Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Photographer Profile] #17 * Art Deko

• 10-06-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am really chuffed to have been asked to do this. I was a long time lurker on boards before ever posting an image and I've been genuinely inspired by the quality of the photography that I see on a daily basis. So, here goes about me.
    My name is Greg Matthews. I’m 51 years of age and live in Palmerstown in Dublin. I’m self employed in a part time capacity after working for 26 years as a firefighter. Working part time means I get lots of photography time.

I consider myself relatively new to photography. For as long as I can remember I was always interested in art and over the years I’ve dabbled in painting and drawing but I never really got into it. Photography wise, growing up in the pre-digital era I did use point and shoot film cameras for taking the usual family holiday and Christmas snaps. Family and friends often remarked that I took nice photos and although I had a passing interest in photography I never thought about taking it up as a hobby. All that changed in 2010 when I bit the bullet and bought my first “proper” camera. After doing little or no research, I bought a Canon 1000D with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. It was only then that I realized that there was a lot more to photography than simply having a nice camera. I was taking nice photos but I still wasn’t getting the type of shots that I wanted to get. As with most beginners I couldn’t get my head around the technical aspects of, f stops, shutter speed and ISO. But at this stage I had generated enough interest in photography to try and learn how to use the camera to get the best results I could. In September of 2010 I did a beginners photography course. It was from then that the bug had started to bite. One of the tutors on the course told us that as photographers we would become control freaks in relation to the technical side of photography. I dismissed this and kept thinking that I didn’t want to know the technical stuff. All I just wanted to learn was how to take better photographs. Well I have to admit that I have now become a control freak. Although it can be frustrating at times, I love that struggle with balancing the camera setting to suit the light conditions to try and get that perfect shot.
    In November 2011 I eventually worked up the courage to drop in to my local camera club here in Palmerstown. The following week was the hand in for the monthly competition and I was encouraged to enter. I submitted two images and they finished bottom of the novice section but for me it was a fantastic experience and the bug had well and truly bitten at this stage. I loved getting the feedback on my shots and took on board the judges comments. I continued entering the monthly competitions and I was lucky enough to go on to win the novice of the year competition. The monthly competitions in the club pushed me to get out more with the camera and start trying to use the camera settings to get better shots. I now shoot in manual mode 99% of the time. From having previously dabbled in art, I had some understanding of composition and I’ve found this to be one of the most important aspects of photography. Composition is something that I’m always working on.

Here are some images that have done well in the camera club competitions.

My Parents.
    8520375588_e9a51fb426.jpg

8135293936_5e8761055f.jpg

8541910142_3a5891a10a.jpg

In November of 2012 I was successful in attaining my Licentiateship with the Irish Photographic Federation with this panel. For me it was a bit of a dream come true. I really never thought that my photography would ever be good enough to get an “L”.

8215800957_0b3c57d6a8_c.jpg

Another highlight for me last year was coming runner up in the National heritage photo competition with this photo of the staircase in Dublin City Hall.

8076347093_f2f147edba.jpg

I love taking photographs of everything and I'm always on the lookout for events that might be worth having a go at getting some images.

Zombie walk.
    7713786492_8b39840b50.jpg

Phoenix Park Motor racing.
    7821613986_d15b422228.jpg

Tall Ships
    7867473584_5bbbdff3a9.jpg

I also love trying Street Portraits

8125023229_4b2f061eab.jpg

9007066612_4cf5f5d331.jpg

Although I love taking photos of just about everything, I have noticed that I keep getting drawn back to nature and wildlife. As a kid I always had a quiet fascination with nature. That fascination has steadily grown since I took up photography and so getting out with the camera taking nature shots is just something that I love doing. A trip to the Saltee Islands last year opened up a whole new world for me. I’ve been there twice this year already and I’ve another trip planned for the end of the month.

8940269970_d99b1e9bb7.jpg

8946702641_017f744ace.jpg

Around this time last year I upgraded my camera equipment to a Canon 5D mark 2 with the kit 24-105mm lens. I also bought a 100mm L series macro lens which I simply love. For wildlife and nature I bought a secondhand 100-400mm and I’ve recently being trying out a Sigma 150-500mm lens. For landscapes I use a 17-40mm lens. I’ve also noticed that I’ve become a bit of a camera kit junkie and I’m constantly looking up and drooling over camera gear for sale.

Some Macro Shots with the 100mm
    8668503876_e10f055e02.jpg

8980535279_59625ce724.jpg

Friends have remarked to me that my success in photography over the last year is down to the work that I put into it. But for me, there is no work involved, It’s just a pure and simple pleasure.

I hope you have enjoyed getting to know a bit about me and my photography.

Here's the link to my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greg_matthews/

Thanks for reading this and I'll leave you with my latest fave photo.

8939658593_83fe6c8ddc.jpg

Greg (Art Deko)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Great stuff Greg, you photos are always top notch. Your post processing always very tidy too! Was wondering where you got the time, question answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭PhinglasPhil

It's always a pleasure to view your images. We never know what to expect next from you - your diversity and range of subject is quite wide.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

A lovely insight to your photography. I always enjoy looking at your images. Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭patrickc68

i've been amazed at every photo you have displayed here,,,,after reading your story i'm inspired how in such a sort time your up with the very best,,,,,
    well done,,and i look forward to seeing your future art

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Im a complete noob(only got my first DSLR a couple of months ago) so not the most qualified to pass judgement but, your photos on the random photos thread are among my favourites, and thats saying something as the quality on there is exceptionally high(to my eye at least).

Your macro shots especially are things of beauty.

Going to add you now as a contact on Flickr and have a good gander at your work.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bldwalsh

Your photography is quite stunning Greg. Really great work. Always enjoy viewing your images. Hope to see many more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

Greg, you're shots are always fantastic.

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭stevephoto

thanks for sharing. always an admirer of your photography. hope to get to your standards some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Great work Greg! It's very inspiring to hear that in such a short space of time you've accomplished so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

A great article Greg and great to see your fantastic work. I agree with an earlier post about your processing; no OTT Photoshop - just great photography.

Gerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Top notch work and a very enjoyable read, following you on flickr now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Inspiring work!!! Thanks for sharing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Thanks for sharing, some really nice work there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Your nature stuff is exceptional IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭MarkN

hi Greg - just noticed this thread now.

I also wondered what you worked at due to the amount of time you seem to have to visit far flung places :P

Many times you've posted a picture here or on Flickr and I've thought to myself damn I want to be able to shoot something like that. It was almost a relief to hear that you've done some training as I haven't yet and I feel like I can now improve with time/experience. :)

Please keep them coming!!

Advertisement