumably learning to be a faceless assassin, and even if not she's turning into a very capable killer.
    Bran is a warg, and could potentially control dragons. If not, he certainly does have some sort of power that could be very advantageous.

Thirdly, things are looking good for Stannis, as Dany has chained up her dragons and he'll more than likely have 100,000 strong army to add to his own.

And finally, Dany looks to be going the same way as Ned Stark. Too noble for her own good. Wouldn't miss her anyway, storyline has been boring for almost 2 seasons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Heard this on the news today (I'll spoiler because I'm not sure if people want to hear):
    They'll be shooting for a major part of season 5 in southern Spain (Seville I think). Would this likely mean we'll get to see Dorne now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

THFC wrote: »
    A few minor thoughts on the story myself.

Firstly, I can see Kings Landing turning to shíte with Tywin gone and Cersei (presumably) taking the reins. We already saw from the advice she gave Tyrion in season 2 that she would be a terrible leader.

Thirdly, things are looking good for Stannis, as Dany has chained up her dragons and he'll more than likely have 100,000 strong army to add to his own.

Is it really looking that good for Stannis? Sure Kings Landing is in a power vacuum of a sort but isn't it also broke with no gold coming from Lannister lands. So (how) does that threaten Stannis' ability to repay the Iron bank loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The mountain will awake not too unlike Hordor

• Advertisement

Mr Snack wrote: »
    Where is that man that Varys had delivered in a nailed box in season 3? What happened to him?
    It was never shown but it was implied that Vary's was going to slowly torture him to death (he was the guy who cut off Vary's meat and two veg).

Mr Snack wrote: »
    Yeah knew he did that. Wonder what happened to him?
    Got his own bits cut off and fed to him piece by piece?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

This maybe a question more for book readers but..

How many seasons have we potientally got left?
    Like how many books are there and and where is the tv series storywise compared to the books(like what book number)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    This maybe a question more for book readers but..

How many seasons have we potientally got left?
    Like how many books are there and and where is the tv series storywise compared to the books(like what book number)

There are currently five books - Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. The next novel is titled the Winds of Winter, and there is also a seventh novel title A Dream of Spring.

The first couple of series basically followed the plot of the first couple of books - but, at the end of season 4, we have not covered all of the events of book 4, and we HAVE covered some of the events in book 5. There have also been a couple of additions and diversions.

So, we probably have three seasons left. But those last two would be on as of yet non-existent books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Season one and two pretty much follow the first two books of the series. Book three, A Storm of Swords, is split between seasons three and four. Some parts of book four, five, and even the unreleased The Winds of Winter have been used too.

Very nice chart here showing what chapters have been used so far:

http://i.imgur.com/lceExOP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Benioff & Weiss are reckoning 8 seasons, so that's what I'd expect - unless HBO cut them short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Season 5 trailer:

It is taken from the IMAX showings, but it is of decent quality and worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Come on HBO, dammit!

Don't want to watch the trailer in crappovision. Now that it's leaked, release the proper quality one. Hurry up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Non crappovision version from the offical facebook page,
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152715877082734

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Is that Varys at 0:16 buried up to his neck in the sand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

tricky D wrote: »
    Is that Varys at 0:16 buried up to his neck in the sand?

MMmmmm.

Don't think so.

head.jpg
    image posting

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

New trailer that shows quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'll just leave this here ...

o9c2npecl8gg6xuwvjkc.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

In retrospect it would have been amazing to get 15 episode seasons for the series considering how fast they've approached the cliff, why not stretch it?

A season a book, should have been 1/1/2 to 2 seasons for each book.

Granted they'd have to work 300+days a year to do it and have no life for the crews and actors/actresses ala the LOTR crew during 98-2003. It would be colossal even for a movie series never mind TV. The fame would drive up subscriptions and they could could afford to do even more, they're rolling in it as it is.

Could you imagine in the alternative 2025 buying the 15 season historic HBO Magnum Opus for 600 euro on Blu Ray? LOL

That's if HBO wouldn't cut it by season 10, they're making a mid budget fantasy movie every year essentially as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Just over 2 and a half weeks to go but who's counting eh?

The writers have confirmed that season 5 will contain spoilers from as of yet unwritten books in the series. The TV show is ploughing on and the ending will be seen by viewers years before readers.

Martin has agreed to this.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Martin had very little choice in this I'd say considering the snails pace he writes the books at, and the contract with HBO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Probably better in a different thread but i know Martin has told them how he plans to end the books but is there anything there to stop him changing his mind. Like he's got to be pissed regardless of how much they paid him that someone else is going to finish telling his story ya know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

George R.R. Martin determined to finish new 'Thrones' book by 2016

I can't remember what happened in S4, the bloody gaps in between seasons is to big, I'd have to watch it again. I still don't know main character names and what was the story with those Glowy Eye Ice fellas and that Baby? I found myself confused a few times.

Great show to pick up when it'd be all finished...but feck this, I'll not watch S5. They're making a tits of it.

Advertisement