Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2013, 01:12   #16
silentrust
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaakev View Post
Chickens and rabbits, great preps if you have the space and not much work for alot of return
Their leavings make for wonderful compost as well as their use as food. Could you kill a rabbit or chicken though? I couldn't bear it!
Advertisement
02-06-2013, 01:19   #17
aaakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrust View Post
Their leavings make for wonderful compost as well as their use as food. Could you kill a rabbit or chicken though? I couldn't bear it!
Regularly do, I eat rabbit every week nearly because i hunt them and i eat phesent during the humting season when i can shoot them. Rabbit is one of the leanest meats you can get and it tastes great!

Iv offered it before so ill offer it again for any of the regulars on this forum, if you ever want to try your hand at hunting and learn what its about id be happy to bring ya out and let you try it out
02-06-2013, 02:29   #18
silentrust
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaakev View Post
Regularly do, I eat rabbit every week nearly because i hunt them and i eat phesent during the humting season when i can shoot them. Rabbit is one of the leanest meats you can get and it tastes great!

Iv offered it before so ill offer it again for any of the regulars on this forum, if you ever want to try your hand at hunting and learn what its about id be happy to bring ya out and let you try it out
Post collapse I promise to trade fruit & veg with you for meat and fish, it'll be like Steptoe and Son sans the horrid cockney accents.
02-06-2013, 13:19   #19
sheesh

RE gold I think it depends on how wide spread the situation is if the situation only affected ireland then it is a no brainer having gold could mean the difference between having to stay put and going to live in another country that wasn't affected. as long as there is a market somewhere for gold it would be worth having some at the moment though it is a bit high to buy as an investment.
(3) thanks from:
02-06-2013, 18:40   #20
Danpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheesh View Post
RE gold I think it depends on how wide spread the situation is if the situation only affected ireland then it is a no brainer having gold could mean the difference between having to stay put and going to live in another country that wasn't affected. as long as there is a market somewhere for gold it would be worth having some at the moment though it is a bit high to buy as an investment.
I think that's the key; there has to be a market for it. If the world goes down the swanny then there may be very few people who are looking so far ahead to times when gold becomes viable again. IMO, if it gets bad, most will be looking at where their next rat and grass stew is going to come from. So, when we roll up offering a can of beans and some salt and flour to make some flat bread we'll be viewed as rock stars........when we whip out the can opener from our back pocket we'll be viewed as rock GODS
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2013, 19:48   #21
The Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpad View Post
.when we whip out the can opener from our back pocket we'll be viewed as rock GODS
Why am I thinking of the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" with the indestructible Coke Bottle....
Thanks from:
02-06-2013, 20:26   #22
jugger

Quote:

you could do it silentrust you just have never been hungry enough that's all

@ aaakev

you said

I eat rabbit every week nearly because i hunt them and i eat pheasant during the hunting season when i can shoot them. Rabbit is one of the leanest meats you can get and it tastes great!

I thought rabbit meat was too lean and caused rabbit starvation
source ( I know I know its wiki so I am taking it with a pinch of salt )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

as an occasional supplement to a diet they would be nice but would it be worth keeping them as a food source would it be worth the effort as the return is so little ???

I am just asking as wifey has a pet rabbit ( sir hopsalot )and I would give serious thought to getting a second so I could harvest there offspring if it was worth it nutrition wise
02-06-2013, 21:11   #23
silentrust
Closed Account

Quote:
I think that's the key; there has to be a market for it. If the world goes down the swanny then there may be very few people who are looking so far ahead to times when gold becomes viable again. IMO, if it gets bad, most will be looking at where their next rat and grass stew is going to come from. So, when we roll up offering a can of beans and some salt and flour
to make some flat bread we'll be viewed as rock stars........when we whip out the can opener from our back pocket we'll be viewed as rock GODS
Just pray we don't get lynched in the meantime! :-)
02-06-2013, 21:15   #24
sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

@ aaakev

you said

I eat rabbit every week nearly because i hunt them and i eat pheasant during the hunting season when i can shoot them. Rabbit is one of the leanest meats you can get and it tastes great!

as an occasional supplement to a diet they would be nice but would it be worth keeping them as a food source would it be worth the effort as the return is so little ???

I am just asking as wifey has a pet rabbit ( sir hopsalot )and I would give serious thought to getting a second so I could harvest there offspring if it was worth it nutrition wise
thats only if you eat only rabbit meat and nothing else. bought one once from a local butcher I have to say it was feckin lovely on the bar-b-q! tastes like bacon texture like chicken
Advertisement
02-06-2013, 22:52   #25
silentrust
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

@ aaakev

you said

Hurt a little fluffy bunny? Never! This is why I grow veg and want to keep chickens for the eggs... If it comes down to it, I'll trade a live one with one of you for something essential and you can kill it at your leisure.
03-06-2013, 10:52   #26
ShadowFox

Quote:
I've been stockpiling my own form of 'gold' in the shape of bog roll, coffee and first aid kit/hygiene products.
Like Danpad Ive been stocking up on bog roll, coffee, cuppa soups, first aid, hygiene, water purification tablets and a few cheap tools that I dont use any more but rather than dump them I put them away in a tub
Thanks from:
03-06-2013, 11:01   #27
eirator
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
Like Danpad Ive been stocking up on bog roll, coffee, cuppa soups, first aid, hygiene, water purification tablets and a few cheap tools that I dont use any more but rather than dump them I put them away in a tub
Keep an eye on the cuppa soups because I found that some have a much shorter usable shelf life than you'd imagine. I expected them to be fine well after the UBD but I threw out a load that went off just after the UBD. Some cuppa soups need thoughtful handling as the dried contents have pointy edges which perforate that sealed bags if much weight it put on them.
Thanks from:
03-06-2013, 11:04   #28
eirator
Closed Account

Quote:
Hurt a little fluffy bunny? Never! This is why I grow veg and want to keep chickens for the eggs... If it comes down to it, I'll trade a live one with one of you for something essential and you can kill it at your leisure.
Just wait till there's a little fluffy bunny grazing its way through your veg patch, you'll be planning all sorts of cruel and unusual revenge.
Thanks from:
03-06-2013, 11:06   #29
silentrust
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
That's the spirit Shadowfox, anything you don't use can be traded for something you need.

My better half and I keep a large supply of food underneath the double bed and operate a "first in last out" rotation.

Apparently one of the first mistakes survivalists make is to stockpile food they don't actually eat, and in some cases have no way to prepare e.g bags of grain, so I thought we would keep it simple by laying in food we eat anyway.

Would like to ask you more about water purification tablets but perhaps best to do this in separate thread.
03-06-2013, 11:08   #30
ShadowFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirator View Post
Keep an eye on the cuppa soups because I found that some have a much shorter usable shelf life than you'd imagine. I expected them to be fine well after the UBD but I threw out a load that went off just after the UBD. Some cuppa soups need thoughtful handling as the dried contents have pointy edges which perforate that sealed bags if much weight it put on them.
I opened one that was passed its UBD (didnt check) I would not recommend it I nearly turned inside out after. So now I check and double check. Another few items that are handy to stockpile would be Lighters, Matches, Candles, Even some batteries but not too many
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion