Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-09-2010, 21:39   #1
morning delight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 154
Internal wall options

I was in an industrial unit last week and noticed the simplest of internal walls. A basic timber frame with plasterboard nailed on to it. Looks ok but I wouldn't fancy leaning too much against it!

So it got me thinking what internal wall options are there? Particularly basic options for a work area is what I've in mind.
morning delight is offline  
Advertisement
23-09-2010, 21:59   #2
plasteritup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
timber stud partitions would be the norm,with plasterboard and skim finish,really depends on what you want and where it is going,what will be fixed to it etc.strength wise,if the timber work is good it should not be a problem.
plasteritup is offline  
15-09-2013, 04:49   #3
cheif kaiser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 172
I know this is an old thread but I have the same question.. What are the options for internal walls in an extension ? I am not a fan of stud walls at all, are these the norm in all extensions ? Are they usually soundproofed ? Is it possible to have solid internal walls built and if so what is the cost difference ? Any advice appreciated.
cheif kaiser is offline  
24-09-2013, 09:42   #4
recipio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheif kaiser View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have the same question.. What are the options for internal walls in an extension ? I am not a fan of stud walls at all, are these the norm in all extensions ? Are they usually soundproofed ? Is it possible to have solid internal walls built and if so what is the cost difference ? Any advice appreciated.
Ditto. I am looking at purchasing a half finished house but all the internal walls are timber studs at present. Can you rip them out and put 4" solid block wall on a concrete slab floor. ?
recipio is offline  
24-09-2013, 10:08   #5
kilclon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 168
See here

Block wall will be a bit more expensive and take longer to build. More difficult to move if you want to change layout and requires a more substantial foundation. It will depend on the depth of the existing slab and its build up as to whether or not it will provide adequate foundation.
To chief kaiser, if you don't like stud walls you can easily substitute for concrete blocks. Both have their limitations and advantages.
kilclon is offline  
Advertisement
24-09-2013, 10:16   #6
recipio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilclon View Post
See here

Block wall will be a bit more expensive and take longer to build. More difficult to move if you want to change layout and requires a more substantial foundation. It will depend on the depth of the existing slab and its build up as to whether or not it will provide adequate foundation.
To chief kaiser, if you don't like stud walls you can easily substitute for concrete blocks. Both have their limitations and advantages.
Thanks.
I just hate the hollow sound of stud walls and sound insulation is my main concern. Is there a lightweight block available in say 4" with good sound insulation properties. ?
recipio is offline  
24-09-2013, 10:23   #7
Markcheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by recipio View Post
Thanks.
I just hate the hollow sound of stud walls and sound insulation is my main concern. Is there a lightweight block available in say 4" with good sound insulation properties. ?
Quinlite blocks are available , bit they're pricey... Don't know what the story would be with foundations for that...
Markcheese is offline  
25-09-2013, 01:13   #8
cheif kaiser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
Quinlite blocks are available , bit they're pricey... Don't know what the story would be with foundations for that...
I was looking at aircrete blocks as an option but as you say they seem to be expensive but I am wondering if by the time you install a decent sound barrier in a stud wall, would the cost difference be all that great? I would also imagine that the aircrete blocks would be easier to move if at a later stage you decided to change the layout?
cheif kaiser is offline  
26-09-2013, 13:55   #9
bigreddog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
you could also build a staggered stud wall - to reduce sound transmittance (decoupled wall construction).
easy, and cheap to do - but you would end up with a thicker wall than with straight 4x2s
bigreddog is offline  
Advertisement
26-09-2013, 22:59   #10
Andrew_Doran
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheif kaiser View Post
I was looking at aircrete blocks as an option but as you say they seem to be expensive but I am wondering if by the time you install a decent sound barrier in a stud wall, would the cost difference be all that great? I would also imagine that the aircrete blocks would be easier to move if at a later stage you decided to change the layout?
I'm no expert but in my limited experience aerated blocks like Quinnlites are fragile and shatter, crack and chip easily. I don't know if you'd have much joy in re-using them.
Andrew_Doran is offline  
27-09-2013, 06:29   #11
cheif kaiser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Doran View Post
I'm no expert but in my limited experience aerated blocks like Quinnlites are fragile and shatter, crack and chip easily. I don't know if you'd have much joy in re-using them.
Sorry I worded that badly! I didn't mean to reuse them, I meant to remove them and build wall elsewhere i.e. It would be easier to take down than a concrete block wall.
cheif kaiser is offline  
28-09-2013, 16:31   #12
Markcheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheif kaiser View Post
Sorry I worded that badly! I didn't mean to reuse them, I meant to remove them and build wall elsewhere i.e. It would be easier to take down than a concrete block wall.
Same process to demolish , same mess , same dust ... Lighter wheelbarrow hauling stuff out to skip ..
Depending on the noise you're keeping out you could just put some acoustic insulation in the stud wall(that's what we did in the tv room) ,and
possibly double slab it,
Markcheese is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet