Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Pegmatite - really sorry to hear you have to pull out, Im sure you'll come back better and stronger next year:)

Ososlo - WOW thats an amazing distance to be up to already! Delighted it went well for you! How many 20+ milers are you planning if you dont mind me asking?

This is my step back week & next week LSR will be 16m so might pick up a gel to try on that run:pac:

Hope anyone running the R&R 1/2 Marathon this morning enjoyed it, was late to work this morning cos of yas ha;)

Hi shortstuff. You're doing fab yourself! Good luck for the 16 and the gel practice!
    My plan currently has 3 x 20 mile runs and doesn't go beyond that but that might change. The boardsie who put it together for me tends to change it as I progress to see what I can handle so I may or may not go to 22. Not sure yet. But I've read that your longest lsr should equate to the time you plan on running on the day so maybe I should go to 22 or so. Hoping to do around 4 hours on the day but not too bothered if it takes me longer as I really wanna enjoy the first and race the next one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Ran the RnR Dublin Half marathon this morning - really enjoyed the experience. Atmosphere was great and the weather this morning was perfect. Had been worried all yesterday as I had a niggle at the back of my knee, felt very very weak and was thinking I'd have to pull out. Rested well last night and when I got up this morning it was fine. Awaiting official chip time but its looking around 1:44:40 which I'm chuffed with as my dream target was 1:45 but had been talking to friends and family about a target of 1:50.

Now I can officially start my Marathon training plan - but really feel like the advice found here and following a plan for the Half absolutely paid its rewards. I'd ran all my LSRs around 70-80 secs slower than my HM pace, and my midweek runs 35 secs slower.

donnacha wrote: »
    Ran the RnR Dublin Half marathon this morning - really enjoyed the experience. Atmosphere was great and the weather this morning was perfect. Had been worried all yesterday as I had a niggle at the back of my knee, felt very very weak and was thinking I'd have to pull out. Rested well last night and when I got up this morning it was fine. Awaiting official chip time but its looking around 1:44:40 which I'm chuffed with as my dream target was 1:45 but had been talking to friends and family about a target of 1:50.

Now I can officially start my Marathon training plan - but really feel like the advice found here and following a plan for the Half absolutely paid its rewards. I'd ran all my LSRs around 70-80 secs slower than my HM pace, and my midweek runs 35 secs slower.

That is a FANTASTIC time:) Well done donnacha. That's a big difference between what you thought you might get and what you got!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi shortstuff. You're doing fab yourself! Good luck for the 16 and the gel practice!
    My plan currently has 3 x 20 mile runs and doesn't go beyond that but that might change. The boardsie who put it together for me tends to change it as I progress to see what I can handle so I may or may not go to 22. Not sure yet. But I've read that your longest lsr should equate to the time you plan on running on the day so maybe I should go to 22 or so. Hoping to do around 4 hours on the day but not too bothered if it takes me longer as I really wanna enjoy the first and race the next one:D

Thanks! Planning the next one already, fair play to you:) Yeah definately going to enjoy this one too or there mightnt be a next one!! That sounds good- great that your plan adapts with you & your progress

Brilliant running Donnacha! Well done, your dead right to be chuffed:)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Planning the next one already, fair play to you:) Yeah definately going to enjoy this one too or there mightnt be a next one!! That sounds good- great that your plan adapts with you & your progress
    ha ha lol:D Course there'll be a next one! Many many more! We're only starting out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Great running Donacha, Thats a great time. Im really hoping to break the 1h50 in the Athlone HM in a few weeks, My best HM to date has been 1h54 so I really hope that I can shave 5mins off that as I feel I will be better prepared come the Athlone HM (Fingers crossed I stay injury free) As the miles pile up I am becoming more and more paranoid about injury.

On a related note its amazing how much diet can have an affect on your training, have been quite poorly disciplined the past few days with bad food and a night on the tiles on Saturday night - it took its toll on my 10k run today, felt tired and lethargic and I put it purely down to diet. Last few weeks I have watched what I ate and drank and did 22km on Saturday morning and felt great

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

pegmatite - sorry to hear it.

Well done donnacha - great time.

Think this was the first week I hit my required number of miles - have been a few short other weeks. Did 14mile lsr on friday and used a high5 gel at 7 miles. I finished strong and able for more.

Just a question on the 17 mile lsr the week before the frank duffy 10 mile - would the legs be fully recovered to race this? I know everyone is different but in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just a question on the 17 mile lsr the week before the frank duffy 10 mile - would the legs be fully recovered to race this? I know everyone is different but in general.

Ya it'll be grand. You might run a faster 10m race if you'd tapered properly etc but it's not the main thing*

* Boards A/R forum mantra copyright Runningking

"the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ya it'll be grand. You might run a faster 10m race if you'd tapered properly etc but it's not the main thing*

* Boards A/R forum mantra copyright Runningking

"the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing"

Well done young lady...........I feel a title log change coming on!!

• Advertisement

only 12 weeks to go :eek: how did that happen so quickly:confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So my first week of official marathon training is done. I've just transitioned into HHN1 from a half marathon plan but that plan is in a recovery week whereas I'm not. Did 10 miles LSR yesterday morning in 1h 47 min. Will get the distances up to 14m over the next 2 weeks.

I think my legs are much better now and I'm beginning to get used to the warmth. It was also my first run with a water belt. I'm still behind the boards plan but am aiming for a hybrid of that and HHN1.

Things getting real now.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Ran Rock N roll 1/2 Marathon yesterday which was my longest run this year. Really enjoyed it, great atmosphere, great weather. I'm glad I was able to run it in 1h45, I was controlling the pace and felt pretty easy all long. Of course my legs were a bit tired the last 3-4k haven't been running more than 18k in the last few months. But I'm confident in September I could run the HM in 1h40 given the fact I started slowly ( i was scared of damaging my achilles) was walking at almost every water stations( hate cups, can't run while drinking with those!) and I did 10k in 44min back in June. The ultimate goal is DCM 2013 I'm on track if I want to run it within 3h45min. Now I can give a call to my Physio and tell him my Achilles is good after 21km at a good pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Congrats to everyone on the long runs over the week and the results of the RnR 1/2!

I am sick and it is very frustrating. I haven't run since Thursday and I feel awful. I have a suspicion that I have been pushing myself a little to hard with Gym,running and work so I am going to need to watch this going forward to ensure I don't run myself in to the ground. Its amazing how quickly I feel like my fitness disappers but I'm sure that just goes with the territory when your not well. I'm sure it hasn't disapperaed just yet!

Hoping to head out for some miles tonight but won't be pushing it

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Ran the RnR yesterday - finished in 1h 51m. Am delighted.

Have spent this morning doing up my 12 week plan (taken straight from the plan here) with a few custom tweeks for upcoming races. I am 'skipping' this weeks LSR after the Half yesterday and I have the Streets of Galway 8K this Saturday.

Well done to everyone else who took part. I'm excited now to be joining in with the weekly plans.

Question - What have people planned in terms of races between now and the Marathon? I'm thinking:

* 1 Half in September
    * Athlone 3/4 early October

quinlivan wrote: »
    Question - What have people planned in terms of races between now and the Marathon? I'm thinking:

* 1 Half in September

Ive the same planned, kinda want to do a 10km as well, just because my PB needs sorting:D I did the lakes 10km last September & was a great race... but its a week before the 1/2 and due a 19miler that day so not sure what to do, dont like messing with the plan:confused: Thinking I could do the LSR early on the Friday (happen to be off work), followed by an ice bath & hope for the best for the 10km!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I'm in a serious case of "I need to get the finger out!!" I did the Clontarf Half 3 weeks back which was a disaster for me,, the heat on the day was hellish, then followed that with 2 weeks away of doing nothing but eating and drinking.

I've only managed to do two 5kms in 3 weeks.. ahhhh!!! I now feel my fitness has dropped well back and the holiday weight it staying put... I know procrastinating will not help!!!
    Someone please reassure me I can do this!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

* 1 Half in September

I'm entered for the Athlone HM on Sept 14th, however I won't be racing it. Based on my plan over the next 12 weeks its a step back weekend that week and I want to be focused on the ultimate goal of completing a marathon so I'll probably run it at Marathon Pace rather than HM pace if that makes sense? In my head I'm thinking I should be running the Marathon at 30/40 secs slower per mile than what I was running the HM. Actually any advice on this strategy that I've made up would also be appreciated :confused:

Had great intentions to sign up for the 3/4 in Athlone also but have a clash that weekend with a family event so I'll need to just do a 20m LSR that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cluainbolg

Haven't posted in ages trainings going well long runs up to 10 mile plan to move up to13 mile next weekend best of luck to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

* 1 Half in September

street of Galway 8k next week
    HM around the end of the month
    Possibly another HM end sept(Galway bay half)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Dow99 wrote: »
    I'm in a serious case of "I need to get the finger out!!" I did the Clontarf Half 3 weeks back which was a disaster for me,, the heat on the day was hellish, then followed that with 2 weeks away of doing nothing but eating and drinking.

I've only managed to do two 5kms in 3 weeks.. ahhhh!!! I now feel my fitness has dropped well back and the holiday weight it staying put... I know procrastinating will not help!!!
    Someone please reassure me I can do this!!!!!!

Are you following any training plan?

If so, then you really need to continue it according to the current week and start today!

Skipping all those runs could affect your stamina and desired LSR pace as you most likely missed out on running 50+ miles over those 2 weeks.

Plus with only 12 weeks to go, you have to consider that you need to practice taking gels, you have the footwear that will get through the training and marathon.

Best of luck restarting the training.

* 1 Half in September

doing 10 mile in Phoenix Park in 2.5 weeks and the Half in the park in September. Thinking of sneaking in a parkrun instead of one of my sessions some week too just to keep in touch with my "speed":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Been a while since I posted, managed ot get a new pair of runners in Amphibian King in Ballymount and have to highly recommend the guys there! great service and attention to detail!. Ended up getting a pair of Saucony Progrid Omni 11 as I am an over pronator and they provided the most correction for my running style, They also noted that I had weak hip muscles and this was causing my left leg to over pronate more than the right!

Have clocked up 39km since I got them last Sunday week and apart from a small blister on my heel on my second run (10km @5:30 per K) they are perfect for me.

In terms of races I have planned I have the following in mind but apart from the Carlow half all are subject to be cut if I feel they are going to interfere with training too much.
    • 4 Mile Rockford Rooftile on Aug 24th
    • Carlow Half Marathon on Sept 1st
    • 10km part of the Moone kilomarathon on Sept 28th

I'm entered for the Athlone HM on Sept 14th, however I won't be racing it. Based on my plan over the next 12 weeks its a step back weekend that week and I want to be focused on the ultimate goal of completing a marathon so I'll probably run it at Marathon Pace rather than HM pace if that makes sense? In my head I'm thinking I should be running the Marathon at 30/40 secs slower per mile than what I was running the HM. Actually any advice on this strategy that I've made up would also be appreciated :confused:

Had great intentions to sign up for the 3/4 in Athlone also but have a clash that weekend with a family event so I'll need to just do a 20m LSR that weekend.

If you put your recent race result into this calculator http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ it'll tell you the different paces for the different length races. Difference for me between half marathon and marathon pace is 30 seconds per mile.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    street of Galway 8k next week
    HM around the end of the month
    Possibly another HM end sept(Galway bay half)

I'm the same. Doing the Streets of Galway this weekend and was looking at the Galway Bay Half (but it's pricey enough). Think the Athlone 3/4 looks good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Just the race series 10 mile and half marathon. And maybe the odd parkrun. I did lots of racing earlier in the year so now concentrating on distance and stamina rather than speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Whats everyones thoughts on the Athlone 3/4. If you are just treating it as a 20mile MP run than is it worth doing??

I'm undecided given its proximity to the race itself as I would worry about the recovery time afterwards for the Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

shayno90 wrote: »
    Are you following any training plan?

If so, then you really need to continue it according to the current week and start today!

Skipping all those runs could affect your stamina and desired LSR pace as you most likely missed out on running 50+ miles over those 2 weeks.

Plus with only 12 weeks to go, you have to consider that you need to practice taking gels, you have the footwear that will get through the training and marathon.

Best of luck restarting the training.

I've completed 5 HM over the last 2 years, I really just need to get back in gear! I'm use to taking gels and I have a 2nd pair of kayano's that I've yet to break in, so I'm prepared in that sense.
    I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice 1 - I think I should be able to slot in where I should be in the training plan, but I really need to concentrate and dedicate myself for the next 12 weeks!!! Its getting squeaky bum time :eek: !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm the same. Doing the Streets of Galway this weekend and was looking at the Galway Bay Half (but it's pricey enough). Think the Athlone 3/4 looks good too.

I know what you mean, I've been going through it in my head fior a while now... The Galway one is pricey alright, but when I weigh it all up, hasstle free, local, no travel time, no petrol costs :). I think I'll go with it. Heard great things about athlone 3/4 but I realistically can see myself being recovered after racing it... Just my thoughts on it anyway...
    Have a good run on sat, should be a good one :)

Advertisement