Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2013, 20:33   #1
Plesicon

Ferguson TEF 20 Injector pump?

Hi, Can anyone please give any advice on my TEF 20, I rebuilt the entire engine a couple of years back, today I checked the engine oil, it was full to the brim with what appears to be oil and diesel. I checked the fuel pump and all is fine. Is this a sign that the injector pump is leaking fuel into the engine, if so is it possible to fix without swapping for an exchange unit as they are very expensive.

Any advice much appreciated, Thanks Mick
Advertisement
24-06-2013, 09:25   #2
Thelostcountry

Does it smell like diesel? Maybe turn off the fuel Tap on tank,when not in use.
24-06-2013, 09:38   #3
Plesicon

It only smells faintly of diesel, but the oil is very thin, but still nice and black, I also thought it could be water contamination, but that usually makes the oil cloudy.
24-06-2013, 20:49   #4
Thelostcountry

Have you a tap on the fuel tank?? the 35's have! I am not sure about 20's I would think so.

Replace the engine oil.
25-06-2013, 14:39   #5
TrailerBob

I cant see how diesel would get into the engine oil unless you have a serious leakage problem from the injectors down past the piston rings. I have rebuilt a couple of these engines. The diesel pump cannot leak into the block.

Does the tractor run? If so, how hard is it to start - would indicate if you have compression or injector issues.

Did it get a full rebuild i.e. piston rings, valves & seats, injector refurb etc?

If the injectors need work, its about €70 per injector. If its a compression problem, then its head off.. new head gasket and a set of piston rings. Its a straight forward job, but takes a bit of time. It may be worth checking the valves too.

If its just a working tractor, and runs ok, then disregard the above and just change the oil..
Advertisement
25-06-2013, 15:48   #6
Plesicon

I rubiult entire engine a couple of years back, new pistons, rings, liners, valves, and reground them. It starts well and runs fine, but with no oil pressure recently, thats when I checked the oil with dip stick and it was full as you can get it, about 1" below to dip stick hole. I drained the oil its very thin and smells of diesel. I was under the impression that if the pump was going it would leak down past the pistons and into the cam chamber, then out through the cam drive end into the timing cover etc.
26-06-2013, 17:16   #7
Attie

Plesicon
The seal on the hand pump has a tendency to go, on these hand pumps which lets the diesel get into the sump I have highlighted in black and red this seal very easy to replace.
The seal highlighted in black and white can be a problem to get to re seal again after opening just make sure it looks nice and round with no marking on the seal watch when tightening very easy to ring.
Hope this helps Attie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Massy-Pump.jpg (10.3 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Attie; 26-06-2013 at 17:43.
26-06-2013, 18:58   #8
Plesicon

Attie,
Its fit a new fuel pump along with rebuild, I have also stripped the pump and checked the diaphram, its fine. Today I refilled the engine oil, and ran it with the cover open on the injector pump to see if any diesel came down from the injector pistons - it didn't. So I am confused to haw that much diesel got into the engine oil. I will run it over next week or so and keep my eye on the engine oil level for going up. I will also turn off the fuel tap when not in use just to ensure nothing is trickling through.

Thanks Mick
26-06-2013, 19:55   #9
Thelostcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plesicon View Post
I will also turn off the fuel tap when not in use just to ensure nothing is trickling through.

Well it will not cost You anything ,to try My suggesstion.
Advertisement
13-07-2013, 13:15   #10
Attie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plesicon View Post
Attie,
Its fit a new fuel pump along with rebuild, I have also stripped the pump and checked the diaphram, its fine. Today I refilled the engine oil, and ran it with the cover open on the injector pump to see if any diesel came down from the injector pistons - it didn't. So I am confused to haw that much diesel got into the engine oil. I will run it over next week or so and keep my eye on the engine oil level for going up. I will also turn off the fuel tap when not in use just to ensure nothing is trickling through.

Thanks Mick
Well Mick
Did you get to the bottom of your diesel/oil problem ???.
Attie
16-07-2013, 17:43   #11
ramboraf

Ki-Gas on TEF

hey just a thought,try the Ki-Gas pump unit fitted on the dash ,it could be draining its tank into the inlet manifold if the seal is a bit knackered or its not turned off properly.some people say put paraffin in it but the handbook says same as in main tank which would be diesel.

Last edited by ramboraf; 16-07-2013 at 17:44. Reason: extra info
16-07-2013, 22:48   #12
Plesicon

Hi, Thanks for the idea, but mine has the Kigas removed, starts ok without. I use a little WD 40 injected into the manifold if its a really cold day, works fine.

Thanks Mick
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion