Renewing a British passport from Ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2013, 21:07   #1
jessiedan

Renewing a British passport from Ireland

Hi everyone,
Hoping somebody can help me, my partner who is British is trying to renew his passport and we're a bit confused about the forms. He went into the embassy today but apparently they don't deal with passports there anymore, your only option is to download a form and post it off.
So we were just wondering in section 2 of form C1 it says if you were born in the UK after December 31st 1982 you need to fill out your parents details such as name date of and place of birth.
Does anybody know if you still need to complete this section of the form if you're only renewing your passport?

If anybody here has previously completed this form and has any advice I'd really appreciate it

Thanks in advance
JD
Advertisement
26-06-2013, 23:00   #2
Fratton Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiedan View Post
Hi everyone,
Hoping somebody can help me, my partner who is British is trying to renew his passport and we're a bit confused about the forms. He went into the embassy today but apparently they don't deal with passports there anymore, your only option is to download a form and post it off.
So we were just wondering in section 2 of form C1 it says if you were born in the UK after December 31st 1982 you need to fill out your parents details such as name date of and place of birth.
Does anybody know if you still need to complete this section of the form if you're only renewing your passport?

If anybody here has previously completed this form and has any advice I'd really appreciate it

Thanks in advance
JD
have you downloaded the information document as well? that usually explains in detail what you need to do for each question.

It is mad though, I took my daughters there a few weeks ago and they wouldn't even let me leave it, you have to post it in. It took about three weeks to get it back and it ain't flippin cheap either.
26-06-2013, 23:05   #3
SCOOP 64

Also need to renew my one ,but keep putting off because fo the price very expensive, would it be easier trying for a irish one?
Thanks from:
27-06-2013, 09:34   #4
jessiedan

Fratton Fred - I downloaded the notes but to be honest it didn't say anything about renewing a passport it seems to be all based on getting a first time passport.
I tried to call the embassy as I thought they might know from dealing with passports previously even though they don't do it now but I was passed to 3 people who all told me they don't deal with it & I had to call a premium rate number.
It just seems silly that there is nowhere that you can go abnd actually speak to somebody who could help with the form.

Scoop 64 - I don't know if it'll be any easier but we did look into getting an Irish passport and it's actually 950 euro to get an Irish passport
I knew it would be more expensive but didn't think it would be that much
27-06-2013, 09:41   #5
UMMMM

I hold a british passport through the embassy and yes you do need to fill that part out when renewing your passport/ I did when renewing mine the last time born 1983. Remember also you need a "proffesional" who is not related the sign the photos.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2013, 13:09   #6
jessiedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMMMM View Post
I hold a british passport through the embassy and yes you do need to fill that part out when renewing your passport/ I did when renewing mine the last time born 1983. Remember also you need a "proffesional" who is not related the sign the photos.
Thanks for that ummmm probably just best to fill everything in as if it's the first time then
27-06-2013, 13:48   #7
schemingbohemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiedan View Post
Fratton Fred - I downloaded the notes but to be honest it didn't say anything about renewing a passport it seems to be all based on getting a first time passport.
I tried to call the embassy as I thought they might know from dealing with passports previously even though they don't do it now but I was passed to 3 people who all told me they don't deal with it & I had to call a premium rate number.
It just seems silly that there is nowhere that you can go abnd actually speak to somebody who could help with the form.

Scoop 64 - I don't know if it'll be any easier but we did look into getting an Irish passport and it's actually 950 euro to get an Irish passport
I knew it would be more expensive but didn't think it would be that much
The €950 is only where you are being granted citizenship - if you were born in Northern Ireland you will by birth be entitled to an Irish Passport, if you were born in the rest of the United Kingdom and are entitled through the birthplace of your parents or grandparents being Ireland then again the normal costs apply. If you don't qualify under those circumstances then you have to go through the citizenship qualification which costs €950.
27-06-2013, 15:38   #8
jessiedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schemingbohemia View Post
The €950 is only where you are being granted citizenship - if you were born in Northern Ireland you will by birth be entitled to an Irish Passport, if you were born in the rest of the United Kingdom and are entitled through the birthplace of your parents or grandparents being Ireland then again the normal costs apply. If you don't qualify under those circumstances then you have to go through the citizenship qualification which costs €950.
Thanks so much for that reply I'll get him to look into that
Thanks from:
27-06-2013, 17:48   #9
Fratton Fred

Quote:
I kept a pdf of the application so I had a look. I filled it in, I think on the basis that too much info was better than not enough.

It's a horrible form.
Advertisement
27-06-2013, 20:50   #10
zoeenya

Hey! I need to renew mine, i have a british one and its outta date, wanna try get over to london before i have to head back to college, where do i download the forms??? Help seriously appreciated because i'm really confused.
27-06-2013, 22:15   #11
barnabybear

Quote:
Remember also you need a "proffesional" who is not related the sign the photos.
You don't normally need a countersignature when renewing a British passport.

"If you are renewing your passport and your appearance has not significantly changed since your
last passport you will not normally need to get your form countersigned.
" -- Form C1 notes.

Last edited by barnabybear; 28-06-2013 at 00:16.
27-06-2013, 22:20   #12
rubberdungeon

Renew a British passport!

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport
27-06-2013, 23:30   #13
UMMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabybear View Post
You don't normally need a countersignature when renewing a British passport.
Section 9 of the application C1 is a countersignature and has a place to put previous passport number. So I did as did my family and the applications were processed might have been unnecessary but better safe than sorry on these things.
28-06-2013, 11:00   #14
schemingbohemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeenya View Post
Hey! I need to renew mine, i have a british one and its outta date, wanna try get over to london before i have to head back to college, where do i download the forms??? Help seriously appreciated because i'm really confused.
If you are a British or Irish Citizen then unless you're travelling with Ryanair you don't need a passport - just have some other ID with you.
28-06-2013, 11:31   #15
barnabybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schemingbohemia View Post
If you are a British or Irish Citizen then unless you're travelling with Ryanair you don't need a passport - just have some other ID with you.
I guess that zoeenya is heading for London because it's much cheaper to renew a British passport in the UK (£72.50+) than in Ireland (€182)?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion