Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013 - Page 293 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-05-2013, 11:19   #4381
Gbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

I'd like to think that if we did scrape fourth next season we wouldn't be hugging and kissing after the final whistle or celebraring in the dressing rooms like we won the league. But that's probably unrealistic.
Getting fourth for us would be a huge acheivement. It's far less of one for Arsenal given they've been in it for about 15 years.
Advertisement
20-05-2013, 11:21   #4382
mike65
Closed Account

Everyone loves stats so here is (drum roll) "The season in numbers"

Points total 61 (average ppg of 1.61) Best month March 3 wins 1 defeat ppg 2.25

Matches----------Home Away
WIN 16 (42%)-------9----7
DRAW 13 (34%)-----6----7
LOSS 9 (24%)-------4----5

Goals for
Total 71---Home 33/Away 38 (best away total in LFC PL history)
Goals against
Total 43---Home 16/Away 27

Failed to score 8 games

Average 3.00 goals per game

Biggest win Newcastle 0 - 6 Liverpool
Biggest defeat West Brom 3 - 0 Liverpool

10 games with victory by 2 goals or more
6 games with defeats by 2 goals or more

----------------Total---Home---Away
Under 2.5 gls ----34%-----47%---21%
Over 2.5 gls -----66%-----53%---79%

Clean sheets 16 games (42%)

Longest undefeated runs - 8 games, twice 29/09/12 to 25/11/12 and 31/03/13 to 19/05/13
Longest run without win 5 games 18/08/12 to 23/09/12

Doubles
Victories - Norwich, Fulham, Wigan
Draws - Manchester City, Everton, Chelsea
Defeats - West Brom, Manchester Utd,

Shots on goal 10.03 (highest in league)
Shots wide 7.50 (highest in league)
Fouls 9.92 (14th in league)
Corners 7.50 (highest in league)
Possession 53.41 (7th in league, yes only 7th!)

12 different goal scorers

Suarez 23
Sturridge 10
Gerrard 10
Henderson 5
Coutinho 3
Agger 3
Enrique 2
Škrtel 2
Sterling 2
Downing 3
Johnson 1
Borini 1

Last edited by mike65; 20-05-2013 at 11:25.
20-05-2013, 11:22   #4383
gafferino

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatawaster View Post

If we get 4th next season the players can celebrate any way they want. It's the single most important step we can make to getting back towards being a title challenging/winning team, more so than winning any domestic cup. As long as the celebration doesn't spill over into the following August . . .
Yeah i think this is Lloyds point in fairness. Its a brilliant achievement to get 4th. Everyone one of us would be over the moon and so would the team, management etc. But I would prefer to see a lower key celebration...as in yes job done now lets kick on. Fergie/Roy Keane mentality - dont settle.
20-05-2013, 11:22   #4384
Knex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafferino View Post
I agree with you on the Arsenal point. I was surprised to see them celebrating so much and older teams definitely wouldnt have done so.
However I think there are 2 reasons for it.
1: It has been years since Arsenal challenged at the top. 04/05 was the last time they finished 2nd and 07/08 was the last time they were in contention (3rd with 83 points). Obvisouly this is due to Chelsea and City being so strong now along with Man U. Arsenal expectations are now lower (never mind having not one silverware in donkeys).
2: The run in they had was unbelievable. I think someone posted it earlier 16G 14 wins or something like that. So it was a mountain they had to climb and they did it in fairness. A lot of relief there for sure but yeah I was surprised at the reaction too.

Lloyd im not looking to start an argument or massive Monday debate or anything but Im just interested to see what positives you think (if any) you see under Rodgers and this seasons team?
And it was all going so well...
20-05-2013, 11:23   #4385
whatawaster

Do we really think we didn't celebrate wildly after beating Charlton in May 2001 to qualify for the Champions League?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-05-2013, 11:27   #4386
whatawaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
Possession 53.41 (7th in league, yes only 7th!)
57% according to the official site.

But BR might be massaging those stats (And Joe Allen's)
20-05-2013, 11:27   #4387
Knex.

The notion of not celebrating qualifying for the CL on the final day of the season, especially after the run Arsenal had, I don't understand.

There was a team that outperformed the entire league for the last 10 games and just scraped in by a point. They have every right to be delighted.

Fair enough if they were chasing 1st and slipped down to 4th, you wouldn't expect them to celebrate, but that quite obviously wasn't the scenario. Doesn't mean that they don't have the ambition to challenge next season.

Its a bit like saying that Hull shouldn't have celebrated direct promotion to the PL because they didn't win the Championship. Its all about perspective.
20-05-2013, 11:28   #4388
missingtime
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafferino View Post
Yeah i think this is Lloyds point in fairness. Its a brilliant achievement to get 4th. Everyone one of us would be over the moon and so would the team, management etc. But I would prefer to see a lower key celebration...as in yes job done now lets kick on. Fergie/Roy Keane mentality - dont settle.
I think having a few old heads around to calm everyone down will be required if we do indeed get CL next year.

A case of, look we haven't won anything yet, we need to make sure that this is a perquisite.
20-05-2013, 11:36   #4389
Morzadec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knex. View Post
I could manage United and they'd still come top 4. Their squad is just that good. The idea that they won't be there or there abouts next season is absurd tbh.

Neville alluded to it yesterday, but Arsenal could really start to kick on now. They've recovered from the financial layout for their stadium and could really start to put the funds into their squad again.

Be very worrying if they did.
3rd is the lowest they've fallen in the last 20 years or so.

I think people are overestimating the Fergie factor, or perhaps misjudging it.

Ferguson's main strength was arguably his squad building - that squad is still there.

If Moyes is as bad as many are saying then it will not be until 3 or 4 years from now that this truly manifests (in terms of possibly dropping towards 4th or lower).

For me United are the most known quantity of the 3.

I would have more questions about City who have finished this season with the form of a team not good enough to get into the top 4, and who have a new (still unknown) manager coming in and very unpredictable owners.

Also, while I tip Chelsea to really push on next season, they only actually mathematically qualified for the CL on the last day of the season, and came 6th the year before, so you would have to see them as a more likely drop out than United.

It would be a remarkable turnaround, a fail of epic proportions for Moyes not to get top 4 next season, a 15-20 point drop. I don't see it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-05-2013, 11:39   #4390
Dont be at yourself

Quote:
I could manage United and they'd still come top 4. Their squad is just that good. The idea that they won't be there or there abouts next season is absurd tbh.
People were no doubt saying the same when Clough replaced Revie at Leeds, when Santini replaced Roux, or when Sounes replaced Kenny. It's a delicate time for United, and there's no guarantee that it will work out.
20-05-2013, 11:40   #4391
amiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefferboi View Post
I had one of these when I was a kid
Happy memories
Thanks from:
20-05-2013, 11:42   #4392
gafferino

Quote:
And it was all going so well...
Ah no not at all. Im just interested to see if the people who dont like our current regime see any positives. We've had the other argument in detail numerous times and while i havent always agreed with their points they raise interesting questions at times so just interested to hear a different slant (if any).
20-05-2013, 11:42   #4393
whatawaster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-22596223

Sterling assault charge dropped.
20-05-2013, 11:43   #4394
meriwether

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
My point is the following really:

- Arsenal shouldn't be celebrating 4th place like they did yesterday. Would the 2004 squad have celebrated 4th like that?
- Spurs should have committed fully to the EL when they were at the Quarter Final Stage (or the FA Cup semi final last year). They've had a good team the past couple of years but sacrificed the opportunity of getting something tangible to define the period at the altar of fourth place;

I'd like to think that if we did scrape fourth next season we wouldn't be hugging and kissing after the final whistle or celebraring in the dressing rooms like we won the league. But that's probably unrealistic.
If you come fourth next season, you'll sh1t yourself with happiness.
20-05-2013, 11:44   #4395
gafferino

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatawaster View Post
No surprise there.
Thread Closed